[Fun] I'm So Old I Remember....

Discussion in 'Games and Contests' started by Dude111, Oct 31, 2014.

1. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

I'm so old,I can remember when morrow was called 'This morning'......

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The dimmer switch was on the floor.
    You had to use a real potato with Mr. Potato Head.
    There was no White Out.
    Curb feelers.
    Blow torches used white gasoline.
    White gasoline.
    A free glass of water came with every meal at a restaurant, without being asked for.
    Smudge pots were used for lighting construction sites on the highway.
    Soda Jerks.
    Boys wouldn't be caught dead playing with dolls (G.I.Joe).
    2 Cent returnables.
    If you dialed zero on the phone you could talk to a real person immediately, anytime of the night or day.
    The "Oldies" were new.

2 people like this.
  3. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

I'm so old, I remember getting paddled in school.

4. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

When gas was 79 cents

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

But that was only three days ago

1 person likes this.
  6. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

It was a pretend classroom though.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a free cup of coffee came with a meal in a lot of resteraunts. there were second hand stores that where neither thrift stores nor antique dealers. the movie house had one screen but showed two movies, a cartoon and a newsreel, all for the price of one ticket. 90 cents for the expensive seats. 65 or less for the cheap ones.

yes i watched the beatles on ed sullivan, along with topo gigo, kermit and senior winsces. i was in high school when jfk was shot. and watched the moon landing live too.

the 360/70 was new technology, and the pdp8e was revolutionary and sensational. personal computers (the mitz/altair kit) were still 10 years in the future.

heathkit, allied, and knight kits.

southern pacific regional intertie network telecomunications, was also brand new and would be another ten years before it would be spun off as the independent sprint.

the highway post office. like a railroad mail car only in a bus. mr zip, the introduction of the zip code.

r-blocks (solid trains of refrigerator cars), the fms, first all tofc/cofc train. the wcm being religated to being the sweep. djrussle being chairman of the board, at 65 market street, and tfc being chief dispatcher of the sacramento devision in roseville. 101/102, 27/28, 21/22 pulled by daylight painted alco pa's. with blackwidow f-unit helpers on the point.

the little park by the post office with everyone's initials carved into the one picknic table and the poor old one tree.

alt-13, alt-6b, and even chaff pods in the airforce, although i was also trained on the alr-36.

the old narrow gauge bridge accross the bear river and the building of rolins dam.

drafting with t-squares and calculating with slide rules.

mimi the tool girl in mechanix illustrated

matchbox cars that came in little matchboxes.

1 person likes this.
  8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

lol wtf is that?...fake whitewall hubcaps??

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

basically yes. i remember there were several cars in the little town where i grew up that people had them. when you replaced the old tyre, you could keep it and put in on the new one.
    we've always had crazy things like that, someone would buy.

there were also cars you could get in kit form and assemble them yourself. including ww2 surplus jeeps and trucks that had been partially dissassembled for over seas shipping, still crated up.

before the chevy two and the volkswagon bug showed up in town, there was the nash. another automotive oddity someone in town had was the packard clipper. a sedan convertable, with lots of wood trim, designed to look boat like, with a boat type steering wheel. (and a chrysler hemmi with headers for a motor).

11. puggybear

I can remember the days when if I heard a click it was from a switch,not my knees.

12. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

I remember having a dipswitch on the floor, that you worked with your left foot.

I once changed gear on the dipswitch, too ...

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm so old I can't remember...

What was the topic?

1 person likes this.
  14. puggybear

[tut]
    we were talking about how changing the ribbon in typewriters was an arse,Asmo....

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

That I remember... I used to install them upside down so regular type was red. ;)

16. puggybear

That's because YOU,sir,are a REBEL!

...and I can remember when car indicators were little arms that swung out and lit up.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

or just had reflectors instead of lighting up. highways were two lane and bumper to bumper for hundreds of miles, and you could get there quicker on a train because of it. and i don't mean high speed trains like in europe and asia now. and greyhound had scenicrusers, and they stopped at every wide place in the road, 8 times a day. and their were actually railroad stations in towns of fewer then a thousand people, and passenger trains actually stopped them. and the railroad had people working there 24-7-365 in almost all of them. doctors were still making house calls when i was in high school too.

i can remember when a confidence game was an actual crime. and loan sharks actually went to jail. and america was closer to being a free country. not because of capitalism, but because corporations weren't allowed to privatize things like air and water. when look and feel weren't copwrightable, and genetic modifications weren't patentable. when everyone knew how to hold a hammer and most knew how to drive a nail with it.

i remember hand powered eggbeaters, and hand drills that worked the same way. and for larger holes you used something called a brace and bit.

when the only adjustable wrench was something called a monkey wrench. when a car was something that if you owned and knew how to drive, you probably knew how to fix yourself too. but it wasn't something you would normally think of first as a way to go further then the nearest major city. and an airplane wasn't the way most people thought of first to get from one city to another.

light rail was called trolly cars, and any city worthy of being called one had them. and some of them even connected towns. when semi-trailers of less then 28' were more common then those of 40' or more.

when fisherman's warf was actually a marina for small fishing boats and the cannery was still a cannery.

oh bloody hell. you live more then 50 years, you can write a whole book just of i remember whens.

and those who are younger then that, if your lucky, will be able to tell your kids you remember when no human had yet set foot on mars.

hmmm, when the world altitude record for humans, had been set by some guy in a balloon. and the first thing to go higher then that was the x-15

and you pants had a union label that said they were made in the same country you lived in. and it was true.

millionaires and the unemployed were each less then ten percent and everyone else was in a real middle class. that meant, among other things, that if you had any kind of job at all, you could afford to buy things that weren't complete crap. and it was because infrastructure was unionized and retailing was mom and pop, that we were.

the words don't mean as much without the sights and sounds and smells to go with them, and i remember those too.

2 people like this.
  18. puggybear

Bloody Norah,Themnax! Did you remember to take a breath during that tirade,mate?

it makes my own "I remember when people on 70's tv weren't automatically perverts" seem rather trite....

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I'm so old I remember how much the '80's sucked.

1 person likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Visitor

so old I remember when Levis was just a leaf....