What Book Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by butterfly712, Nov 1, 2014.

1. butterfly712

butterfly712 Members

What book are you reading?I'm getting ready to read the first book of the morganville vampires Glass Houses by Rachel Caine.

2. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

The Salem Witch Trials - Sourcebook.
    Divergent - Fiction.
    The Book of the Hopi - Bible.

And then, as always im reading the bible on a regular basis. Not from start to finish but I flip through pages nearly everyday, it may not be for everyone but it's got some fantastic stories.

I have heard some great things about Rachel Caine from another author, Ben Mikaelson; or at least I recall very fuzzily. But hes a family friend, great guy. Always has awesome things to say about other people.

How is your book so far?

3. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i just started The Black Corridor, a sci-fi book about a guy who is fed up with the decline of society, so he steals(?) a spaceship and flees toward Barnard's Star. he takes a small crew with him but puts them all in suspended animation, due to the long time of the flight, even at 90% of the speed of light. he stars to have delusions and stuff like that later in the book i think.

i just finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, about a war with an alien species, and how relativistic effects of time due to traveling near light speed can have drastic effects. pretty good book.

and i finished the Helliconia trilogy, about an Earth-like planet with a human-like species, as well as an intelligent, bipedal cow-like species which has many conflicts with the humans throughout.

glad to see that you included it here, under fiction, where it belongs.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But the bible is a history book of sorts too plus it's a great book to unlock the attitudes and mind frames of the people at the time. Behind many tales and myths hold key truths and clues of our past. While I hold the religious aspect of the bible as fiction, I think political aspects etc. should be held for history isles. =p

3 people like this.
  5. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

The Tao of Physics; I've gotten to the part on the S-matrix; does the limitation upon that generalization allow for string theory to make out all the stuff of the Universe, OR does the stuff of the Universe be considered to really make non-sense out of space and time?; what a joke: the youtube video about string-theory, I mean.

But Fritjoff's "Tao of Physics", like Hollyways "On Forgiveness"; that was worth reading again.

6. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Lol im such a dumbass sometimes, didn't even see the subthread.

But seriously, I cant believe you just called out the bible. It's like your trying to pick the oldest fight in the book; stop it.

7. dogsy64

dogsy64 Guest

Just read "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. It was a great book about a priest trying to build a cathedral during the 11th century. I wasn't what I expected but could not put it down once I started it.

Now I am reading "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett. If I enjoy a novel, I will read all the books by that Author, not sure if this behavior is normal of crazy.

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

9. JayK

JayK Members

Mysteries Of The Ancient Americas

10. Ladybird321

Ladybird321 Members

I'm currently re-reading Paulo Coelho's "Alchemist".

11. Cathy55

Cathy55 Members

100 years of solitude, not a fiction, but this is what I'm reading now.

12. quark

quark Parts Unknown

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin

13. Ringstar

Ringstar Novice Warlock

"Rose Madder" by Stephen King.

14. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I know this book is on Oprah's reading list and it is highly lauded. It is also one of the few books that I just could not finish. I even read over half of it, thinking I would get to SOME place that I would actually be able to want to relate to these people and enjoy the book. I'm almost embarrassed to say I couldn't make myself finish it. nope.

Right now I'm almost through with an excellent read, A Season of Miracles by Rusty Whitener.

Rose Madder is a very good book.

15. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I'm out of books to read does anyone have any recommendations before I dig out my library card? I really like fantasy and Sci fi books. Especially Sci fi about weird dystopian futures.

16. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog by Bruce Perry

17. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I know it's lame of me to mention the book I'm reading once again, but "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin is a classic dystopian novel. It's comparable to Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World (although it actually came out before both of them). Walden 2 by B.F. Skinner is another book along the same line.

Oddly, I found that Hard Times by Charles Dickens reminded me of a dystopian novel... The back of my version reads: : "... Hard Times is Charles Dickens withering portrait of a Lancashire milltown in the 1840's. In the persons Gradgrind and Bounderby he powerfully stigmatized the prevalent philosophy of utilitarianism which, whether school or factory, allowed human beings to be caged in a dreary scenery of brick terraces and foul chimneys, to be enslaved by machines, and reduced to numbers."

1 person likes this.
  18. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I read hard times in English class in grade 9! I will look for your other suggestions at the library though, thank you!

19. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

"The Man In The High Castle" by Philip K. Dick. (Amazon has made a new series based on it)

1 person likes this.
  20. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Matte, I'm just saying this so you'll know I'm responding to you (also)...I'll have to dig through a box but I KNOW I've read a neat little series about flying horses carryingwarrior women that are special and it being a matriarchal society. It was VERY good and I wish I could remember the name. I'll try to find it. :)

I'm reading a memoir right now by Augusten Burroughs, Running With Scissors. It is sad and bizarre and hilarious. It really is as good as the blurbs, which is quite rare. ha

1 person likes this.