How To Download A Song From Youtube

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Asmodean, Jan 17, 2015.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Again that's not necessarily true. Compression primarily removes size by deconstructing repetitions and gaps of no significant value.
    Instead of having a data string of "1000000000000000000000000000000000000000010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010"
    Compression code would say 1 and 40 0's and 22 10's

2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Phones, tablets and pretty much any "onboard" sound processors will be limited and have a degree of distortion and system noise. I have an old dedicated RCA mp3 player from 15 years ago that has about the best sound I've ever heard from any MP3 player. I can't speak of anything in particular but look for low noise dedicated professional quality equipment.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

that would be a lossless compression algorithm like gzip, or one of the lossless audio formats like FLAC. there isn't enough repition in a high quality audio file to yield a high compression rate (50% of the size is about the best you can achieve).

MP3 and other lossless formats use a psychoacoustic model to remove entropy from the audio signal in places where it won't be that noticeable(such as high order harmonics at frequencies the human ear cannot physically hear) then the stream can be compressed at a much higher rate with the compression algorithm. obviously compressing to a smaller bitrate will mean the codec is going to be more aggressive in removing information. high bitrates are nearly impossible to distinguish from the original and anyone saying they can easily tell the difference is likely perceiving a placebo effect. lower bitrates that might be common on YouTube can be noticeable because the codec has to remove too much information in order to reach the target bitrate which leaves the noticeable distortion. when the file is played the codec uses the reverse of the compression algorithm to extract the audio but there's no way to recover the removed information.

note that simply "removing frequencies" from an audio file itself doesn't make it any smaller since the sample rate is still the same. 3 min of a silence will use just as many bytes as three minutes of music in a PCM format like that of CDs.

I can't say I can hear any difference between a high quality MP3 or other lossy codec and a cd, you would need perfect hearing plus an expensive sound system in a room with perfect acoustics. not all mp3s are high quality though, and everytime you convert the file you lose a little bit especially between codecs. the music on YouTube is actually an audio stream within a video stream so it's probably AAC at a lower bitrate to keep more bandwidth for the video.

2 people like this.
  4. jessyha

jessyha Members

Youtube downloader would work fine for your PC but for my phone, i have an app thats called tubemate. It works pretty fast and fine, and is virus free :)

5. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

All music is digitally mastered, chaos theory predicts quality can only go downhill from the digital master.

Slimjet browser based on Chrome, but without the bloat has it's own ad-blocker and you can download builtin.
    Snaptube for your android devices.

6. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

I think not, most modern smartphones have quality sound processing but crap speakers.
    A pair of quality earphones give an exceptional sound experience in most cases.

Xiaomi Piston V3 at $25 is as good as any under $150.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

8. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Dear Asmo, I worked in one of the big London recording studios, around year 2000 we dumped all the analog equipment and went fully digital. Since then everything slightly profitable was digitally remastered.
    It's unlikely anything currently available for sale is an analog recording ........ but some stuff may still be marketed at the tinfoil hat brigade (my vinal recording, slate turntable, tube amplifier sounds, etc.)

They're all too busy winding their turntables backwards listening to the secret messages from Satan and hearing frequencies we never recorded in the first place, to reply on this thread though.