Any Metalsmiths Out There?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Dancing in the Mists, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Dancing in the Mists

Dancing in the Mists Member

Are there any fellow creators of jewelry or metal sculptures floating around?
    I often feel like I am alone in my trade!
    Some of my Work​
    [​IMG]
    Sterling Silver and Fluorite Pendant and Sterling Silver Ring with Brass and Copper Accents​
    [​IMG]
    Sterling Silver Ring with Copper Accents and Stones (Sapphire, Alexandria Topaz, and Opal)​
    [​IMG]
    Stainless Steel Plugs with Resin Encased Fragments of Electronics ​
    [​IMG]
    Brass and Glass Pendant with Moss Agate and Coffee​

5 people like this.
  2. Dancing in the Mists

Oh, and here is an updated photo of the tree after I patinated it:​
    [​IMG]

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

that's really fuckin cool, especially the one with peices of PCB

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Well nothing like that, but I'd like to think I know my way around an anvil.

5. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

a ring featuring a small microprocessor encased in resin would be cool .. the pins protruding from the chip package would resemble a spider

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

The cool looking ones are all way too big.

Nothing says bling like that obviously thick and pure gold on an i486DX

DX being, of course, the gangster version of the 486.

Found one in a dumpster recently (along with all sorts of other fun stuff).

7. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Nice work! Do you do your own brass castings? I know a little about art metal-working and have done some work with copper and brass, never tried any casting though. I've recently been studying chasing and repousse techniques.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Very nice.

Actually I'm looking for a good silver solder flux. Borax isn't working on copper and brass for some reason.

I toyed with copper, brass, pewter and silver about 40 years ago. Etching, forming, plannishing, etc. Casting aluminum. Enameling. I'm trying to get back into it but haven't had the time.

Also I'd like to get into casting brass and started constructing a furnace...but that got sidelined.

9. Dancing in the Mists

Yes I do! Lost wax casting is so much fun, but it's a tad more difficult since it requires an assistant.

I'm not actually sure of the type of flux I use! I get it in bulk and then add it to tiny jars. I can have a look if you'd like. Lately, I've been using silver paste syringes from Rio Grande. I love the precision placement.

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

COOL! That is great that you can shape metal...I am not a metalist, but I do love working with beads....lampwork beads, crystal, glass and precious stones.....
    I love making jewelry out of them, and I always cheer myself up by working with them here....Here are a few bracelets I made when I first started making jewelry.....so they are from my beginner days....I make more sopishisticated things now usually with precious stones like garnets, amethysts, jade, moon stone, chalcedony, etc........and this is when I had a scanner and sold stuff on ebay, as these.....but my scanner broke and I never bought another....so i stopped selling...My photos of jewelry never do the things justice....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. Dancing in the Mists

I never thought to use my scanner for photos. I feel like an idiot right now! I still do a lot of beadwork. Stones are actually what got me into jewelry and metalsmithing. I'm a huge rock nerd! I have like eight totes, and I love being able to create settings for undrilled stones.

12. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

At one point I was so into lampwork beads.....the intricate detail...such little works of glass art, that i contemplated getting the equipment to make my own glass here, but then I read of all of the hazards and decided not to pursue it.......but what people can do in such tiny measure is so wonderful.....:)

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've done a lot of metalwork, but not like this.

14. Gongshaman

Here's some Crotales I made. (please excuse my amateurish macro pics, I'm still learning how to use my new camera) The all copper crotale is made from pure copper anode plate, and the bi-metal crotale is anode plate and b-20 brass from a vintage Zildjian cymbal. Trapped inside each is a small pebble.
    The brass and copper bell has a nice pure "jingle bell" sound.
    The all copper bell has a mellower 'goat bell' sound. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Dancing in the Mists

Those are absolutely darling!

16. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I play around with copper. welding it is fun and pounding it into shape is all sorts of fun.
    I am collecting old files to turn into silversmithing tools but who knows when I'll get around to that.

here's a canoe I made a few weeks ago it's 10 or 11 inches long and down in a traditional native american style.
    [​IMG]

some roses
    [​IMG]

and a small bowl
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. Gongshaman

Thank you! :crowngrin:

I really like these...nice work Jo, thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Dancing in the Mists

Those are lovely, Jo! I want to do more sculptural things with time, but for now, I'm working on perfecting what I currently do. Silver work is delightful, but it's much easier to melt than copper or brass!

19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes Dancing, I would be interested in the flux you are using. I think I've seen those syringes on the net, but I'm looking for a paste probably. I know there's a borax type but I've tried household borax and can't get the solder to flow. Although I'm not quite sure of what silver solder I'm using as it's some old strip stuff. I haven't tried with my jeweler's silver solder. I have some hard, medium, and easy from years ago and haven't tried that yet.

I'm tying to repair a brass/copper model steam engine boiler that I made and the firebox gets too hot for regular solder, it just melts.

I've been collecting tools for a while now and not using them, my wife is getting irritated, so I have to start making something!
    Do you have a centrifugal caster?

Jo those flowers are very nice. Are you using silver solder?

20. Dancing in the Mists

I use the Neycraft Spincaster. I'm waiting for a response from my supplier on the exact flux that I use, so I'll get back to you on that! Something like THIS should work though. You just have to look for something that works with the appropriate temperature and doesn't specifically say no flow. Also, THESE are the syringes of silver paste solder (it's a mixture of flux and solder) that I use. Like I said, I love the precision application. As you can see from my original post with photos, objects like the ring require working with very small pieces, and the syringes allow me to get the delicate details exactly where I need them to be.