Cheap And Easy Diy Christmas Decorations

Discussion in 'Holiday Crafts' started by Bassline514, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Hey guys!

I wanna make the house look festive for the holidays, but I realize I have no inspiration really. To make things worse, I have to do it on a super tight budget. We already have a christmas tree with all the required ornaments plus the little porcelaine houses to put underneath it, but that's pretty much all we got. I really dream of a home well decorated, that looks warm and inviting, so any help, idea, tip, inspiration would be much appreciated. I'm not used to do handicraft but I'm good at drawing, painting, sewing and I know how to use a glue gun so I can do many things, I just need to be told how and I'll be good to go.

Please share your christmas decoration ideas! Thanks!

Bass

1 person likes this.
  2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to come back to this thread, Bass. I suggest looking for DIY Christmas Decorations on Pinterest.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

do you have an holly trees around? My grandma used to gather bunches of holly and tie it together with a red ribbon and place it around the house in various spots - the mantel, tied around the banister of her stairs, or just put in vases. It always looked beautiful and of course cost nothing

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Cutting the top off the neighbor's pine tree is out, I guess.

5. Aerianne

Pine Cones, gilded or not, make beautiful decorations.

mysticblu21 and Bassline514 like this.
  6. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

Good idea with the pine cones! I could paint a few in gold and silver, and put them in a glass bowl for a festive and elegant table centrepiece.

I surfed a bit and found out there's so many cute things we can do with mason jars, glasses, and glass containers and vases. They can be used to make candleholders and all kinds of decorations, using paint, glitters, fake snow, candies, christmas ornaments, fruits, spices, fabric, etc. I guess the only limit to what I can do with those would be my creativity! I guess a few mason jars turned into decorative candle holders could be sweet and bring some warmth to my home. Otherwise I guess make and put a festive wreath on the door and throwing a string of lights plus some home-made candy cane garland this and there would make it?

7. Aerianne

That sounds about perfect, Bass.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Depends on what says Yuletide to you.
    Some people think that's colored lights and some random greenery.
    Others have to blond the neighborhood with enough lights for a small nation.

Close your eye. Think of a perfect holiday scene...now what makes it perfect?

9. Aerianne

I just made some icecicles from place 7up bottles so mine are green! This is an awesome diy! Just cut strips from the bottles and heat them over a candle flame while twisting.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's also a ton of simple origami decorations to make too. You get some spiffy sheets of paper all colorful and stuff, it'd look great. =)

1 person likes this.