Random Facts About You...xlviii

Discussion in 'Games and Contests' started by ROLLINGALONG, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Here's a random fact about me....actually maybe just a random statement that I heard tonight. Probably not even appropriate for this thread but...here's the short version. My dad was a very kind person who always tried to help people. He was loved by many. I was hanging out with some people tonight who knew him since I was a child. They also know my son and as we were talking about him (my son) I said "I think my dad would be very proud of the person that he has become and it wasn't because I made him that way. I gave him the choice to be the person that he is and he chose to be that person." One of my fathers life-long friends said "I think your father would also be proud of the man that you've become and I think I've been able to know three generations of almost the same person".

I was a little taken aback. I don't know how to respond to statements like that. I've learned to just say thank you but it still kind of leaves me a little uncomfortable because my father was almost a hero to some people who needed to feel loved and I don't feel like I fill those shoes. I try to be fair and fight the good fight but I am not my father by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway...I don't know....maybe it's dumb to post it here but I guess it kind of made me feel good to hear that. Maybe my fathers spirit is still alive...whether it's in me or my son. I don't feel like I do anything to deserve that opinion but I also know that he felt the same way.

3 people like this.
  2. Dancing in the Mists

Dancing in the Mists Member

I could swear I posted in this thread last night, but it would seem that I was too out of my mind to at the time. Ah well. Now I'm here. Random fact: At some point in my life, I want to be loved and cared for like a cat. They're evil little buggers, but people treat them like royalty!

4 people like this.
  3. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

So far this weekend I put my bike away, changed the oil in my lawn mower and put that away too, plastered some, did a bit of flooring, solidified a landing which I am about to tile, starter refurbishing a guardrail, cleaned out a shed... busy busy!

I gotta say though, when I put fuel stabiliser in my motorcycle and let the carb run out, when it finally dies, that's when the reality that winter is coming hits home the most.

that sucks man. Hope there wasn't too many!

I agree that they require alot of respect. That's a really good track record Wiz! I remember one time at the cottage looking at my dad standing on a stump in the river cutting the end of a tree with a chainsaw. It blew my mind. He's also been using one for a long time and still has all his limbs., but still... it seemed crazy to me.

2 people like this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

RF: Both antique tractors started today... The Gilson/Bready started on the second pull. I had just fixed the steering (sort of) so went for a short romp in the woods. Thing seems to want to go just about anywhere.

John Deere started on the second crank too.... Seat's still broken so I didn't go far.

5. Wizardofodd

Hmm....can you get one of those tractors close enough to the trees to pull them out with a chain? That could work. Or even better....if you could use a number of long chains together so the tractor is a good distance from where the trees will land.

6. Tyrsonswood

They don't have that much traction... The Deere is the more likely to do the job but I don't have wheel weights and it has turf tires. I've tried with a few other trees and it just spins. I also don't have any chain... 20 foot tow strap, but nothing longer except some crappy rope (New rope, but not up to the job)

7. Wizardofodd

Ah...that sucks. I live in Iowa. If the tractor isn't big enough....we'll just use a bigger one. :)

8. Tyrsonswood

Big tractors are available here too... Have you priced one recently?

I make it through each month with maybe $10 left in the bank.... If I'm lucky.

9. Wizardofodd

Well...I didn't mean we would go buy one. I know a lot of people around here so it's not a problem to borrow one if I need to. Maybe you could find someone who has a tractor and burns wood and you could have them help for a share of the wood? Just an idea. If I was there, I would come over and help you for free and have a beer with ya afterward. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

I do need help with this stuff... Nobody willing around here. Appreciate the thought though.

Was just pricing wheel weights... I paid less for whole the John Deere. Go figure.

11. Wizardofodd

Maybe you can make a form out of wood and pour concrete weights. They wouldn't be as heavy but they would be a little more weight. But then you would still need chains. It sucks that people where you are aren't very helpful to each other. It's a lot different here. We help each other all the time....even if we don't know each other....we just stop to help because someone needs the help.

A quick story....we got stuck in snow in a pasture one day with a very large utility truck. We had quite a problem since in was a decent hill we needed to climb to get out. The neighbor had a tractor but it needed some work and she didn't know how to fix it. The next neighbor was home so he fixed the tractor and got us out. He spent about 4-5 hours of his time helping us. I tried to pay him for his effort but he refused. He said if we ever saw him stuck...to stop and help him. I promised I would. The next week we were at another place and a truck hit some ice and went in the ditch down the road on the highway. It was on it's side and the driver was dazed and pretty concerned. We had a huge truck and chains, etc. We got him back on four wheels and on his way. He offered us money and we told him the same thing....basically...just stop and help someone if you see they need it. Even if your car is parked on the side of the road....chances are that someone will stop and ask if you're ok. That's just how it is around here.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tyrsonswood

There's a method of making concrete weights in the rim using plastic garbage bags.... Kinda crude.

They used to make plastic shells that you filled with concrete yourself but I can't seem to find them anymore... Used a set of those out in CA on my Craftsman garden tractor.

1 person likes this.
  13. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

buddy here has the biggest tractor i ever saw.....i was thinking of asking him to lift me up so i could top my big rotten birch or whatever it is

did i see some new blood in this thread?????.....some shit about cats lol....talk about suck up to the old[odd] guys......we all like the cats.......dogs too

14. Wizardofodd

I was thinking you may have to put some bent rod inside of the concrete to reinforce the part that the weight would hang from. Otherwise, you would have all that weight hanging from a fairly weak spot and it may crack and break. Plus...you could throw down some debris like small branches, etc. to give the tires some grab. It's worth a try.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

that a boy Luther..

16. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

GLEN Is Not Impressed By Your Post...[​IMG]

Sneers Glen.

17. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

I don't like cats.
    I'm a dog guy

1 person likes this.
  18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

uh oh...Time for me to chime in...cats are smart and aloof. They are wonderful creatures that don't need to be looked after, in that they can be left alone for several days with food and water. They love people, but they choose who to love. :) (Like smart people do.)

The same cannot be said for dogs...in that several days alone will NOT do for a dog. Most are not aloof but very loving and wanting/needing attention...even showing love and loyalty to sobs that abuse them.

And THAT being said, I love dogs.

However, never forget that cat-hatin' can be a real frowned up thing. :devil: just sayin'

Can ya tell I love my cats?

I did have a rf to contribute, but this cat and dog talk made me forget...stoner moment? lol

19. Dancing in the Mists

Dancing in the Mists Member

Or just a woman that is overworked and just needs a break. It's cold here, and cuddling up by a fire sounds good. Just stop by and pet me on the head on occasion, and I'll either respond sweetly or gouge you with my claws. You know, cat stuff.

I'm actually more of a dog person since I'm horribly allergic to cats. I have more of the personality of a cat though.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

i only woke up to watch The Green Hornet and Land of the Lost. smokes doobie go backs to sleepy to the land of the stoned..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.