Vodka

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't drink beer anymore because of the carbs, but in the rare instance I do drink alcohol, I have been enjoying top-shelf vodka. When most people hear "top-shelf vodka" they often think of Grey Goose or Ketel One. Those are both decent vodkas, but nowhere near the best. They simply have some of the biggest advertising campaigns to promote their product.

Tonight I am drinking Chopin, which is a Polish vodka. Very smooth, and has a creamy mouthfeel. It's distilled from potatoes.

In the past I have been a big fan of Tito's handmade vodka, which is actually made here in the US, in Austin, Texas. It's distilled from corn.

Another favorite of mine is Reyka, which is an organic vodka from Iceland, made from glacial waters. It's distilled from wheat and barley.

Does anyone else like to drink vodka straight up? Do you have any favorite brands?

In my opinion Russia and Poland are the best producers of vodka.

1 person likes this.
  2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

It's my hard liquor of choice, but don't drink it too often.

I do have a bottle of Tito's in my freezer. The price is nice compared to some other top shelf vodkas, and you don't compromise too much of that smooth taste you talk about.

I remember the first time I had Belvedere---after drinking a lot of cheap shit in college. I was shocked at how much it didn't suck.

Do you only drink it straight up? I bet if you made your own bloody mary mix, it could be healthy alternative. I like a vodka soda with lime.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Polish wodka is the best wodka.

If you get a chance you should try a Polish Grass Wodka. It has a blade of green grass in the bottle, it is a greeny tinge appearance. It is wonderful with a nice apple juice.
    The old Polish tale is that the grass is hand picked from a field in Poland which is ripe with the mighty Bison still. The wodka gets it's flavor from this blade of grass which grows wonderfully in the compost of the beasts. :D

I first tasted it in Krakow while on holiday about 6 years ago. I had it with apple juice at a comfy little cafe. I got very drunk that afternoon.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

I do like it straight up. I also like it with cranberry juice. Thanks for the new types to try!

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

ugh, no. if it weren't for peer pressure, i would probably not drink any hard liquor, ever.

6. Pressed_Rat

I really don't drink it to get "fucked up."

1 person likes this.
  7. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

The allusion to bison poo makes it sound so appealing....lol

8. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

I prefer red wine or hard cider on the rare occasions I drink these days. What are the qualities of a high end vodka anyway? Isn't it supposed to taste pure (not really have a flavor) to be considered high end? Not trying to argue just never understood why people would spend so much on an essentially neutral tasting distilled liquor that ideally contains no remnants of what it was originally distilled from?

9. Pressed_Rat

Good vodka lacks the harshness and burn of cheaper vodkas. Cheap vodka is almost akin to drinking rubbing alcohol.

People say quality vodka isn't supposed to taste. That's simply because they're drinking it to get fucked up, or are mixing it with something else and thus don't want something that tastes too strong. The quality of a good vodka is found in the subtleties of its flavors. A good vodka usually will have a slightly creamy mouthfeel and slight sweetness, but should never have an overpowering taste or a lingering aftertaste that many of the cheaper vodkas do.

Perhaps more than anything, you can tell a good vodka from a bad one based on how you feel the next morning. When I drink a quality vodka,I can drink a fairly large quantity and not feel hungover in the morning, granted I consumed enough water.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

This is my favorite too I got the taste for it while working in Kawary Poland
    used to be able to get it real cheap but now I have to pay the UK price
    As irm says its perfect with a little apple juice ;)

11. Pressed_Rat

I will have to give that a try if I can find it.

12. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

isn't vodka traditionally made with potatoes? corn would be whiskey and wheat and barley are beer.....but I loath alcohol so I don't know for sure.

LOL,
    Ya know PR for someone with so many axes to grind against so many conspirators and corporate shills, you sure the fuck are a pretentious snob when it comes to food and drink.

something just doesn't add up.....

could PR be a disgruntled trust fund baby?

JK :crowngrin:

14. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I've never got on with vodka. Something I don't like about the taste. Give me a good scotch or burbon anyday.

Or for something special, armagnac.

1 person likes this.
  15. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

for me the taste of vodka is god awful. when I was camping with my sister and nieces Jackie was holding Izzy and letting her play with her drink and she spilt it all over my lap I was pissed I don't even drink that shit and I am cover in it lol my sister

16. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

If I feel a need to drink just to get fucked up, I'm not reaching for the good stuff. If I do that, the hangover will only be that much worse with me realizing I squandered a bottle of good hooch to be a common drunk. However, my thing is scotch. Balvenie Doublewood!

For a cheap drunk, I'll drop down to Dewar's or Johnny Walker, but never as far as Inverhouse (the turpentine of scotch).

17. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

My dad used to make his own potato vodka and then use that as the base for making his own "Kahlua". It is actually pretty damn good.
    Never really got into vodka much when I did drink though.
    I will say, even though I don't drink much at all, not being able to have wheat/gluten has drastically limited the drinks I can consume, with vodka being one of the ones I still can, but tequila is my fave.

I do miss a good beer now and then though.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I haven't had vodka since high school because I had a really bad experience with it. However, I can't really handle alcohol anymore and I sense it may be due to an allergy. When I drink I get really congested like I have a raging sinus infection.

so I've considered trying a top shelf vodka since vodka is supposed to be the purest alcohol.

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

LOL, some friends and I had a "summer of 151" drinking Bacardi a LOT when I was young.
    I still can't smell rum without getting nauseous.

1 person likes this.
  20. Pressed_Rat

Vodka can be made with any number of things, but usually it's grain, potatoes or fruit. Ciroc, for instance, is made with grapes.