Atheists Left Speechless On A Question On Evolution

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Dude111, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ckfrn5-86xU

Decent watch.....Atheists are quite open minded,etc....... You can talk to them about ANYTHING and they wont poke fun,judge you,etc.......... Probably cause they are not limiting themselves to one way of thinking??

2. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I couldn't even watch more than about 6 minutes of that nonsense. It's embarrassing that any one of those people weren't able to shut that guy down in about 30 seconds.

Evolution is very easily observable today in plenty of ways. But it seems like many people don't really understand evolution to begin with. It has almost nothing to do with humans coming from monkeys. The basic idea is that species evolve (not individuals) over generations in response to their environment. As the environment changes, the species either adapt or go extinct. So my first answer to his question of observable proof would have been "Do you see any fucking dinosaurs?"

Second...natural selection is the means and mode of evolution. Survival of the fittest. Again, adapt or die. We can easily prove this with bacteria in a lab because each generation of the bacteria only live a short life span. But since a guy in the video mentioned fish...let's use fish as an example. If a stream had fish that usually reproduced aggressively at between 47 and 51 degree water temp and the average temp of the stream rose to 50 to 53 degrees...the segment of the population unable to breed at the slightly higher temp would not breed. The segment that could reproduce would breed. Those genes would spread in the population and eventually we would see more and more of the strongest breeders in those higher temps until the entire population could exist in those conditions. That is evolution.

It's simply silly to say that isn't true. I can think of tons of examples. Why are the polar bears dying? Simple. They aren't adapting to their changing environment.

7 people like this.
  3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

@wizrdofodd:
    lack of understanding has a lot to do with it. the creationists that believe the earth to be no more than 6000 years old don't understand physics, thus make the claims that won't hold up to scrutiny since you can't even balance the equations, by actually working out the mathematics of physics the claims they make are shown to be false, or VERY MUCH inconsistent with everything we observe. I can't go into this in detail right now on the specific parts of physics right now because they are so numerous, I may some other time, but you would have to throw out nearly everything in physics for creationists so called "theories" on the age of the earth to work, and really, almost any way you try to twist physics to force it to work still causes it to fail even more epicly! real theories have mountains of evidence obtained in as many independant ways as possible to validate them, otherwise it's time for a new theory that works better! also just because a theory is shown to be inaccurate in some edge case does not invalidate everything else that we know to be true, which is accurately predicted.

if these people truly understood the science they regard as false, they would have a hard time believing themselves! in the end you would have to claim that mathematics doesn't really work, and throw out reason, and logic for cave-man esque magical thinking. and in any person with an IQ greater than a single digit number this must create some kind of cognitive dissonance, since it would "prove" almost all modern technology as impossible i.e. magic ... since all of these different things in order to function as they do depend on these same theories i. mathematics and physics to be sound.

2 people like this.
  4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i made it to 3:15

what an idiot

5. Wizardofodd

Good point.

6. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have seen some people who still look neanderthalish and apish with mannerisms of some monkeys still.....
    Desmond Morris calls us the naked ape.....just as some of those finches became different finches, so did we, and mankind is still evolving....Why is the stigma so horrible that once upon a time we were the apes roaming the forests?

1 person likes this.
  7. Moonglow181

and apes can be very warlike, too, with other apes.....something we must have inherited....
    chimps can care about their small family band of chimps and give not one iota for the neighboring chimp tribes....sound familiar?
    Humans certainly are not as altruistic as many would like to think.

8. Moonglow181

and just looking at the threadfs usually on the first page here for instance.....sex animal shit.....do some people ever evolve?

9. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

that's not actually the correct use of the word evolve. every single species on the planet has evolved and continues to evolve until they eventually go extinct.

but everything else you posted about, i agree with.

we did actually evolve from an ape-like common ancestor. chimpanzees evolved from the same common ancestor, and they are our closest living relatives, genetically.

10. Moonglow181

Yes, the chimps....and see what they can do to humans......scary thought, but look what we do, too.....scarier, in some ways......:(

I want to be a dolphin....lol

11. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Wow, what a horrifically ignorant duchbag video!

Most people put on the spot unprepared like that aren't going to be able to answer properly. And because this colossal ass is making this masterpiece of ignorance, he could have edited out any number of decent viable explanations.

What a turd!
    Anyone promoting this clueless crap should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

1 person likes this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ahh, but dinosaurs are everywhere

Endosymbiotic theory explains the jump from simple cells to complex cells on earth. Basically mitochondrion evolved from proteobacteria, and chloroplast from cyanobacteria.....via a squazillion-nonillion-doubledodecazillion (i.e a number too high to even imagine) of combinations of single simple cells getting it on with each other.

Cyanobacteria was the first to achieve photosynthesis, and it took them roughly 1 & 1/2 billion years to make enough oxygen to saturate what was being absorbed by the surface and start creating the oxygen in the atmosphere.

Everything had a common ancestor at one stage, and a lot of them are still around.

The idea that dinosaurs died off then a little while later mammals appeared has never been true. The idea that all dinosaurs died off has never been true.

Every living thing more complex than bacteria wouldnt be alive if it werent for a billion plus years of bacteria farts

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

PS: Could also make the argument that neither humans or dinosaurs ever existed, as both made up mostly of bacteria

A 20 foot tall copy of the eiffel tower made out of lego is still just lego

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

He talks about "Kinds" which is not a scientific term, it is a creationist term which is very ambiguous. It comes from the Bible,
    So he statically defines all organisms as being specific unchangeable "Kinds" that miraculously appeared without defining what those different "Kinds" are or addressing the mechanisms for their appearance, other than God.

Then he BELIEVES that the theory of evolution means that different "Kinds" of animals must miraculously, instantaneously, transform into another "Kind" of animal on a macro scale...or the theory of evolution is wrong!

He defines the terms and conditions based on his BELIEFS and then dismisses any evidence which does not conform to that BELIEF.

He has no understanding whatsoever as to what a species is and refuses to use the term, instead falling back onto "Kinds".
    In short he is demanding a miraculous occurrence to explain a scientific theory.

Observed Instances of Speciation
    Of course he will disregard the above, as he talks about the dubious term "Kinds", not species.

1 person likes this.
  15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

people smarter then i am say nothing when there is no point in saying it.

16. Wizardofodd

I was just being sarcastic. That dumbass filming the video wouldn't have known any better and wouldn't care to listen even if someone explained it.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

So is your point that we're now calling them birds?

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No, my point is we are dinosaurs

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

we sure look a whole bunch more like mammals. last i checked there were some rather specific distinguishing characteristics. we are all life, i'll grant you that.

we do seem to be working hard at making ourselves extinct. this is not however an anatomical characteristic, but a wrongfully taught and learned, from of behavior.

many things are not as romantically simple as we might like them to be.

i do refuse to believe in the goodness, of anything that would oppose the avoidance of causing harm.

and that is of course the problem with western religions, they in effect and ultimately, whether or not their origins intended them to, as in deed they might not have,
    do, all to sadly and unfortunately, oppose the avoidance of causing harm, or at least the recognition of the avoidance of causing harm,
    being the one true morality.

20. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

Alot of good points being made here. It does seem, unfortunately, that even people who say they agree with the theory of evolution don't really understand it. Most don't even know that it is actually a group of theories (4 or 5 depending on who you ask). The basics are of course 1) That species are not immutable. 2) That members of species vary. 3) That some of those variations are heritable 4) That heritable variation has an effect on reproductive fitness. 5) That the mathematical outcome derived from following the other theories to their conclusions provides the driving force of speciation. Most people collapse 2 and 3 into 1 theory.

That being said the evidence is overwhelming throughout history and the present. Just to name a few: 1) aquatic animals with terestrial skeletal features and lungs. 2) Animals that live in perpetual darkness with non-functioning eyes. 3) The fact that humans have fewer chromosomes than chimps but on closer inspection we see that humans possess a chromosome with telomeres in the center (these formed from the fusion of other chromosomes, otherwise they would have centromeres in the center). 4) The fact that the human genome contains partially degraded genes for yolk production and the human embrio has an empty, unnecessary, yolk sac. 5) That humans possess eyes that evolved to see underwater (the fact that our eyes are fluid filled distorts the light and prevents us from seeing as well as many underwater creatures with similar eyes). 6). The fact that a certain type of lizard was introduced to a foreign environment and studied for 30 generations after which the guts of this lizard evolved coecal valves despite these being absent from the entire family which the lizard came from (this was a well documented experiment which shows evolution happening to a large organism in a tiny amount of time). And this list could go on and on.

1 person likes this.