Meeting Family For First Time

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by Laci, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Laci

Laci Members

I'm going to be meeting my dad's side of the family for the first time- very nervous. My dad passed away when I was about 2, and so I was raised by my mom. My dad's family never once tried to reach out to me, get to know me, or took any interest in me whatsoever. This didn't ever both me because I was content with my mom and her side of the family. Suddenly my dad's brother called us and invited me to a family reunion. I agreed to go.....now I'm having second thoughts.

The biggest struggle for me is that I wonder why they didn't take an interest in me.
    My biggest concern is that they'll be disappointed in how I turned out and regret ever contacting me.

Anyone else ever been in a similar circumstance?

2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

You will be fine ;) Just go along and be who you are ! might be the best thing that ever happened !
    But if its not then what have you lost FWIW I think your mom did a good job mate
    Your Ok :daisy:

3. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

If they cannot embrace you as the lovely girl you are, that is their loss. Hold your head high and be yourself.

I also wonder why they never stayed in contact though...that is sad.

4. Laci

Laci Members

It turned out to be pretty awkward, but not miserable. They all stared at me as if I was on display and said things like, "Wow, you sure have grown! I haven't seen you since you were this little!" I had absolutely no idea who any of these people were that kept coming up and hugging me. They were nice enough people, but I don't think I'll go to another family reunion- not because I didn't like them, but because they just don't feel like my family to me. Good experience to have had regardless.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If you weren't blood would you still have love or in fact does the blood make you think you have to love?

I've always pondered that sentence. It is in reference to family vs friends.

"I probably love my family more than anybody here but my friends are all family too, third cousins get outta here"

Looking at my family, it's quite a big family, but I also feel distant from most of them. Other than my immediates, mum, dad and sisters.. the aunts and uncles, they just aren't "us" and I no longer believe just because they're apart of an "extended family" that I should have to "love" them at all.

It's funny how in other peoples big moments in life, whom were never there for your big moments, how they all want a "family" occasion or that the "whole family" should be there.

Where were they?

6. Laci

Laci Members

No kidding. I've always felt that "family" had nothing to do with blood. The people I consider to be my family are the people who love me unconditionally, treat me with respect, support me, and that jive with my vibes if you know what I mean. I've had friends that were more like siblings to me than any other family.

2 people like this.