Baltimore Riots

Discussion in 'People' started by AstralBear, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AstralBear

AstralBear Feed the Bear

I don't care what belief system you follow--pray, send light & love, project positive energy and thoughts, or just hope for the best for the people of Baltimore right now. There is a lot of ugliness there right now, so take a minute or two please.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Sorry this was deleted. People are welcome to discuss this topic. :)

3. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I was listening to the charges being leveled against the police...
    That explains why the National Guard is lining the streets.

Wow, did the police ever fuck this one up.
    I'm sure if it was a rich white guy they arrested, he would've got some medical attention.

What blows me away is Freddie Gray didn't commit any crime, and the police had no reason to arrest him at all.
    Then the way he was treated, like a piece of meat, is just unbelievable.

May justice be done.

1 person likes this.
  4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

There are no words to express how impressed I am with Marilyn Mosby right now. I liked everything she said, and the way she said it. Incredible courage and determination for someone her age.

Short version of her statement: Charges have been filed against six officers.

After many months of frustrating, similar, unresolved situations in multiple American cities, it appears that Baltimore may get this one right.

3 people like this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The video doesn't start with the approach of the police and the original take down and it ends before he was put in the van. His legs were dragging when the video starts, so perhaps one of the cops "knelt " on this back juuuuust a little too HARD? Man, has the scene changed with the advent of phone video.

The vast black ghettos in the large cities have been ignored for generations and still are---and as long as 'they' stay there and take what's given to them--which is a little of nothin' that helps them, all is well. Welfare should not be a forever situation--BUT--JOBS are needed here for those who have been left behind. Instead--those most "empathetic"
    of politicians--dem AND repub, allow jobs to go where they can make the most money, skirt safety regulations and basically screw US workers. Frankly, I don't know why black folks have as much patience as they do. Poor whites also. It's OUR faults that we continue to watch as the so-called American dream turns into an American nightmare.

Oh yeah--this is most assuredly a racist country,

2 people like this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I am really glad they decided to press charges.

it is unfortunate that most of white America is choosing only to focus on the looting and destruction of property. I really think the past couple of years have provided America with a chance for an honest and open dialogue about systemic racism, but many people seem to be turning a blind eye and deaf ear to it all, because "they're destroying their neighborhood!" Or "if they just wouldn't be criminals there would be no problem!", all very convenient excuses for ignoring the real issue.

and then sadly I've seen some people just excuse their own ignorance with "but they're just ****** ****** niggers." How people can be so hateful in this day and age is beyond me.

7. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

It really is tragic what happened, and ideally no one would ever be in that position, but the guy had constant run ins with law enforcement. From looking at his rap sheet, I think we can safely say he was a crack dealer, and has been charged with burglary, malicious destruction of property, and separate charges of assault. Who cares what color his skin was, this guy was a criminal. He's the guy getting people hooked on addictive drugs in his neighborhood. He has committed non drug related crimes as well.

Just as in the Mike Brown case, if the officers are actually guilty they should get what they deserve. As of now it is universally proported, that they ARE guilty. I've seen no evidence of that. I've seen the arrest videos. The guy had constant run ins with police, and tried to run on this occasion. He hurt his leg, most likely when they caught him, and they carried him to the police van after separating him from his knife. There was absolutely no observable beating of Freddie Gray.

Over 100 police brutality accusations have resulted in payouts for plaintiffs. Either he thrashed himself around the van in an attempt to be compensated or this was the most impressive van driver ever, and he was able to murder Freddie Gray by giving him a rough ride. It was probably the latter huh.

Hands up, don't shoot. Rushing cop, don't shoot.

Let me declare something, I'm not going with my feelings on this. These are purely my thinkings. I'm looking at this case with sobriety and I would have the same thinkings about a pale heroin dealer and his interaction with police. You guys are inserting race without any proof or rational argument.

8. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
    March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault
    January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing
    January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute
    December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute
    December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance
    August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing
    January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana
    September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape
    April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation
    July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute
    March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
    March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute
    February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance
    August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation
    August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana
    August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
    July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

whether he is a criminal or not is irrelevant. A cops job is to make an arrest after witnessing or proving a crime and to deliver the criminal to the jailhouse to await formal charges.

cops do not have the right to play prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner.

3 people like this.
  10. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

and they weren't. Which part of the officers' behavior did you see which you most object to? If they were doing their job near perfectly, how would the video have looked any different? What part of you is totally sure they were in the wrong?

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well lets see...what was he charged with, for starters? Secondly why didn't they put him in a seat belt in the van? How did his head smash into the bolt that the corner has ruled the cause of his death?

12. scratcho

There seems to be less and less compassion/empathy for the downtrodden here than ever before, what with the lying, bullshit talking heads blabbing 24/7/365 blaming the victims.

It's human nature to fear that which is different, but what the hell--we're all here on a temporary basis--can't we at least intellectualize

right from wrong and act accordingly when it comes to our fellow humans? What in the world do racists gain by disdaining people because of

appearance? It's shallow and antithetical to the tenets that religion (which most people in the states SAY they believe) follow and manifests hypocrisy at its finest.

1 person likes this.
  13. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

I expect the delay on the release of these reports and those in the Mike Brown case is intended to get more anger brewing. I think there's a fair amount of evidence that the same people who want the police state to grow, want rioting and a good reason for practicing martial law, and curfews. I would bet he was going to be charged with drug possession. Maybe he ditched them while in flight, maybe he still had them on himself.

I've seen the reports that say the inside of the van was totally smooth and there were no bolts to make that kind of mark. There's a lot of fishy details about all these stories.

Is it totally clear to you guys that the media are the first to latch onto these stories and drum up as much controversy as possible? It's become a self sustaining meme at this point I think, but white on black violence is the exception, not the rule. Statistics on violence could seriously not be any more conclusive in this regard. The media takes the exception, and hypes up its importance to such an extent that the people portrayed as the victims on TV, buy into the hype and internalize that position, absorbing it into their subconscious.

Mike Brown and Trayvon Martin were the physical aggressors. To portray them as victims is disingenuous at best. Eric Garner and Freddie Grey appear to be tragic victims, who ACTED STUPIDLY. No officer was actively trying to hurt either of them. It really is not a black-white thing dudes. It's clearly a violating statutes, and resisting apprehension thing. A white person who acts like this, gets treated like this. If Mike Brown happened to be white, he'd be a big scary white attacker who had to be neutralized. White Trayvon Martin would be a kid who physically attacked someone, STARTED a fight and got shot. Freddie Grey would be a white, scumbag dope dealer who was trying to win compensation for his injuries.

14. scratcho

Let's blame the victim. After all he probably had a really GOOD job and has been treated very well by the cops all his life. Yeah--he was born that way, just like most blacks are. Right? You, neanderthal,are a disappointment.

15. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

I judge him on the content of his character. He could be white or purple or green. I empathize with him for any real unnecessary force he endured, but how much of it was self inflicted? Possibly all of it. WHY are you people of the mind that if he was a well known white scumbag he would have been treated any differently? If he was a white, dope dealing thief with assaults on his record, we see the same individual result with no coverage by the media.

16. Nerdanderthal

Nerdanderthal Members

Is it possible in your mind, that he was completely lacking of the intellectual skills that a good job would demand?

Do you think it's impossible that as poor as he was, as desperate as he was, that he intended to injure himself intentionally to benefit from the police brutality compensation system? They've paid out $5.7 million dollars since January 2011. Did you see literally one shred of police brutality?

I wish every baby to be as smart as possible and inherit from their parents an innate problem solving prowess. I wish for them to be able to plan ahead, and anticipate the consequences of their actions. I wish for them to possess critical thinking skills, and an aptitude for abstract thought.

I feel bad for Freddie Grey and everyone born in his circumstance, but I think about solutions. I think about the officers' position and the situations they find themselves dealing with daily.

17. scratcho

Read post 5. Try to understand the background of black people and get past what you observe NOW. This is a very racist country and it needs to stop.

18. scratcho

Yes , I'm sure he tried to injure himself--you know how them-there damn niggers are!

19. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I don't wanna really say anything on account of being banned again.. but if there were riots out here again, i'd loot whole foods!!

20. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Anyone seen the charging kids video(s)?

Rather heart-warming.

You can only push people so far - eventually when they push back, nobody will listen to that BS about how they should just keep taking it forevermore, and now isn't the right time or way to do something.

If you don't like how people naturally respond when you push and antagonize them as far as you possibly can, the solution is to stop pushing them, not to whine that they need to stop squirming under your boot before you listen to them.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.