Covering Up A Scar Via Tattoo

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by Irminsul, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hey all,

Has anybody had any experience with having a scar covered by a tattoo?

I have a very neat long scar along my collarbone from when I had an injury earlier in the year. It's never really bothered me but it's like I've all of a sudden realised that it will not be going. I also believe it's the first things eye are drawn to when I take my shirt off. A lot of folks have told me things like "that's a nice scar, woah! Nice" so at this point in time I'm looking at it more like an eye-saw.

How do they feel when tattooed over? I obviously have some nerve damage in there, it feels tingly and numb when play with it etc. I've been told this will last my life but I'm wondering if it painful to tattoo over. I'm also interested if the scar itself caused complications to the structure of the tattoo. LIke, will those areas look different?

I've decided I will get something culturally significant of course and probably have woven vines or my own style of celtic knot work woven around it decorated in runes etc.

My biggest problem is I've never really thought, designed or drawn out anything for the shoulder/clavicle are. I mostly think about side and back pieces.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Chicks dig scars... or so I've heard.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

Id get some stupid "holy fucking shit you just cant take your eyes off this scar" arrows pointing.... tattoo..

Ive no ink on my body, its because my religion dont allow it j/k lol..

4. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

every cover up is a cover up
    lets let our dicks hang out
    a stunted mushroom is still a mushroom

2 people like this.
  5. thedope

kink

6. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

I've never had a tattoo put over a scar but I would make sure you go to an artist who is experienced in that. Scar tissue is different than regular skin tissue so I'm sure the technical part of giving the tattoo would be different. I would get a hold of a tattoo artist and ask them questions. If I see my artist anytime soon I'll talk to him about it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Thank you. That would be a good idea actually. I'll have to speak to some shops in the city then.

The only other thing I can imagine is having the same design replicated on the opposite shoulder to make whatever it is look symmetrical.

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

If it bothers you, they do make scar sheets that apparently work wonders, at least in some situations.

I'd rather have a scar than a tattoo - and I'd probably rather notice an awesome scar than a tattoo, however good a tattoo, when someone first takes off their shirt.

Tattoos covering things (even/especially other tatoos) just scream insecurity. Don't do it, IMO.

9. thedope

patch job

Not your opinion it is shouted at you. Clear perception does that
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well of course I'm insecure. I have boobs and a vagina :D

1 person likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I wanted this thread to stay a little serious. tbh.

:)

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Well I mean, one actually gets rid of the scar - it is changing your body, but it's repairing the damage, instead of hiding it under more damage.

Of course you could be the world's most secure person, and be covering things up, for purely logical reasons or whatever - but generally I don't think that's the case.

Even if it covers well, I tend to think it's better for you as a person, for your overall wellbeing, to learn to be at peace with it. To clarify, this shouldn't be confused with the approach of people who just generally think that suffering is better for you than not suffering, I think that's crap - I just generally think it's better if you can learn to change the suffering without hiding it, which leaves that little seed of dissatisfaction with yourself.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have tattoo anyway :D and I always planned on getting more.

14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Get a hardcore shirt, with like 18 different girls names tattooed over each other.

If anyone asks, you got it in prison in the rec yard, right after getting the scar in a cafeteria riot.

15. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

@Irminsul..I would say==just go for it...discuss it with a good tattoo artist,pick up a good design...and just do it..
    I am tattooed on both arms from top to bottom...i had to cover ups done...one cannot see what was originally under it..
    the shoulder top part can be bit painful though..just bite your teeth,Jocelyn..you're a big girl...and Bavarian op top of that(ahah) :dizzy2:

16. Psychedelicrevolution

Psychedelicrevolution Guest

its also common practice to modify.. instead of covering up.
    its called scarification and some scars can be turned into pretty symbols easily. it will still be a scar but it will look... artistic :)