40 replies to this topic

#1 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted April 07 2015 - 02:20 PM

Do you think there will be a thermonuclear war at some point in the future or will humanity evolve to perpetually keep this at bay,because it's the only chance we have.

Posted Image

#2 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted April 07 2015 - 02:23 PM

Furthermore,do you think the threat of war relativizes more immediately pressing problems?

Posted Image

#3 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted April 07 2015 - 02:37 PM

I don't think there will be an all-out nuclear war. The only reason the "powers that be" would allow that to happen would be if humanity grew to an unsustainable population. That would be one solution but the problem is that the collateral damage would not be worth what would be gained. So you take out a billion or two people but....an entire area of the planet is now useless for everyone left. There are better ways.

#4 HeathenHippie

HeathenHippie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted April 07 2015 - 04:04 PM

It seems inevitable that someone somewhere will get around to using a nuke/some nukes in war, but I don't worry so much about a globe killing (strategic rather than tactical) nuclear war. I worry more the dumber and more ideological are the leaders of the nuclear equipped nations -- Reagan damn near got us all killed in '83 while I was wearing a US Air Force uniform and spending my time working at a missile warning radar. (You can find out how he managed to put us at as great or greater peril than during the Cuban Missile Crisis if you search the web for "Able Archer". And earlier that same year things got twitchy on the Soviet side -- search for "Stanislov Petrov" to learn about that.)

That all said, the stupid fucks who run Israel scare me because at the moment they're the dumbest and most ideological nuclear power, and in my estimation the most likely to use tactical nuclear weapons at this time. Were it to happen that someone as stupid and ideological as, say, Ted Cruz, were to be elected president of the US, then the US would scare me more than Israel does just because of our greater capacity to ruin the world prematurely. (Prematurely meaning "before the sun, an asteroid, a massive volcanic event, or some other force of nature does it".)

... for dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

#5 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted April 07 2015 - 04:20 PM

Some dipshit will push a button somewhere... Then some dipshit on the other side will have to retaliate. Or a scarier situation, some hacker will do it for them.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#6 Thefutureawaits

Thefutureawaits

Psalms 37:29

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted April 07 2015 - 05:55 PM

Global disaster will not happen. Dont touch God's eye.

#7 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted April 07 2015 - 06:00 PM

No offense but I'm pretty sure God can not intervene. If God was going to intervene, I can think of plenty of times when it was warranted and didn't seem to happen. If it could have happened and didn't....I'll just let that lack of action speak for itself. If everything that has happened was just part of the plan (thus...no intervention)....well....I'll let that speak for itself too.

• Tyrsonswood likes this

#8 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted April 07 2015 - 06:14 PM

...... Dont touch God's eye.

Ummm..... What?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

#9 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 15,849 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted April 07 2015 - 06:55 PM

Well, I mean, the way we've been going about things, do the people in charge even care about the environment if we were to drops the bombs?

We're already ruining it... and no one cares now. Add the title "president of the world" at stake, shit son... motherfucker'd live underground for that title...
Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#10 Thefutureawaits

Thefutureawaits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted April 07 2015 - 09:39 PM

Ummm..... What?

I do believe God will step in before any huge nuclear disaster. Armeggedon will come before a nuclear incident.

The bible says the earth will stand until times indefinite, which means forever.
A global nuclear bombing will definitely ruin the earth. God is not going to let that happen. His plan is in motion as we speak.

#11 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• PipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted April 07 2015 - 10:00 PM

There will be more nukes set off.

As to how many, we can only hope, I guess.

RIP cosmoknot.

image.php?u=191931&type=sigpic&dateline=

Missing at ocala: A true feminist, rumored to be traveling with bigfoot and a man of impeccable scottish credentials.

#12 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted April 07 2015 - 11:26 PM

I mean if there was an unavoidable massive asteroid on collision course with Earth,and our attempts to destroy or deflect it failed,do you think the gooberments would contrive some quick nuke war as a better option to the chaos of going through that?

Edited by Iron John, April 07 2015 - 11:27 PM.

Posted Image

#13 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• PipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 12:51 AM

I mean if there was an unavoidable massive asteroid on collision course with Earth,and our attempts to destroy or deflect it failed,do you think the gooberments would contrive some quick nuke war as a better option to the chaos of going through that?

Nahh.

But I do think the best option would be a giant international nuclear "strike" as far out in space as we could, to give time for any successive bombings necessary.

That's really about the only reasonable (and not barbaric or very short-sighted) use of nuclear energy I can imagine. I think the waste and crap we're digging up and the ways we pathologically fuck up with it and don't take it seriously is the real danger - there have been many times it was a real concern, but I don't think we'll die of nuclear holocaust. I think some people will die in some attacks by some countries/people, at some point, but I don't think anyone will push the mutually assured destruction button, because assuring mutual destruction means assuring your own destruction.... and no matter how bad it is, destruction is worse in that it simply doesn't exist. Just about nobody will make that choice. It's pretty hard to be convinced that it's better to choose to kill millions or billions. (well, unless jesus is reeeeaaaalllllyyyy on your side - which is apparently, eerily, the case with USAF nuclear guys)

Millions, or billions, already suffer from the effects of digging up the most destructive stuff on our planet, and spreading it around for everybody to ingest. Cumulatively, I think there will be much greater suffering due to nuclear waste and spills and disasters, than weaponized uses of nuclear material.

Nuclear waste is the gift that keeps on giving. If you dig the shit out of pandora's box, there's just no good way to handle it - maybe it should have stayed in the fucking box.

Edited by RooRshack, April 08 2015 - 12:51 AM.

RIP cosmoknot.

image.php?u=191931&type=sigpic&dateline=

Missing at ocala: A true feminist, rumored to be traveling with bigfoot and a man of impeccable scottish credentials.

#14 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted April 08 2015 - 01:09 AM

There is a very large asteroid that orbits close to the Earth every three years.And new ones are discovered all the time.I think we need to devise multiple back up plans and try everything we can think of if we discover one that is def gonna hit us.

I just think the current crises in the world,including financial austerities,endemic social breakdown and global insecurity regarding conventional warfare in middle east,focuses people's attention on immediate survival problems rather than potential extinction events and environmental problems.

Posted Image

#15 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted April 08 2015 - 03:26 AM

I do believe God will step in before any huge nuclear disaster. Armeggedon will come before a nuclear incident.

The bible says the earth will stand until times indefinite, which means forever.
A global nuclear bombing will definitely ruin the earth. God is not going to let that happen. His plan is in motion as we speak.

And what's that got to do with touching God's eye?

Besides that, how do you know Armageddon isn't a nuclear war....

Seriously, dude, 2000+ year old writings, written by MEN  can't be taken so literally.

#16 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationNutopia

Posted April 08 2015 - 03:33 AM

Don't forget the Soviet sub B 59 and Vasili Arkhipov, the first man to save the world.

HYZx5b8.gif

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#17 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted April 08 2015 - 04:21 AM

Posted Image

#18 thedope

thedope

glad attention

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,667 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 05:50 AM

That is not what indefinite means,

lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time

Your life is of indefinite proportions.

Edited by thedope, April 08 2015 - 05:51 AM.

• Asmo likes this

#19 Rahl

Rahl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 06:13 AM

Nuclear war is inevitable. Skynet will simultaneously release every nuclear missle at the same time at 4:27 pm EST on June 12th 2019. :)

#20 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 06:14 AM

Classic LornaDoom. 

God will prevent a nuclear disaster so the prophecy of armaggedon can be fulfilled :D

• Tyrsonswood likes this

Posted Image

#21 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 06:22 AM

So you dropped the jehovah's witness facade huh?

Posted Image

#22 fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 07:45 AM

I would say it's going to be likelier as climate change grows more pronounced. 

India, Pakistan and China are expected to be hit with massive droughts at the end of this century, and all 3 of them are nuclear powers. China and India also have massive economies that could easily make them both into global superpowers within a few decades. 

If there is a war between India and China, it's quite possible that the rest of the world could be drawn into it. And this on top of the already sketchy situation in the Middle East that doesn't seem to have an end. 

Not to mention fascism is on the rise in Europe... and the GOP has almost fully devolved into a religious cult. Any political party that would deny climate change for the sake of campaign funding is probably also capable of waging nuclear war. 

I'd like to think that people are somewhat more aware of what nuclear war would actually mean for the planet than they were during the cold war, but the anti-science elements of the right make me think that we could even see right-wing mouthpieces insisting that the people who have studied these things are corrupt goons who love the enemy-of-the-year more than their own country. 

Some of the comments I've read online are more than enough to convince me that people could be easily manipulated into supporting a nuclear war. 

#23 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted April 08 2015 - 07:51 AM

Do the people who could eventually have their fingers on the button realize the potential global catastrophe of even just one tactical nuclear strike.It scares me that those in power could even begin to make the idea acceptable.Also there is a race by China and US to build sci-tech hardware to shoot down radar and defence satellites in space.This would only go to give the idea that a nuclear war is winnable.Trouble is this tech is not proving to be %100 reliable,although China has successfully knocked out a couple of satellites in tests.

Edited by Iron John, April 08 2015 - 08:06 AM.

Posted Image

#24 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 07:56 AM

I don't think there would be a 'nuclear war'. Either some party pushes the button or not. If they do, the war is over.

• Wizardofodd likes this

Posted Image

#25 neonspectraltoast

neonspectraltoast

• PipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 07:56 AM

Yes, there will be thermonuclear wars, but it won't be so bad.  Virtually every city on Earth will be destroyed, but country folks'll still be country folks.  That's really who makes America, anyway.

#26 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 08:00 AM

I don't think that Big Foot will allow it to happen.
  • Tyrsonswood likes this

#27 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 08:01 AM

It won't be so bad to lose most cities on earth and the people in it? Are you a misanthrope? Do you really think America will still be America if all the cities and their people are gone? If you're serious you seem disturbed.

Posted Image

#28 Thefutureawaits

Thefutureawaits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 09:08 AM

Classic LornaDoom.

God will prevent a nuclear disaster so the prophecy of armaggedon can be fulfilled :D

He wont prevent, he already knows whats gonna happen. Bible prophecy is accurate. No reason why armeggedon wont be to. Just as in the days of Noah, men and women were eating, drinking and marrying and people took no notice till the flood waters swept them away.

#29 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 09:11 AM

It is the contradictory statement that God would intervene in a nuclear disaster (that would have destructive impact on the world) in order to let armageddon happen that's especially typical for you. Sure, if a meteroid or something hits earth people will be eating, drinking etc. That's not remarkable or strange. 

So you really don't pose as a Jehovah's witness anymore?

Edited by Asmo, April 08 2015 - 10:00 AM.

Posted Image

#30 fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 09:51 AM

Yes, there will be thermonuclear wars, but it won't be so bad.  Virtually every city on Earth will be destroyed, but country folks'll still be country folks.  That's really who makes America, anyway.

But chances are the country folks will either die of radiation poisoning or from starvation during the resulting nuclear winter. 

Even a small-scale nuclear exchange could lower the planet's temperature enough to cause mass-starvation.