Is Euro 1200 Enough For A 4-Week Backpacker Trip To Eastern Europe?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by rubberloverhk, Jan 5, 2015.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Please stay on topic and help the OP.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

hmm, I'm not that good as a tax collector. But I can be a bratwurst tester ;).

;) Chose your half wisely, Piaf.

Regards
    Gyro

3. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

oops, I forgot again that we are not in RT, sorry for that.

Regards
    Gyro

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Gyro, I was thinking more about something like a mayor :p

Fair enough!

OP. Look into euro rail train tickets. You can save money if you buy a 20 or 30 day ticket instead of all buying them loose. Travelling by bus is probably even cheaper (but no experience with it)

Also: youth hostels are always one of the cheapest (and for that price also the best) options to stay somewhere over the night.

€1200 could be enough.

5. Aranyani

Aranyani Members

so, yes, we have some churches, museums, the Ivan Vazov theatre (and not only), and actually now when I think about it there's quite a lot of places to see here. At the one end of Sofia (6-7km from the centre, where I live) we have the most amazing and wonderful mountain Vitosha. A hostel is about 15-25 euros a night. We use LEV, which is twice as much as Euros (1 euro~2lev, so 1200 euro is approximately 2400 lev). Corrupcy is common haha, but scam not as much. And yes, its safe in most places, the ones that aren't as safe are far from the centre and no one really goes there simply because it only has buildings to live in and nothing to do. We have amaaazing underground bars and clubs, like some don't even have names and its really fun. Most of the young people that live here and chill in the centre are really cool, and positive. Basically, Sofia is not such a bad place, but for tourists its especially fun and memorable.

1 person likes this.
  6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I am sure there are some nice monasteries and churches too in Sofia! If he's interested in that.

Edit: I am sorry, I now see you already mentioned churches.

7. Aranyani

Aranyani Members

We have a loooooot, but most of them aren't in Sofia. But in Bulgaria there are so much of historical buildings and things that would be interesting for a tourist

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I think Othodox churches are so beautiful! Icons too.

This cathedral is niiice

[​IMG]

9. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Even in RT you're supposed to stay on the topic of the thread, unless the title of the thread indicates otherwise.

You'd be surprised at how many ppl leave HipForums because they can't get a straight answer and just get random b.s.

I know many online forums are like that, but we want to be different, no?

Of course the stoner aspect of this site leads many to random thoughts/train of consciousness postings, so it's not that big a deal as long as it doesn't derail the thread.

1 person likes this.
  10. kenny1984

kenny1984 Members

Thanks for the information, it 's very useful and i have it saved for future reference. Are you bulgarian local??

11. Aranyani

Aranyani Members

yes, I am, i've lived most of my life in Sofia.

indeed, this one is right in the very middle of the centre and everything is around it :D

12. kenny1984

kenny1984 Members

very honestly speaking, is Sofia a safe city for tourists? Do you have a wechat :daisy: :daisy:

by the way, somebody said that in Bulgaria people agree with shaking head left and right and disagree with shaking head up and down. It's the only country doing the opposite thing. Is it still like that in today's Bulgaria??

13. S&L

S&L Member

There is a 100% chance that you get robbed!
    There is also a 100% chance to get roughed up!

If you like your health, safety, money and stuff, stay out of anything east of Germany/Austria!
    Esp. if you are Amerikan, even then Austria is a touchy place (mainly through US war mongering).

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

^nothing he/she said is true

2 people like this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I've always said it, but, Poland IMO is the nicest place in terms of folk.

And there's good and bad places, like everywhere. Do research before you come and do it, a lot of it is simply a sense like if it looks bad don't bother.

1 person likes this.
  16. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

I did Poland and Czech and the countries around that area. Slovakia etc. they weren't that bad. Didn't bother doing a trip on a budget though, fuck that. If you can help it don't budget there's nothing worse than getting home wondering "what if" or "I wish I did that".

I'll also admit my missus looks after the money side of things so I just go on and do what I do and spend.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think that's India.

You are taking things out of proportion to the point it sounds absurd.

18. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Actually there's more chance one would get mugged and beaten up in Germany (nice Minderheiten lol), than in let's say Slovenia.

19. Yellow_Forager

Yellow_Forager Member

I genuinely don't think it will be enough for you to have a good time but it all depends where you want to visit.
    I back packed around that area for 9 months on around the same amount of money BUT a lot of my accommodation needs were met by couch surfing. Also this was in 2003 so the prices will have gone up.
    The cheap flights and stag parties from UK and Ireland to many Eastern European cities have driven the prices of eating and in particular drinking way up. If you can stay away from the main tourist hot spots and not spend too much on alcohol then it could be just about doable.
    Look into working on farms for a few days, many will take you in have you work 6-12 then take you out to see the local area and feed you too. I did this in Romania and Czech Rep and it saved me money along with gave me an interesting view of how those counties work.