What Do You Think Of The Pope's Remarks?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by guerillabedlam, Oct 31, 2014.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm curious what you think of the remarks made recently by the pope and the impact it may have?

http://io9.com/pope-rails-against-intelligent-design-says-god-isnt-a-1652162938

2. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Makes sense.

Except the part where Abraham kills his son.

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

What part is that? In my Bible, that never happens.

1 person likes this.
  4. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Which bible? Theres like 400 denominations or some ridiculous number. I could have recollected it wrong, did god stop him? I remember there being a decision involved, but for the most part I was trying to speak in rhetoric.

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I think he's full of shit, just as I did before reading the above remarks.

1 person likes this.
  6. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Any Bible you could name. Yes, God stopped him. Rhetoric falls flat when the major details are wrong.

1 person likes this.
  7. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

bahahha im an idiot sometimes.

I meant to sway by using a graphic and violent circumstance as told in the bible.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this pope speaks from a greater understanding then those who criticize him. still he is only a man.
    even as jesus was only a man, though the god/christ spirit is believed to have spoken through him.

these particular quotes don't make a lot of sense on their own,
    but instead reflect the demands of his office.

physical science is simply not the concern of religions belief.

nor belief that of science.

and this is not limited to christianity either.

9. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

So what is it about the indifference or passive state in forgiveness that the pope essentialistically will not absolve? Pope Francis states that people who forgive lose all positions of defence from the one's forgiven. The indifference in doing cannot be handled by the forgiver; he must remain vigilant for trusting what was once the enemy. One must reconcile fully in the Holy Spirit, as it were.

Forgive%20us,%20Lord%22%20for%20indifference.webarchive

this is it for the unenlightened:

http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-at-lampedusa-forgive-us-lord-for-indifferen-2

Of course, existentialists for instance, do not believe in the holy spirit connected to heaven for Consciousness.

10. Desos

Desos Senior Member

it sounds like he is compromising to the pressures of evolutionists. pretty much most of the world believes in evolution, that is a lot of pressure. but it is still not biblical.

what is biblical is that man was created in God's image. and there was a distinction between the creation of man and of animals. so how could you say from a biblical perspective that man was created as an animal and then evolved into the image of God? the fact that man was created in the image of God is a very important part of the christian faith that has several implications.

besides, darwin's theory of evolution isn't exactly bulletproof.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I liked the Polish pope. He was awesome. =)

12. Boldy Coyote

Boldy Coyote Member

He's a great pope, maybe the greatest ever. Certainly my favorite one. The rest of them were so....wordly, this one actually seems to be opposed to the "strong crush the weak" way of the world for a change. Looking out for the little guy! Okay, I can get behind that!

13. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

religeons are slowly crumbling

14. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

They are remarked upon but I don't look for them to be remakable

15. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

the pope sems pretty happy even as he says %20 of the clergy are pederasts
    he seems pretty happy in general
    i wouldn't be pope for any wage
    he is a good politician
    that's pretty much it methinks

1 person likes this.
  16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

God doesn't like kids. He sent 2 bears to rip up 42 of them in the OT.

17. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

you error in assuming it means Gods physical image, when it speaks of the spirit in us, not the meat and bones, silly.

but really Desos, what happened???
    We used to have great convos about stuff here and it seems you have willingly taken a step or two backwards in your thinking.
    Really dude, you used too impress as being considerably smarter, did someone dose you with something during your roaming hippy phase?

18. thedope

So considering our cross thread conversation where did you respond to guerillabedlam's question NoxiouGas?

'Go post in my thread in the Christianity forum Noxious, Id be interested in hearing a response from you "

1 person likes this.
  19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

???, what happened to it???
    it seems as if a page went missing or I'm losing my mind. My post wasn't the last one here??????

guess old age is catching up with me.

anywho, in answer to the OP question,
    Isn't that what I've stated many, many times here, that evolution and Big bang, etc do not negate the existence of a creator,
    only the most basic and rudimentary conception of it.

and I agree with these two comments on that page;

"Because there has been a wildly successful campaign to reframe "Christianity" as "defiantly literalist Protestant Evangelical Conservative Christianity," and so people are surprised when the Pope says stuff like this."

"......You have to remember that American 'Christians' are Christians in name only. They're much more interested in the 'wrath of God' and 'smite thine enemies' God of the old testament than the 'love thy neighbours' and 'turn the other cheek' message of Christ in the new testament."

the above quote really rings true as that is where most opposing the bible hang their arguments, the OT, when in fact that is not what Christianity is about.

I thinks GB is making assumptions concerning what/how I believe in regards to Christianity and I will admit it gives a me little chuckle to know how off base he and most others are when trying to stuff me into their boxes. ;)
    hehe.

1 person likes this.
  20. thedope

Not to rile things up but could those little boxes he might be trying to put you in, be your words?
    He told me he was a good debater.