Trimming The Dank

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by ZenKarma, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

So what do you use to trim your dank luscious buds into little Christmas tree shapes?

Or do you prefer wildly different shaped buds?

Ha! Too many questions for stoners, I know :)

Here are the cheap scissors from Wally World they sell around these parts... they won't carry the Fiskars with springs. [​IMG]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:151090]

Many people say they can't handle using the spring-loaded type.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:151091]

These offset handled Fiskars are quite nice, but a trifle large for close trimming work.
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:151092]

And how do you like to trim your bud? Closely, using all the trim to make extract? Or do you leave as much leaf as possible, especially if the leaves are frosted with trichomes?

So many variations...

Here is some Orange Bud from Amsterdam. Note the hairs sticking out from the bud left intact for the customer to enjoy :)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:151088]

California seems to operate on the theory that more trim is better, and buds are closely shaved and shaped.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:151093]

I'd like to hear some trimming tales... I've seen some bizarre situations and encountered the strangest people who trim. Is it for the fun, or the money I often wonder...

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I have been trimming professionally as an independent contractor of late. Billed as Have Scissors Will Travel, I use Hydrofarms curved titanium scissors which is spring loaded, replacement springs available. I trim to suit the growers expectations in this area mostly trimming the tips of the sugar leaves while preserving the character, shape of the bud, being sure to remove the crows feet at the base of the buds. I think Cali growers prefer the christmas tree close crop to hold down on duff as the stuff is transported a lot. Mostly again in my area we wet trim buds on branches and then hang for drying whereas in cali you see a lot of dry trimming simply because of volume.

1 person likes this.
  3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

the big growers and sellers in cali are all automated...that's why the close shave on the buds.........I prefer non spring loaded sewing scissors with the thumb hook.....otherwise my finger gets sore too quick

1 person likes this.
  4. thedope

I don't know what you call big rollingalong but whereas some bud is trimmed by machines there is a large work force that migrates to the triangle area during harvest season and are employed to process harvests,(trim). The grower size I am talking about is big enough to attract federal agents rappelling from helicopters onto ridges to tear up plants. Not sure what you mean in saying big sellers are automated.

I make the comment about close trim because I met people from my area who went down there who said they were instructed to trim high and tight as they, "didn't go for the hippy trim down there." As to trimming machines there is a lot of room for invention yet as tumblers leave an obvious trace or you can see the different in a high and tight hand trim and a machine trim, although fan type trimmers are very efficient at bucking branches. In my area and with licensed commercial grower processors I know, hand trimming remains the preferred method although they are open to any decent innovation.

1 person likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I always liked to pre trim while still in flowering stage. then its not such a chore .. size of grow depending..

1 person likes this.
  6. thedope

The most effective way I have seen to reduce labor time at finish is to heavily prune after veg and just prior to flower leaving only the tips a relatively few strong branches. Every bud on the plant then is juiced up heavy leaving very few fan leaves and no small stuff. Every branch requires support then however because the plant doesn't maintain it's natural proportional integrity but it is really effective at getting large yields from shorter veg times in indoor situations.

I have trimmed for growers who do and don't prune effectively and the difference in the time and effort it takes to trim is remarkable.

1 person likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

Great to see a grow dialog going on in here :)

I am in Northern California and have seen the trimmers in action.

When I first arrived back in '04 it was to a large plantation where they had a 10,000 sq ft main house. The main hall was filled with a dozen 8 foot banquet tables, and there was a lot of trimming going on.

Hippy trimming for sure. The place was run by a rastafarian white guy and everyone was a 'church' member.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I've trimmed crops that border on actual work. Not just smoking while you chill out for a few hours but like assembly line work all day operations.

If you trim a bit too much bud off it, no big deal we are just making hash with the trim anyway. :chef:

2 people like this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

weird question.

When I pull my buds out my baggie, I just chuck them straight into a blender stem and all. When i pack my cone piece I often find bits of stem etc that I pick out. But then i read everyone complain about stems.. so should I be trimming my buds at all before grinding them or is all good?

1 person likes this.
  10. deleted

deleted Visitor

Some stems cant be helped but get smoked. if you tossed every little tiny stem away, probably wouldnt have much weed to smoke with.. not talking about evil prick stem that pokes out the paper. but those too, sometimes a little stem like that only needs to shift a little and it gets smoked like the rest the bud..

some bud is more stem than other varieties.

1 person likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Cool, I've heard of stem and chicken soup, my friend had some totally fucked her up lol and it was just chicken soup with MJ stems added.

1 person likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Visitor

I just spun a doobie and there wasnt anything left on the table.

Before that I had a few toothpick sized stems I tossed away , sometimes I save the stems , but I dont really cook with them or anything like that. Ill burn them with some other herbs for smudge .. my favorite edible stems are quick growing hollow shoots, fresh like celery.

when trimming fresh buds Ive an addiction to eat and chew on fresh just cut buds.

1 person likes this.
  13. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

all i can say is that i appreciate a nicely trimmed bud. i'm really picky about not smoking leaves and stems, and it seems like sometimes half of the bag is that. except for big stems, it gets ground up and vaporized.

1 person likes this.
  14. thedope

Did a job today. Three people five hours five lbs, that's haulin ass.

1 person likes this.
  15. ~Zen~

I always break apart my buds, even after they've been trimmed. Before smoking, I pull them apart and take out any stem before grinding it up...

Some strains are rock hard.. Like Sour Bubble.

Some are so sticky the grinder has to be cleaned with alcohol after every third grind :)

Lately there has been so much resin that the glassware has to be cleaned with alcohol and salt crystals...

3 people like this.
  16. thedope

Why trim bud? I hear the phrase curb appeal.

17. ~Zen~

Why trim bud?

So many reasons...

Firstly, the flowers are where the most active ingredients of Cannabis are found.

Secondly, the flowers taste better than the leaves when smoked.

Third, it's not curb appeal...

It is BAG appeal!

;)

18. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

alcohol and salt gets everything sparkly clean :flyhigh:

1 person likes this.
  19. thedope

You've been watching sesame street again, I can tell by all the counting...hehe. Curb appeal is borrowed from car salesmen or just salesmen. Among pot sellers I have heard the term curb appeal used. Perhaps just a local colloquialism, however they don't bag the stuff if it won't show well through the bag or have a pleasant smell or adequate density which are things you find out by kicking the tires so to speak.

20. ~Zen~

Well I've seen so many BAGS of pot and heard it called BAG APPEAL that I think it's fairly common usage... as is curb appeal... but bags of weed don't sit by the curb very well before walking away... :)

Seen a lot of dispensaries where they show you some buds, then you say what you want, and they grab a pre-weighed bag from stock to sell you...

It is the rare exception where they let you choose the buds and pack them in glass or a plastic box for you.

I am sure things are different in other 'states' and locations.

Amsterdam coffeeshops go through more of those little dime-sized baggies than anywhere on the planet it seems.

So I wonder, what do they pack buds in for you?

Or do you get it like they sell it in Fiji, branches ripped off a plant wrapped in tinfoil?