Linux Laptop

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by ezm8, Oct 20, 2014.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop with a linux OS. Here's some background.

General things that I want.

• Privacy: I just don't like the idea of anyone snooping around my data, whether it's stored on my machine or transmitted over the internet.

• Fraud protection: I think this is the highest security/privacy risk in practical terms. I haven't had a need to use a CC online or do online banking yet, but I would still like to be able to that.

• Protection from other potential harmful use of data: Once data is collected, as far as I know, on-line data aggregators are willing to sell to anyone who'll pay for data. So if political group A wants to make a list people who fit political profile B so that they can harass, intimidate, or otherwise harm them, there is nothing to stop them from doing this. There are also a lot of other problems that could be created by data collection.

• Protection from non-government entities is the priority. I don't like the fact that the NSA makes warrentless searches, but I'm not breaking any laws, so I'm actually much more concerned about corporate data collection than the government/police, though in principle the NSA could be using data for non-law enforcement purposes. Protecting my computer from someone who has physical access to my machine is a low priority, as I think there is also low risk, but some basic security would be ok.

• Freedom from other malware annoyances: key loggers are the big thing, but I hate pop-ups and browser hijacks too.

Specific uses I have in mind.
    • Send and receive email

• Web browsing and youtube videos

• Spread sheet and word processor

• Connect to the internet via wi-fi with good range, 50mps speed will probably be adequate

Uses I don't care about:
    • No itunes, no netflix, no on-or-off-line gaming, no pic or video editing. I probably don't want skype either. I'm not against having these capabilities, it's just don't care about them.
    Stuff that I think I'll need
    • Basic Hardware. Hardware needs will probably be pretty bare-bones. A decent amount of RAM would be helpful. Hardware should support the OS and applications, and important updates over the next few years.

• CD Drive. A cd drive would be necessary if I want to boot linux from a cd.

• Internal or plug-in wifi. I don't think that I'll need more than 50mps connection speed.

• Ease of use. I don't mind learning commands, but a GUI is easy and familiar.
    Stuff that I think I don't need
    • Dual boot. Because my uses are pretty bare-bones, I don't think that I need a dual boot with windows. I also have a gut-level hatred of microsoft products, so I would be happier without them.

• DVD. I may want to watch a dvd once in a blue moon, but I have other options for that. No real need for a dvd/cd drive, except if I go with the cd boot option.

• HD Screen. I don't care about an HD screen. A 14" screen should be big enough, though I'm not against a bigger screen.

• Big Hard Drive. Hard drive size doesn't seem too important. I can't imagine myself needing more than 50GB.

• Super Mobility. Probably won't use this on the go too much. Some mobility option is appealing though. Because of this, battery life and weight are not too important.

• Integrated Web Cam. I'd rather avoid an integrated web-cam, as this seems to pose an inherent privacy risk, and I have little or no need for it.

What I think I should do:

TAILS seems like the best way to go if security and privacy are a priority. It also comes bundled with other secure software.

Booting from a completely burned CD seems like the most secure option. I'm assuming that it's more-or-less impossible to add anything on or take anything away from it. So as long as you've got a clean copy, it should be very well protected from corruption.

There are on-line laptop dealers that specialize in selling machines with linux installed, but this should be a non-issue if I boot from a CD.

So I have to locate a vendor, pick a model, and get my hands on a clean copy of TAILS.

I don't send or receive too many emails with high security needs, but I'd like to be protected when I do. I'm reluctant to use a monthly paid subscription service, since I don't anticipate that many high security messages. Lavabit and Safemail have been mentioned as relatively secure free web-based email services.

Other general things:

Price: $500 or under. I can stretch it if need be, be generally the cheaper the better.

I don't have great tech skills or knowledge, but I can follow clear instructions. As long as I'm not doing a linux install myself, I guessing this shouldn't be an issue.

I generally prefer to not have too many hassles.

Any recommendations on a vendor, model, linux distro, or other?

2. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

haha, dont forget to wear that tinfoil hat while using your laptop :)

no but seriously, you sound like you only need the most basic things which can be easily achieved by any laptop and virtually any OS. you dont really need linux for that, unless you really like it.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

wrap the whole laptop in the foil ... you won't be able to get a wifi signal though ;)

i love linux. pretty much any laptop will run some flavor of linux. i recommend one of the ubuntu flavors, for the development community involved with the distrobution is great. it comes with an installer which is pretty damn easy (at least a whole lot easier than some linux installs). pretty much everything in your list (both wants, and stuff you dont) can be had in linux, with the exception of iTunes, which is apple's fault because iTunes is closed source and Apple just won't release a linux build :/ i prefer KDE as a window manager, as it has tons of features (way more than you get with windows), it uses more resources annd probably battery life though than something more lightweight like xfce. i can tell you from experience though that getting sound to work properly with pulseaudio in skype with KDE required a few little hacks. plenty of open source word processors, spreadsheet programs that are included with most mainstream distributions, also no shortage of image editing, video, video encoding, etc to choose from and yes, the office applications all can read and save MS Office files.

for security, on a laptop you can go for whole disk encryption which is probably overkill, you would most likely be fine just encrypting say your home folder. there's plenty of forum posts out there about how to set this up. it still won't stop the CIA from waterboarding you until you tell them the password tho ;)

linux is like an OS built out of legos, you can pick and choose what peices you need really for what you use it for.

don't be afraid to try installing it. whichever distribution you pick, read the installation instructions, and it helps to read a little about the linux way of doing things.

i would write more about ways to increase privacy but its fuckin late. i will say tho, that the services that big companies provide for free (you know the names) are honeypots for collecting data so be careful about that sort of thing when you are making accounts online. even with Tor and everything else you could imagine, they can still collect data on you when you willingly provide it, whether it's obvious or not. basically the more points of data they can collect, the easier it is for them to connect the dots and tie them all to the same user. so make an email account using tor, use all fake info, and use it for whatever purpose and then never use it again. if you accidentally use it for something else, or ever for example, sign in from a normal connection then they will be able to connect the two users that appeared at first to be completely seperate identities, and will be able to tell that they are actually the same person.

4. AceK

oops, i will add .. use PGP encryption in emails (can be a bitch to explain it to most people and convince them to use it tho)

also, the NSA has this sort of list i forget what its called, but its a list of keywords and activities that they find 'interesting' and will watch those users more. forums about linux is one, and any emails using PGP get watched too .. they figure since they can't read the message body then it must be pretty interesting i suppose...plus a whole lot of other things that in totality probably makes pretty much every computer user seem interesting ;)

5. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

sup ace! nice to meet a fellow linux user and coder, i really like ubuntu myself and i am in the process of trying to get adobe master collection working on wine, once i have that ill have everything i want on my linux computer. my everyday computer is a macbook which i also love, and im running parallels on it so i can have the windows option whenever i need it. if i could pick up girls online i would never have to leave my room!

6. lode

lode Banned

Do not use tails as a primary operating system. It's purpose is anonymity. If you log on to anything you access from day to day internet, banking, email, these forums, not only is the anonymity of tor defeated, but your credentials are much more likely to be attacked.

For day to day use, Linux is your best answer. Be cautious with Ubuntu's Default desktop interface, Unity. It comes bundled with amazon spyware. If going with Ubuntu, I would recommend ace's suggestion of Ubuntu KDE, it's gorgeous and full featured.

I'm a Linux Mint guy. It's been on top of Disto-Watch for about two years now, and there's good reason. It's based upon the core of Ubuntu, just as Ubuntu is upon Debian. But they've built their own software systems upon in, for an operating system that is both easy for a linux newcomer, and has the full power of debian for the power hungry. I use Mint-XFCE. It still looks very elegant but doesn't have the overhead of KDE, and I'm largely a command line user at this point, so I don't need the GUI as often.

I do use several packages from KDE though. Konsole is by far the best terminal!

My advice from looking around on the market, just go to walmart and buy the $300 special. Then pay a local geek $40 to hook it up for you. If you search on craigslist in the linux forum, I guarantee you'll have it up within a day. Online markets strangely overcharge for Linux pre-installed laptops.

Spend the remaining $100 for a years subscription to a VPN. You'll have anonymity and security for reasonable web browsing.

1 person likes this.
  7. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Any labtop will do, it doesn't matter what model or brand.

Linux is basically a hackers dream, you can change virtually anything that has to do with the software, this goes for 'modding' and programming. So unless your really proficient with command lines and an operating language, then Linux is a no-brainer. But Linux is extremely complicated and uses command lines to engage virtually every program; so if I could set up a connection between our 2 computers, I could literally play your computer from mine.

This is also a huge exploitation for people trying to steal your information.

But honestly, no computer is safe. I used to know somebody that could hack a stoplight intersection and change it from red to green with the push of a button. Just dont stress about it and do tune ups and malware scans every other week and you will be fine.

Some useful tools that most IT's use:
    HitmanPro
    Utorrent
    CCleaner
    Malwarebytes AntiMalware
    Kaspersky
    SuperAntiSpyware

8. ultravio1et

ultravio1et Members

well, for web surfing you could just download the Tor browser. or, get these extensions for your current browser: HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, Adblock.

9. newbie-one

I've got HTTPS everywhere and privacy badger, which is the EFF version of ghostery

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Grab any old laptop, and throw linux on it.

Any major distro can handle any normal computing needs, and should run on any standard computer, within reason.

One thing that laptops may not play nice with linux on is sleep/wake states - which can be really important, given the nature of a laptop. Just look up the one in question, and see if there are any known problems with it.

There's also pre-linuxed computers available, probably for pretty good prices.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

They are taking their sweet time with phones though.

Ubuntu by the end of the year, but I want KDE

Trying to do it manually is too much of. A headache

12. AceK

ARM builds of linux are not too hard to find, but what is probably the most important thing for a mobile operating system is not simply compiling the code to run on the target architecture, but a decent touch-based UI framework and development kits ... that are both easy to use and develop with. I know there are plenty of geeks that have surely installed linux on tablets but there isn't a whole lot of documentation on the issue so anyone doing so would be in somewhat uncharted territory.

a linux tablet would be super sexy tho, full shell access .. think of the possibilities ! I would expect a mobile distro to be complete with all the things you normally get in a linux distro, like compilers, libraries, text editors, and development kits. I have an iOS code editor (texttastic) .. with the option to use a bluetooth keyboard there's no reason not to be able to develop on the device itself, and with more open development also.

13. AceK

14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I have some ARM builds of Ubuntu linux with a sweet touch GUI....
    Androids.

1 person likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

On what phone though, online seems only versions for a nexus are working, every other phone listed, either wifi, bluetooth or sound....sound?? isnt working

16. lode

lode Banned

17. newbie-one

Ok, I've been looking around at laptops.

Normally I'm pretty reluctant to get anything off of craigslist, but I saw a toshiba satelite, allegedly 3GHz chip, 250G HD, 15.6" screen. Vista OS. Claims to be in like-new condition "has been sitting in Florida since I bought it in August 2010". $150

I'm going to try to get a model number on this before I look at it.

I'm assuming that by going to start/my computer/system info I should be able to verify the some of the hardware, and also by confirming the model number.

Maybe run some basic tests, surf the web, see how it handles a spread sheet.

Cons: It's from craigslist, which is very hit-or-miss. Difficulty/impossible to return for refund if defective.

Runs vista, which by all accounts is shit.

Pros: I'm planning of loading on linux anyway, so the os doesn't matter so much.

While it may have more firepower than I really need, seems to offer a lot of value for just $150.

What do you think?

18. newbie-one

Ok, the model number is allegedly Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965

According to CNET, the specs are

2.1 GHz (not the 3GHz advertised) dual core AMD athelon x2

3GB Ram DDR2

15.6" TFT LCD display

DVD burner

250GB HD

A toshiba support forum post claims

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

It's a dead end - but I guess that's laptops in general.

I'd offer them $35, take or leave, call me when you really would rather have $35 than throw it in the recycling bin.

I can go into detail on why, if you'd like.

20. newbie-one

yes, detail please.

one obvious drawback is that it has the 802.11 b/g wireless only. I think you can just use an external usb wireless card though, or other solutions

also, only 2USB ports

seems to be better than netbooks being sold new for $300 or more

Tags: