Random Facts About You...xlviii

Discussion in 'Games and Contests' started by ROLLINGALONG, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Depending on how it's balanced....you can start cutting from either side and try to get the other side to drop down. If the tree moved as much as you say, it sounds like it's fairly hung up. You may even be able to alternate sides as you cut and keep it balanced. Just remember that one side may drop and spring in a certain direction while the other side can do the same or possibly drop and lay down. But even if you keep everything under control...don't forget what's above you.

I type this kind of stuff and it seems so obvious but so many people get seriously fucked up trying to do this stuff....really. I'd hate to see that happen to anyone reading this.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i have a saw ive never used

i tried it once but quickly realized the chain was on backwards...no idea how i managed to do that (had it off to soak in oil and service the brake)

i never bothered to put it back the right way yet

3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

well you are busy and dont have the 7 seconds required

also....mine too raised up at the cut end.....way way up.....so now i was working off a shitty ladder ....i finally just cut the second tree

sunny morning thus far.....i have beans soaking for the hens

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There's the thing.... It's balanced in the Redbud tree way above my head. In general I don't like using ladders, but especially for this because the tree can kickout and remove the ladder from under your feet. Not interested in falling off a ladder with a chainsaw in my hands.

There is one I was working on last month that I had to fell to the right as you approach it and it hung up in an Oak... Under cut/Under cut/Under cut 4 times and it was now standing straight up again about 15-20 feet from it's stump. I waited... About 1/2 hour later it fell to the left and hung up in a series of small maples. It's still there.

I've cut down quite a few trees, but these dead Ash trees are all right in the middle of desirable live trees, and that's where it gets weird.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the guy who's 70 is 4 years older then i am

the only reason i'm not completely nocturnal is because of when stores are open and buses run.

1 person likes this.
  6. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Got a winch? I have a skyscraper window washing rope that they use for rigging and a winch. the combination works well for puling trees down from a tangled canopy.

7. Wizardofodd

I've had them get hung up like that a lot of times. Then I have to climb the other tree to cut it out of there. I can usually tell how likely that is before I even start cutting the first tree and sometimes I think it's pretty likely and still do it anyway. In that case, I may decide to cut through as much of the hinge wood as possible (but not all of it) with my back cut to increase the speed of the tree as it falls. That makes it more likely for the branches to break off on the way down instead of keeping the whole tree up there.

But yeah...ladders. We never, ever use them. I've met a good number of people who have been seriously injured using them for tree work. It's not that they are inherently bad but you need to tie the ladder to the tree in a safe place and then tie yourself to the ladder.

8. Wizardofodd

That's a pretty good idea in a lot of cases but if the trees are dead...you may have a higher risk of uprooting the tree that is still standing and having it come at you.

A number of years ago we got to a place we used drop logs off at. The owner tried to drop a tree and it went to wrong way and hung up in another tree. We offered to take care of it but he already had his plan and had a cable set in the tree. He was going to pull it over with his tractor. We had a newer guy with us and told him to come over and stand by us. He was standing by the tractor and looked at me like he wondered why I told him to do that. I said "Just come over here". He did and about 20 seconds later the cable snapped and about 75 feet of cable shot back at and under the tractor. Anyone standing nearby would have been injured for sure.

So there's that. You should know the load rating for the rope or cable and then consider the tensile strength to be 1/10th of the load rating. A 20,000 lb rope will hold more than 2000 lbs but that should be your safe operating limit.

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

rf- tying a knot in a rope reduces its load-safe limit by half....to retain original margins one doubles the line

friday night....did 4 ferry trips today.....2 i canhandle....4 justknocks the bajeebersoutta me

10. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

Damn you guys are badass with all the lumberjack talk. I can do pretty much anything on a house, but I literally have no experience with cutting down trees. Is it bad to say that using a chainsaw looks like a hell of alot of fun?

Hahahaha hi puggy!!!!!

11. Tyrsonswood

Yes... That's a bad thing to say.

Even though it is, or can be, a hell of a lot of fun. Chainsaws demand a hell of a lot of respect.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBsJ673tRI

13. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

More precisely I use a come along. Obviously all prevailing conditions should be considered.

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

not so badass....gotta do what ya gotta do is all........i just dropped allof todays eggs....they all broke on the ground outside the coop.....

15. Tyrsonswood

Bummer man

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

coincidence Hot Lips just told Frank to "suck an egg".

17. Wizardofodd

I think it's probably fun for some people but like anything...when you do it for a living it becomes work. I think a chainsaw is the most dangerous "power tool" you can run. There are safety features built in but nothing to stop stupidity. I run chainsaws as comfortably as most people use pencils but I never use them in a way that might injure me. I do sometimes run them in ways that most people shouldn't but you really need to know what you're doing to do some of that stuff. Never have had an insurance claim or "lost time" injury on any of my crews. That's a 21-22 year track record. :)

18. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

hot lips hoolihan[swit].....she was in the original move yes?

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

i dont think she was in the movie movie. maybe her character was. havent seen it in ages..

20. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

played by sally kellerman inthe movie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.