Is Weed More Potent Today?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Motion, Feb 27, 2015.

1. HeathenHippie

HeathenHippie Member

The average weed is more potent, here in Colorado at least, because there's none of what we used to call "mersh" ("commercial", low grade Mexican pot) on the shelf.

The really great strains we used to smoke in the 1970's were at least as potent as anything you can get today. I've yet to see anything come out of a dispensary or retail shop that comes even close to the Maui Wowee I used to be able to get for about four months of the year. The earliest stuff on the streets wasn't as great because it was what the pigs stole from the growers, but a few weeks or a month later it was two hits on a pinner to couchlock if you were a regular smoker, and just one for everyone else. It was fun to take it to parties where people were drinking because all you had to do to mellow out some confrontational drunk was pass him the joint -- the combination of alcohol and Maui was sure to drop him.

Thai Stick was pretty variable, but the better Thai was stoney as hell and stronger than anything I've seen in this century. Not like Maui used to be, but still something you'd learn to be careful with.

There's a lot to be said for buying in a clean, well lit store without the least worry at all, knowing that you're not going to end up smoking schwag. :beatnik:

2. jeremysdemo

jeremysdemo Member

procuring weed now is like buying pedigree dogs for breeding, a lot of muts out there ya know?

you basically want to go back to the purest breed you can find if you want to get closer to the 70's 80's strains.

I used to get my seeds from Humboldt county area but that was before the late 80's when demands for higher THC strains shifted the market and hybrids like skunk started becoming popular. our strain names were mostly regional and genus related like sativa's Thai, Columbian gold, and indica's Kush for examples.

3. atsizat9050

atsizat9050 Members

It is in the USA. Not all around the world :D In Turkey, smoking weed sucks :D This is a reason why our stupid druggies go for synthetic weed because real weed dont make them feel a thing. You know weed is bad quality in Turkey. I am sure you would drink alcohol in Turkey because real weed wouldn't get you high here :D

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

fuck outta here with the synthetic weed shit man ... we know all about it okay.

5. Bud D

Bud D Member

It is a fact that seeds in cannabis lower the potency. Plus seeds contain an oil that breaks down cannabinoids. Crushed seeds break open and spill that oil. People used to and still do ship weed in compressed brick with seeds. People learned how to care for the plant, from the seed to the jar. There are also different methods of testing cannabis potency. Comparing percentages of cannabinoids is the most popular, due to the higher sounding scores. I think testing the whole bud and then stating what the cannabinoids rates are is the most accurate. We are smoking the whole and entire bud, not just the oils...unless your extracting.

6. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

Jiminy Cricket, give it a rest already