I Want To Be A Freeform Radio Dj. Any Advice For Me?

Discussion in 'Art' started by GoingHome, Apr 14, 2015.

1. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

My voice is not especially mellow or pleasant, I don't guess.
    I have absolutely zero experience being live on air.

All I have is a very, very extensive knowledge of a wide variety of music.

Maybe I should take a voice class?
    Go to a college and get some experience?
    (*Sigh*) Start focusing on one genre of music?

I don't think I'll make any money doing this...just in it for the love of music. [​IMG]

2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm a bit similar.I'm not a professional singer,but started writing my own songs at 17,which evolved from trying to write poetry.I still play and record,have jammed with practice bands,but don't ever expect to make it in the business,and at this point wouldn't really want to anyway.

If you're just starting out try not to make negative comparisons with the artists you like.You're you,unique,so let what ever is inside of you come out.Your voice is like an instrument.Play with it.Deep low voices with little range can be cool to if you can't hit the high notes.Try just making silly sounds for a bit and explore the capacities of your own tone.Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Sorry.I didn't read the thread title closely enough.So you want to DJ.I had presumed you wanted to sing.I have no idea about how to DJ.Some of my advice might still be relevant though.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Make your own internet radio show/podcast?

1 person likes this.
  5. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I've thought about that...but I just don't see it gaining any traction and I think I'd be kind of 'throwing away' my knowledge to others who could use my hard earned treasures to advance themselves in a more professional outlet. (If that makes any sense.) I mean, music is everywhere now, free for the taking, that's one of the reasons I know so much about it, but it also kind of lessens the value of it.

Still trying to figure out an angle ...some way to make a podcast, or something, really stand out.
    Or make my voice and opinions stand out? But I really just want to be kind of rewarded for knowing a lot about music.

[​IMG]