Can You Adopt A Dog?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by Aerianne, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Henry County Animal Care and Control
    March 24 at 9:47am ·

ADVANCE NOTICE! PLEASE SHARE AND HELP US IF YOU CAN!!!
    Improvements are being made at our animal shelter, including recoating the kennel walls in the three (3) main dog areas of the facility. The recoating is required in order to maintain compliance with the rules and regulations of the Georgia Department of Agriculture’s Animal Protection Division – which licenses all animal shelters in Georgia. The sandblasting and recoating of our walls will begin on May 1, 2015. The company has advised us that the process should take 2 -3 weeks and our dog kennel areas must be AS EMPTY AS POSSIBLE. In order to do this, we are doing two things;

1. Beginning immediately, we will be working to reduce our dog population at the shelter. We are hoping that publicity will provide incentive for owners to come reclaim their impounded pets as well as rescue groups and adopters to come forward. We will be reducing our normal adoption fee of $65.00 to $35.00 during the months of April and May to encourage increased adoptions.
    2. Beginning April 1, 2015, the Department will begin temporarily reducing services, as it is pointless to empty out the shelter only to fill it back up. Rather than impound stray dogs, we will increase our efforts to return them to their owners in the field. To the extent possible, we will function on an “emergency only” dog intake policy – meaning we will impound only dogs that have bitten a person or injured dogs with no responsible party to come to their aid.
    We need all the help we can in finding homes or rescue for as many of our sheltered dogs as we can! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!
    https://www.************/pages/Henry-County-Animal-Care-and-Control/111010718930677

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I hope you get some takers. Too many are put down.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aerianne

The containment areas are concrete block. Over the years the dogs have scratched the paint off the block, leaving the block an absorbent surface for bacteria, parasites, etc. They have to sandblast and repaint.

The Atlanta Humane Society came and picked up some dogs but I don't know how well it's going other than that.

I also see that Cherokee County has come and taken 9 more dogs! Yay!

They've cut the adoption fees in half.

I wish I cut squeeze another animal in here.

4. dopestats

dopestats Guest

Happy to hear you guys are getting much needed improvements. I got my Molly (a lovable dingo/chow/lab mix) from the Humane Society in Tallahassee and we couldn't be happier! She got along very well with our other rescue dog Zoe (Shiba Inu mix), and the two have become sisters. They ran a similar sale when I bought her for $25. The poor thing was a one year old stray, stomach down to ribs. Keep doing the good work you're doing

1 person likes this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was asked to put a new roof on the shelter in Hanford , Calif, when I worked in Calif. When I saw all the doggies just BEGGING for attention when I walked through, I broke up and told the lady I just couldn't work there. All the sweet little animals just wanting to be loved-------------I hate that so many are put down nationwide.

It has been said that one can tell what kind of a nation one lives in , in how the least of the inhabitants are treated. I guess we can see how we rate.

2 people like this.
  6. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

1 person likes this.
  7. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

I hear Red Setters are very adaptable. [​IMG]

8. Aerianne

Excuse me.

Was that humorous?