Do You Ever Think Of Commiting Suicide?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by atsizat9050, Apr 9, 2015.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Here's hoping that your life starts un-sucking itself soon. I think you probably deserve a better deal than the one you got.

magickman and Eavesdrop like this.
  2. LittleBee

LittleBee Members

it happened five years ago, but we still don't know what caused his action. he shot himself with a hunting weapon. I can only say he didn't have problems with money/girlfriend/family/friends/university.

3. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The mind has a tendency to look at the negatives rather than the positives. If a person gave you 10 compliments and an insult,you are bound to remember the insult rather than the compliments.

Similarly the mind looks at all the negative experiences of life rather than the positive.

A good way to overcome this tendency is to keep a diary recording all your positive qualities, achievements and good moments. Keep it in a safe place, create two or three copies of it, and refer it from time to time when you get negative thoughts or get depressed.,

You will see all negativities go off and a positive, energetic mood emerging.

I did this after going through some books on psychology, and I get a great positive energy boost after going through my diary. All depression, negativity comes to an end or is mitigated to a large extent.

Krishna used this method to motivate his highly demoralised friend Arjuna back to high spirits again.

The christian minister Norman Vincent Peale also used this method to motivate a financially broken middleaged man back to a positive attitude and spirits, as recorded in his book, 'The power of positive thinking'.

4. Candybuttons

Candybuttons Sweet Member

Sometimes..

5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I get annoyed when people say 'seek professional help' if the person wanted to live they would have.

I would rather a loved one died from suicide rather than someone breaking into their home and killed.

1 person likes this.
  6. Candybuttons

Candybuttons Sweet Member

People that are really going to commit suicide don't tell anyone that they are gonna do it, they just do it!

1 person likes this.
  7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

So no need to tell that person to seek help.

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

I see where your coming from..

Had someone in my family do it couple years ago, no one guessed he would do that, he had his reasons, and left everything in place having taken care of everything first..Everyone wishes they had known what he was planning, but they didn't, because it's not what he wanted..

9. newbie-one

I've done some volunteer suicide counseling, and one of the types of suicidal people that I've come across is someone who superficially seems to have it together, but they're faking it. Inside they feel horrible. Often they don't even know why they feel that way.

I think for that type of person, there's really no way to see it coming.

It could be that other friends and certainly his family are still traumatized by this. Talking with them about it might be helpful.

1 person likes this.
  10. newbie-one

I guess it can come off as dismissive or a stock answer. And I suppose that most people already know that therapy and medication exist and they don't need to be told that. Still, medication and therapy are some of the best and fastest ways to get someone out of a suicidal depression.

I suppose the first thing to do when someone tells you that they feel suicidal is to listen and try to understand.

Encouraging someone to try some form of treatment should probably come next though.

I guess either way would be pretty rough. With suicide though, the friends and family that are left behind often feel tremendous guilt, and feel as if they was some sign that they should have seen or something that they should have done.

11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I would feel bad because I wasn't there i would still wonder if there was something I could have done if my mom was robbed and killed. And then I would live with anger for some stranger and just think of what I would do to him if I caught him. And then I would have to worry about jail after that. Neither are happy subjects but I am angry enough as it is. I don't know how having more added on would effect me.

1 person likes this.
  12. newbie-one

I'm not sure what the stats are. My guess is that people who talk to other people about feeling suicidal are much more likely to get some level of help and support, and therefor kill themselves at a lower rate. I think there are people who both say they are feeling suicidal and actually follow through though.

I'm going to post a few links here, just because it's relevant to the discussion

Treating Depression and Anxiety http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/458019-treating-depression-and-anxiety/

Acupressure self-massage for depression and insomnia http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/478672-acupressure-self-massage-for-treating-depression-and-insomnia/

Also www.suicideforum.com I think that there may be some other forums out there for suicide and mental health issues, but I'm not that familiar with them.

Hip Forums isn't necessarily always a bad place to talk about being suicidal, but I've seen posts here to the effect of "go ahead and do it you attention whore", and since this is more or less a free speech site, there isn't necessarily grounds to have it removed.

Sorry to hear this Morrow

1 person likes this.
  13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I was just going to say something about this.

Anyone who has been on social sites probly know how things will go.
    Let's play pretend for a sec.....
    I am considering suicide and I want to talk things out with people. I know I am not going to do it but I know I could be pushed over the edge if something major happened. (Lost job, lose house, lose love of life ect...whatever)
    So I come on here and say I have been depressed I thought about suicide I am worried about my kids and things have been tough....(and whatever else this make believe person is going though)
    I can tell you the response already.
    Man up.
    Stop being an attention whore.
    Seek help
    Troll

So why would I bring it up if I had some similar issues. The idea is to avoid negativeaty.

14. newbie-one

If you're a newb, you're way more likely to get that. If you've been around for a while, I think people would be a little more positive.

Going to a suicide-specific site might be better not only because it would be aggressively moderated, but also because the people there in most cases are going to have a lot more knowledge (and sympathy) about suicide issues.

I guessing PM'ing folks here wouldn't be a bad idea though if you know them or they are generally sympathetic.

1 person likes this.
  15. LittleBee

LittleBee Members

That sounds right. I read it somewhere - something comes across a human beings mind and he ends up commuting a suicide.

I notice that when a person want to murder himself he keeps it quiet unlike those who threaten their friends/family/whoever.

I find suicide not normal. it conflicts with self-preservation.

16. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

I deleted the song I posted here. That reverse psychology wouldn't work on everyone. Just people who are too stubborn to let people call them weak and bitch-made.

Apologies if I offended anyone.

17. newbie-one

I think it may be wise not to pass judgment. Anyone can be brought to the point of not wanting to live, it's a matter of how much pressure has to be applied before they feel that way.

18. TopNotchStoner

Not really trying to pass judgment. Trying some reverse psychology. If I was feeling suicidal and someone talked to me like that, I'd be like "fuck that.......I'm not bitchboy. Life kills everyone, but it's not gonna kill me yet". I understand that may not be the best approach for everyone. lol

I've always looked at it like this............no matter how bad things are, they can be worse, and you never know what's around the corner. Life is a never-ending search for smiles, and it's almost guaranteed that any person who happens to be feeling down WILL smile again.

​I'm not a Christian man, but these are two Christian rappers. Both songs are about suicide and those you leave behind.

In this song, the artist is rapping from the POV of the suicidal friend, then the second verse he's rapping as the friend who was left behind by the suicidal dude after he killed himself. He's crying and screaming while he's rapping at his dead friend in his casket It's very artful, creative, and sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKbw1Cqpt0

​This song is about a kid whose mom killed herself with pills. NF is a Christian rapper too, and if that other song doesn't make you cry, this one just might. You have to listen to the very end of the track though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOzQMCyPc8o

19. TopNotchStoner

I edited that post. Not everyone is like me and my irl friends.

20. TopNotchStoner

Check out those two songs I posted though. Religious or not, they're amazing and they tell/show how suicide affects the people who're left behind.

1 person likes this.