Marijuana Oil Self Seperating?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Forgotmypassword, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Forgotmypassword

Forgotmypassword Members

So today I took my first go at cooking marijuana oil. I had a lot of vaped bud sitting around that I figured I should put to use. So I cooked it into the least amount of olive oil that I possibly could for about an hour and a half. I kept it at such a low temperature that it did not even bubble and certainly didn't smoke. Anyway now that I have it sitting in a glass vial I notice some separation has occurred. The very top is a dark golden color,yet underneath is a nearly black color. There is a defined layer of particulate between the two layers as well. This might seem like a pointless question, but I am just confused how oil would separate from itself. I am wondering if some form of decomposition of the oil occurred, which I know can cause toxic byproducts in the oil, but I thought that only happened at the smoke point of oil. I have never even seen marijuana oil so I do not know if this is normal or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

didnt u say u used olive oil too..

3. Forgotmypassword

Forgotmypassword Members

I cooked the vaped bud straight into the olive oil. There was nothing else used.

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

try filtering it.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

you have both cannabis oil and olive oil.. its only reasonable that they would separate.

6. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Density is density, different oils would likely separate. Consider it fortunate. If you had a centrifuge you could pull the 2 oils most of the way apart.

7. JeanetteBlanchette

JeanetteBlanchette Members

And what about filtration????

8. adoutsider

adoutsider Member

Water from your buds got into the oil when it was hot. After it cooled the water and oil separated. You don't want to drink that black water. Use a make-shift separator funnel, and use cold salt water to rinse your olive oil a a couple times, or until you get clear water out. This will help reduce the flavor and color of your oil without hurting the potency, it will also make it much easier on the stomach.

IME your better off using an oil that solidifies when cold or at room temperature, coconut oil or butter. Then you can just dump water and oil into the buds, boil for hours without worry of burning/overheating. Then filter it all, just with a wire mesh strainer. When it cools the oil will separate from the water and float on top. I have done it both ways, and the result is much preferable with using water. It is also a lot easier to water rinse this way by melting, then cooling and pouring off the water.

Once you are done with all of that, blend in a small amount of vodka or everclear with soy lecithin into the butter, and you can get a much faster effect closer to smoking. It also increases potency by increasing the bio-availability of actives to your system.