The Kick Box - On Hip!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kick Frenzy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

yall are bustin out the pumpkin beers already?? I cant bring myself to do it just yet... still too hot out here

next month...

what is yalls favorite pumpkin beer? Mine would be night owl pumpkin ale from elysian brew co

1 person likes this.
  2. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

I've only made it a few posts in since I posted my last post.
    In my defense, I had to walk the dog between then and now.
    But since I'm posting this, it can only mean one thing... dessert course! :)

[​IMG]
    (Alc. 7.5%)

Smell: Hard to smell much through the two-finger head, but it smells spiced and deep.

Taste: Definitely has a more somber and darker taste, with spices filling out the backend. There's a definite pumpkin base, but it's nowhere near as prominent as I suspected from the label.

Overall, this is a smooth brew, with a creamy body. Very pleasant to drink. While I wouldn't recommend it for a bold pumpkin flavor, I can easily attest to it's Fall qualities and even-tempered flavor.

And again, I ended up with a SE(nough)FW pic. :)

[​IMG]

3. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Agreed.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's "the taint".

When I hear "the gooch", all I think of is... the bully from Diff'rent Strokes!

4. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

I'd say the pumpkin beers are bustin out on us!
    But that sounds dirty... and sticky...

Anyhoo, the point is... YES!
    I love me some Night fuckin Owl!
    Easily one of my faves, if not THE top of my list.

So far tonight, I've had two good pumpkin beers... but neither are anywhere as good as Night Owl.
    That shit is the shit!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Alrighty boys and girls, time for the final(?) beer of the night... or "Drinks" time!

[​IMG]
    (Alc. 6.8%)

The Smells: Well, either my sniffer ain't working up to snuff or this beer has a very faint scent. I think, maybe, both the pumpkin and rum are present in the nose, with a bit of spice.

The Taste: It's... weird. I don't even... is that rum soaked biscuit? With a bit of seasonal spice thrown in for good measure? I... I find this one confusing. Not bad, just... odd.

Overall, I think it may taste mostly like a rum tinged pumpkin stem. Not in a bad way, but it would be more in place at a Halloween party than a fall festival.

(No pic on this one... for what are probably obvious reasons.)

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

My favorite pumpkin beer currently is Horseheads Pumpkin Ale. Southern Tier Imperial Pumking is my second favorite, though it doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be in years past.

I would like to try Cigar City's Good Gourd, but have not been able to find it around here.

Also Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale.

If anyone has access to those two beers, please send it my way.

7. r0llinstoned

Got a sixer of these tonight. My hyena is comin over in a bit so ive been goin to town on em

[​IMG]

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Get a chance try Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale. Very good. They also have Whole Hog Espresso Stout that is delicious..

1 person likes this.
  9. Pressed_Rat

Drinking another beer from my FAVORITE brewery, this is Kinetic Cloud by the husband and wife gypsy brewers known as Grimm out of New York City. This is a dry-hopped sour ale clocking in at 5% ABV. It's brewed with three hop varietals, all from New Zealand. Those are Wai-iti, Kohatu and Wakatu hops.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a small, creamy white head with lasting retention.

The aroma is of lemon zest, grass, wet hay, horse blanket, some tropical/citrus hops, and some lactic sourness.

There is lots of sourness to this beer upfront, with some of earthy, grassy/herbal hop flavors, some lemon and orange peel, as well as some oak.

The body is light, crisp, and incredibly refreshing. Carbonation is vibrant, with a nice dry, clean finish. Immensely drinkable. I had this 22 oz. bottle killed in under 5 minutes.

Overall this is a fucking incredible beer, and no doubt one of the best sours I have had to date.

Overall rating: A+

GRIMM IS THE FUCKING BOMB!!

[​IMG]

10. Pressed_Rat

Now moving on to Prairie Hop by Prairie Artisan Ales out of Tulsa, Oklahoma. This is a dry-hopped Belgian-style ale clocking in at 8% ABV. Basically it is a Belgian IPA brewed with saison yeast -- a Belgian sour IPA if you will.

Poured into my snifter with an extremely aggressive head. The beer needed to be poured slowly over the course over several minutes as to not overflow the glass. Poured a rich, translucent golden-orange color with a rocky three-finger head which lingers but slowly subsides and leaves a fine lacing on the glass.

Aroma is of juicy citrus (lemon, pineapple, mandarin orange), a slight resinous pine, banana, grass, clove, pepper, and a horse blanket funk from the wild Belgian yeast.

Flavor of this beer is equally sour and bitter upfront with pine, citrus and tropical fruits, along with some peppery and floral hops coupled with the Belgian yeast. Some biscuity, bready malts as well.

The body of this beer is medium with a lively carbonation. The finish, as with all of Prairie's farmhouse ales, is dry and rather clean.

Overall an amazing beer from one of my top American craft breweries.

Overall rating: A

[​IMG]

11. Pressed_Rat

Now drinking yet another beer from Prairie Artisan Ales, this is Prairie Ace, another one of their many dry-hopped farmhouse ales. This is perhaps one of the wildest, funkiest sour ales I have had to date.

The beer pours a cloudy, bright orange-gold color with about a quarter-inch of head and some sparse lacing.

The aroma of this beer is quite spicy, with lots of peppery and clove-like notes, coupled with very earthy hops (grassy/herbal), along with some zesty citrus (lemon, orange) and Belgian wild yeast esters and funk (horse blanket, grass, wet hay).

Tons of funk in the flavor of this beer as well, with lots of barnyard qualities. The funky qualities of this beer turn up much more in the flavor than the aroma. There is a prominent grassy, herbal bitterness, as well as some sour apple, lemongrass, white grape, wood and bready, cracker malts.

The mouthfeel of this beer is medium with a lively carbonation and a dry hop finish.

Overall rating: A-

[​IMG]

12. Pressed_Rat

Now drinking Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing out of California. This is an imperial Belgian IPA clocking in at 9.2% ABV.

Pours a golden amber color with a thin off-white head.

Aroma is of citrus hops -- primarily grapefruit, pineapple and mango -- clove, pepper, coriander, honey, floral notes, grass, herbs, biscuit malts and Belgian yeast.

Taste is of sweet, caramel malts and herbal/citrus (apricot, peach, orange) hops upfront, with notes of pepper, coriander and Belgian yeast. I would say this is a very malt-dominant IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall an excellent Belgian IPA.

[​IMG]

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Drank all of a Bacardi Gold 375 ML bottle, got some shoddy sleep and now just up.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

playing dragon age inquisition. one of the quests is to find all the thedas bottles of booze.

found one and they said "the label reads 'if you can read this, you haven't drank it'.

1 person likes this.
  15. r0llinstoned

Bud light in the special 4th of july edition stars and stripes can ;)

16. Pressed_Rat

Drinking Vertical Epic 02.02.02 By Stone, the 2016, 20th anniversary ENCORE release. This is a jacked up Belgian-style witbier clocking in at 7.5% ABV.

The beer pours a golden amber-orange. It is very clear, especially for a witbier, which usually have some amount of cloudiness.

There are tons of phenolic notes in the nose, as is typical of the style. Basically a classic witbier/imperial witbier aroma. Lots of banana and clove, some bubblegum, grass, coriander, Belgian yeast and pepper. Some sweet malts and earthy hops noted as well.

On the taste there is lots of herbal hop bitterness upfront, combining with some spiciness and some sweetness from the malts. The clove and coriander becomes more noticeable towards the middle, but the beer finishes with a fairly dry, peppery spiciness.

Mouthfeel here is light-medium with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall rating: B+/A-

[​IMG]

17. Pressed_Rat

Now drinking the newly-released Luponic Distortion No. 003 from Firestone Walker. This is the third release of this beer, with each release being slightly different from the other. This is my first time drinking this beer, so I cannot compare it to the previous releases. No. 002 is still available, so perhaps I will give it a try before it disappears from the shelves.

ABV is 5.9%.

This beer is extremely fresh, having been canned on 8-23-2016 and therefore not even a month old. This beer is meant to be consumed within 90 days of canning for optimal freshness.

Pours a light, bright translucent golden color with a two-finger head that subsides to leave a sparce lacing on the glass.

Aroma is of juicy, tropical citrus -- grapefruit, passionfruit, pineapple and peach -- as well as some resinous pine.

Flavor is of dank pine and tropical citrus (orange, pineapple, mango) upfront, with some bready malts toward the middle and finish.

Mouthfeel is light with a decent amount of carbonation and somewhat dry finish.

[​IMG]

18. Pressed_Rat

My final beer of the night is one of my all-time favorite IPAs, and one in which I have had many times in the past but never reviewed. This is Double Jack by Firestone Walker, a double/imperial IPA clocking in at 9.5% ABV.

It pours a clear golden orange color with a decent sized head for its high ABV, though it fades rather quickly.

Aroma is of dank, resinous pine combined with tropical fruits (grapefruit, orange, lemon), coupled with sweet caramel malts, as well as some floral and herbal hop notes. The hop aroma seems to be very simcoe and/or centennial-dominant.

There is a sweet, juicy tropical hop bitterness upfront, as well as some floral, somewhat herbal and dank/resinous hops and a sweet caramel, bready malt backbone.

Body is light-medium, with an oily, smooth mouthfeel, low carbonation and dry finish.

Overall rating: A

[​IMG]

19. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

I bought a sampler that had has that beer in it. It's not bad, but in no way anything above a solid B. I'm having their DBA now, and it's not very good. I've also had the Easy Jack IPA, and it's rather meh. I do like their Union Jack IPA though, kinda the season why I chose to try some of their other beer.

Edit: See you had the Double Jack. Haven't had it. Looks good.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

six pack of ST harvest,, wasnt impressed.. went back for a 12pack of Honey Brown.. shits trash but its not overly nasty...