Synthetic Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Laci, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Laci

Laci Members

Hi dreadies! :)

I'm looking to do dreadlocks now that the weather is warming up. I love the style and have wanted them for about 10 years now- feeling like now is the time.
    As a dread newbie, I have some questions.

1) My hair is about 2 inches long in the back, shaved on the right side, and about 6-8 inches long on the left side. With my hair in this cut, could I put in synthetic dreads without it looking ridiculously phony or obvious? Anyone else have experience with synthetic dreads in short hair?

2) What is the best place to purchase synthetic dreads? Best material?

3) What's it like for maintenance?

Pretty much any knowledge you might have to share on synthetic dreadlocks would be so wonderful :) I'm looking forward to getting them!

2. +-Freedom-+

+-Freedom-+ Member

When I first got dreadlocks I had a few inches of synthetic dreaded hair put on the tips of my dreads, so they didn't look so short and silly. Once my locks grew out, I cut them off. The person I went to did a GREAT job matching to my natural hair color. You couldn't even tell, and you can always dye your hair if they don't match perfectly. You can't really tell by looking at them that they are not real, only by feeling them can you barely tell where your hair ends and the synthetic begins. I would recommend doing it, but it can be costly. Good luck!