How To Download A Song From Youtube

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Asmodean, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hey Ace, no solid recommendation from you? I kind of expected you to post in this thread! :) Yes, I will watch out for the shit. That is one thing why the firefox browser thingie seems the best option in the end. Although I can't be sure until I tried it of course!

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

no, normally i can find the song in a torrent file somewhere so i just do that.

i would go with the browser plugin tho, i've been actually thinking of trying it. i don't know why i've never done it, i guess because i feel like the quality and bitrate of youtube songs isn't that good sometimes.

3. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I've used it a lot, and burned many CDs. It's awesome. I'm also on Windows.

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

try youtube-mp3.org. i downloaded the "Youtube MP3" plugin for firefox and it seems to just use that site to do the conversion so i don't think you actually need the plugin, it just adds a button to the video that you can click to get the mp3.

i just did it and it worked.

5. Asmodean

Same here. I didn't saw the point in going with the youtube song (which file looks like you had to convert seperately) when I could also find the mp3 in several qualities. But it seems like my main source for mp3s (soulseek peer to peer program) is a bit lacking in both the music I want and just working good like it used to. This is too bad because I used to check youtube for good songs and then always managed to find the mp3 on soulseek.

6. JasonHerbalExt

JasonHerbalExt Guest

Chrome extensions: search "youtube download"

7. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

On Chrome, I use the YouTube Mp3 extension.

8. Nbei

Nbei Members

I use both. But I always use Freemake for downloading videos.

9. Asmodean

Lots of options! :dizzy2: Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

10. TheWriter

TheWriter Banned

Youtube bandwidth is the worse ever. fuck youtube anyway. Good for searching, not good for quality. Anyone agree with me out there?

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

MP3 isn't very good quality either....

12. TheWriter

TheWriter Banned

Agreed. CD is still great. And Vinyl obviously

13. Asmodean

Obviously. A different topic though.

Yes. Great for making new discoveries, not for building a collection out of. But some songs are hard to find elsewhere so I want to download some so I am not depending on their bandwidth if I want to listen it.

1 person likes this.
  14. hildegardgruener

hildegardgruener Members

I have downloaded couple of videos with youtube download... N the quality was also fine.

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Audacity (free) should do it. Just play the video and record it with Audacity as it plays, then save as MP3.
    You do have to disable something in Audacity to prevent feedback (play through)...but I forget what.

16. Asmodean

Hm, so you run 2 different programs (the browser/youtube vid) and Audacity at the same time to record it? Couldn't that cause loss of sound quality?

About the disabling stuff. I see it is step 2 in your tutorial link: the option 'Turn software playthrough off'

Thanks for sharing!

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I have no frigging idea about sound degradation. Someone who works for NASA turned off the play through mode on my copy of Audacity cause I couldn't figure it out! (I think it's, like, rocket science or something.)

18. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

False. MP3 supports a wide range of bit-rates from above CD quality (where only your dog could tell the difference) to far below radio quality.

and the hardware that is decoding the MP3 is kinda, sort of, a LOT important too.

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

MP3 is a compression method based on removing frequencies from an audio file.... you don't make music sound better by removing bits and pieces.

20. Asmodean

I agree, the quality is impossible to get better by converting it to mp3 but that's not to say a good mp3 file can't be of good quality. There are different gradations to how much frequencies there will be removed in the compression.

Any recommendations?