Cereal With Prizes

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by RainyDayHype, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I remember the Oscar Meyer Wiener Whistle!

[​IMG]

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'd like to go back to a time when potato scallops weren't as small as my palm and when I asked for 3, I'd get 5.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    and don't forget the records!​
    [​IMG]

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

i remember the plastic records and the frogman ..and the baking soda submarine ..

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

yup i remember and remember getting both of those. the frogman of course worked the same as the submarine. there was like a cup being the base of one foot and you put baking soda in it to make it work. the record, if i remember right, was so thin it was like a piece of plastic paper, was square until you cut off the corners, and only had groves on one side.

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

And if you notice, that record is a 78 RPM!

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i actually remember when more then half the boxes of cereal in the store were not over sugerfied with gimicy kid toy names to them.

i'm not saying those didn't exist yet, but they weren't the majority and they weren't the majority of what anyone bought either.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

They still had prizes when I was a kid but they were pretty lame. Even as a kid I knew it was cheap crap.

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It is funny you mention cracker jacks today. I bought a 3 pack of them this weekend, and it is the first time I have had them since a child......I remember plastic cute toys as prizes......now, they are a sticker that isn't even pretty that you can register on the internet.......wow......I heard when there were little metal prizes.....went to plastic and now there is paper ugly stickers..... :D

taste of cracker jacks is still good, though.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Correction...now cracker jacks is just the caramel coated popcorn and no peanuts.....at least in the box I opened so far........even though the box still says caramel coated popcorn and peanuts......and I have a box in front of me and it says cracker jacks has been around for 120 years. I wonder what the very first prizes were....gold? :D

it says now on the box about the prize...."and, now the fun you can carry to your smartphone"......so I don't even understand that.......do i put the stickers on my smartphone? or register them somewhere? I would not put these stickers on anything.... :D

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my little portable monaral record player had all three speeds; 33.5, 45, and 78.

13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

And there were the Proof of Purchase seals you could collect and send away for a prize.
    It wasn’t as much fun as the instant gratification you get with the prize inside.

You'd wait endlessly for the prize to arrive in the mail; then think WTF I waited this long for this cheap piece of crap.

Hotwater