Trip To Dharma Trading Company

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by drumminmama, Nov 25, 2014.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I've recently been shaking off the dust after the dissolution of partnership with the love of my life and artistic coconspiritor. In 2009, I'm slow.

One way I'm doing that is to start dyeing again, and going further into it than I did under his shop.

So, finding myself in the Bay Area, I headed to San Rafael for silk scarves.

So, after many,many years of ordering from Dharma Trading, I decided to drive over and see what the shop looks like.
    Imagine my surprise to walk into a minefield of color, all on yarn.

Where are the whites? I wondered. I wandered back and taking a step down, it was the Wizard of Oz in reverse. The Technicolor front room (2/3 of the space) abruptly changed to back and white- a small room of whites and supplies. Off white, light grey and dust bunny. Some spots of color on labels and a random project idea hanging in a corner.

In seconds, I was transported back to the dye shop and opening the latest box of whites. I could feel Paul all around me. This was, after all a temple to us and the art we produced.
    I expected to see him walk up, excited with a new design that would work with the technique.
    So much so that when my current partner walked up on me, saying hey sweetie, I thoroughly expected it to be Paul.
    I hope the smile hid my eyes in crinkles, because I'm sure shock registered.
    ( he was in Marin on his work, saw our car and popped in.)

But back to Dharma.... They had soda ash at far less that I can get it here. $1 a pound, basically. So I got two five pound bags. Next time I'll order for store pick up and get larger. I know to do that with the dye. They charge state tax and shipping, so picking it up occasionally is economical, a song as I'm combining trips.
    Since there's a fabulous South Indian restaurant a block away, I say that counts.

Good selection of the scarves, and I was able to get a feel for the mm weight.
    Clothing looked like a goodwill rack. No organization, by size or style.
    Had I been looking for a play dress, the dress we always used, I'd have needed an hour. For eight linear feet of rack.
    Bags and other blanks were plentiful.
    The woman helping was efficient, but I can't say I felt welcomed. She seemed distracted and maybe annoyed that she had to watch for shoplifting (I get the worst anti hippie treatment in hippie strongholds. This may speak to how the kids behave) and couldn't fondle yarn, or whatever.

Despite the bite I show here, I'm quiet and polite when shopping. I try to make requests clean and specific, or explain where things can flex, and then only if asked at all.

I'll go back for silks. I'll order and pick up in store because the vadas and dosas call my name shamelessly.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

So waddaya makin' and are you gonna sell anything on our new auction site? ;)

Haven't been to San Rafael since the 70s when I slept in my VW camper van overnight there.

Been meaning to go back. I'm sure it's changed.

Marin is REALLY upmarket these days, so no wonder they look askance at today's hippies.

Funny thing is, lots of old hippies still there, but now they're UPmarket!

Just checked out Dharma Trading's website. How 1990s! ;)

They need some help wit dat...

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

All good things in all good time....but send me a link. I'm not thrilled with etsy or art fire policies.