Traveling Cheap With Celiac Disease

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by wtfisthatkid, Oct 21, 2014.

1. wtfisthatkid

wtfisthatkid Member

Anyone else with celiac have any tips?
    Id like to travel all around the states, probably by hitchhiking, trains, and buses.
    Except I don't have much money and I want to do this soon before I probably go back to school next year..
    And I have celiac disease so I cant just eat anything..
    I guess I was just wondering if anyone with celiac has any experience with this.

For those that don't know, celiac is an autoimmune disease that causes the immune system to attack the intestines when you eat gluten. Gluten is found in wheat barley and rye. Gluten is in sooooo much food. At home I eat a lot of gluten free versions of foods and I know I can get them at the store here..eating out is harder..I haven't even tried since my diagnosis.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I never heard of celiac before....
    You can eat salads without bread crumbs?.....must be awful to have to only get gluten free pastas and watch all of that....I love pasta and breads.....

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Easy. Simply cut out carbohydrates from your diet, with the exception of vegetables and fruits. Don't eat processed foods or anything containing wheat flour and you should be just fine. There is no need for any fancy "gluten free" food items, because most whole foods are naturally gluten free.

To me it's a non-issue when you eat the right way.

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Bit hard, if you plan to do the anarchist bohemian train hopping thing. That pretty much entails eating anything you can find in a dumpster (generally only cheap shit gets thrown out - the health food store is not going to throw out a bunch of whole foods, but you can wait by the pizza hut dumpster for the guy to bring out the overdue ones and be friendly-like, etc), or anything you can bum.

If you eat cheap meats and stuff (all the hormones, hydrogenated shit, etc) you'll be in poor shape.

Some chronic diseases don't mix with train hopping - wish I could have done some of that, but my pancreas says no.

You might consider doing it with an arrangement with someone who you know is trustworthy and will be staying put during that time, who has some money set aside to wire you if you end up starving or otherwise in trouble - and make sure their number is committed to memory, not on paper or a cell phone or something.. And you should be traveling with someone anyway, I think, that also gives some degree of safety.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I got tested for this but it all came back clear although glutons and certain starch can play havoc on my system.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm a juggalo and you can eat a dick if your not and if you stare too long you get your eye ball popped
    I can't help it if I'm into weird shit, looking in the mirror with my eyes closed eatin' lipstick

7. Vincent2012

Vincent2012 Perpetual Smiler

Actually, Gluten comes in more than just bread form. It can be found in just about everything, some examples include most chip seasonings, 'beef' flavored stuff, vitamins, soups (even soups without noodles), candies, soy sauce, anything with wheat, barley, hopps, rye, and a lot of other grains, most process foods have been in a facility that also processes gluten products, and even a trace can be horrid for folks with cealiacs...

did you know licorise (twizzlers) has wheat in it?

I say, if you plan on shopping for food still, just read the ingredients label, ensure it is Glutten Free, and find what you need to replace things that have gluten in them.

8. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I knew a fella that did that, and though he did not have celiac disease, he was gluten intolerant. He went specifically for corn products, and some dairy. Some salad veggies may not work for celiac because he also had problems with that. Like potatoes. But he had a ball with kale.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I feel for ya, fellow celiac sufferer here. :sick2:

it's all from wheat flour because wheat flour is used as a thickening agent in a wide variety of sauces, condiments, fillings and candy.

living on the road and having to deal with celiacs won't be fun or easy as wheat is the cheapest and most plentiful food product and eating on the cheap will be kinda hard if you want to avoid it.

and concerning PR's response,

Ya know PR some folks can't just pop on over the whole foods organic farmers market and pay double the $$$ for stuff like you seem to be able to do on a regular basis and shit. You act like it is just so easy and why doesn't everyone do it?
    For someone who goes all out investigating conspiracies, you are pretty out of touch with what is reality for the majority of people it would seem.
    Damn you must be making one helluva income at your night job in the old folks home, or is it just the monthly check from Daddy?

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Right? This thread's about hitching around the country.... to me, your issue is a non-issue, because I'm me and not you, and am not in the position you're trying to plan to deal with this issue in, PR says.

Just wait for the first saturday, hit up a farmer's market, and start saving panhandling money so you can eat again next first saturday.

11. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Rice and beans. Cheap, filling, and gluten free. Lots of trail mix type food too: dried fruits, nuts, etc.

Try finding cheap breakfast places where you can fill up on eggs, potatoes, and meat.