Why Did Head Shops Go Out Of Business ?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by jcstine, Oct 28, 2014.

1. jcstine

jcstine Members

Back around twenty yrs ago we used to go to the city mall where we'd find a "head shop" and buy all our paraphernalia. They and all other known shops closed there doors and went out of business. It was never legal in washington state before so I'm wondering the how and whys involving pot?

2. DonnaVibes

DonnaVibes Members

that's interesting ...here there is one up the street from me and you can get a few things in random corner stores....

3. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

In Boston and Salem, there are more head shops than ever before.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

They turned into tobacco stores....

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

Head shop in Pittsburgh was responsible for Tommy Chong going to prison..

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

if your local headshop was in a mall, it probably closed because it was in a mall and malls are dead. and expensive.

other than that, i don't know. last i knew there were still headshops all over the place around here. i mean, not right here because i'm in a small town that can't really support it. but it hasn't been that long since i lived in a bigger town. and there's some gas stations around here that sell pipes.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

uhmmm, they didn't

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

tons of head shops here....have one actually called ''the head shop''

some shops have to claim they are tobacco accessory stores to get around the laws

also

wrong forum for this thread

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

What are you talking about?

Various places have had ebbs and flows with head/smoke shops. The phrase head shop may not be acceptable some places, and you'll be kicked out for saying things with an illegal or drug-related connotation - but there are smoke shops where you can buy smoking devices.

10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Thread moved to Marijuana section.

I remember alot of the mall head shops closing around here. It was probably because mall shoppers complained.

11. puffed up in my ford

puffed up in my ford Senior Member

Oh ya there is.every none name brand convenience store and gas station here sells pipes or pretty much whatever you want except the weed.smoke shops are plentiful as well.

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

There are at least a dozen within walking distance from me. Seems like there's a new one opening up once a year. Not to mention almost every gas station sells glass, grinders, and other accessories. So....

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Maybe it was bad owners who made poor decisions. The "head shop" in of itself is not illegal since they say they are selling tobacco pipes.

It could have also been pressure from the neighborhood, maybe not the sort of store they wanted there. I know in Colorado even with it legal many of the richer areas still will not have it. The weed stores have to be in downtown or more middle class areas.

14. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

In 1976 I purchased my first pack of papers (strawberry) at the African Head Shop in Montgomery Alabama. It's still there. But most "head shops" today are merged with gas stations, liquor stores or sex shops. The original business model wasn't very profitable anyway. Now it's wildly profitable (especially in truck stops).

But, malls are dead.

15. StonedClassy

StonedClassy Members

I definitely wouldn't say headshops are dead. There's plenty in my area, and plenty around most colleges. There has been an increase in online headshops, however.