Gender & Race In "academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Eleven, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Eleven

Eleven Member

To what degree do you think Hollywood is racist, sexist, and classist? To any degree at all? Heavily bigoted?

I assume everyone has heard news reports that this year's Oscar nominees are all white. Doing research, I see The Academy is mostly a white male affair.

I hear some Academy members insist nothing is wrong!

Thoughts, please.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

nope. this is the first mention i've heard of this year's oscars.

hollywood is super racist/sexist/classist. i don't know that i would say they're bigoted, but they generally work so hard to be PC that they definitely seem to make some major decisions based on those criteria rather than on anything merit based.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

In the 21st century, there have been 3 African American winners for best actor. This would put them at 20% of the winners, fairly representative of their population. (Although that's just one minority group, however usually the immeadiate group thought of concerning issues of racism)

For best leading actress there have been 2 African Americans winners in the 21st century, interestingly women have appeared to win every year in this category.

Quick look over the stats shows that Katherine Hepburn has won the most awards for acting and Meryl Streep has been nominated the most amount of times.

So nothing on the surface suggests rascism or sexism.

4. There should have been more black people in the Hobbit movies.

5. Eleven

Eleven Member

The Academy has 15 wings, and 5 are over 90% white male. Why should cinematography, special effects, and writing be over 90% white male?