Being Positive

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by genevabee, Oct 18, 2014.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Fighting against it is important, it's a necessary step if you want to get better.

I think that you need to get some help to do this though. MD, acupuncturist, family, other.

2. genevabee

genevabee Guest

My family doesn't understand =/ where do you suggest I go from here??

3. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You could approach your local doctor or seek out a counseling service.

4. newbie-one

Wait, I thought you have one brother that you have a strong connection with?

Also, you could tell your doctor about your addiction.

I guess you could try NA. Even if you don't want to participate with them, they may be able to direct you to other resources.

Your dad kind of sounds like a dick, but maybe if you told him what's going on with you, he might be able to help out.

5. newbie-one

I think I mentioned a bunch of stuff on the other thread. I can't remember all of it off hand though.

6. genevabee

genevabee Guest

You guys think a counselor could help me w my opiate addiction? Like w how my brain is so addicted to the endorphin substitute that I will need something else to replace it so I don't pack all my sh*t up, buy a plane ticket to France, and shoot myself in a beautiful French park? Lol. My only brother I have a connection with. I love him, he's great. BUT he knows nothing!! He just wants to make music w his friends and smoke weed. I have tried a few cries of help to him a few times. Hey, do you guys suggest I try Methadone? Will they accept me?? I'm 1 1/2 months from age 24. Is it expensive? The stupid SSRI's the doctors prescribe me not only don't work, but make me more tired and depressive

7. genevabee

genevabee Guest

@ezm8 I will go back to that thread and read it. I take all your guys' advice very seriously and I have SO much gratitude for the help. Thank u thank u thank u so much!! You guys are wise

8. genevabee

genevabee Guest

Btw, I want to set the record straight so I don't sound like I'm making up stories left and right.i said this manager was the first women hater I ever met. No wait, I have a brother who secretly despises women. But this white trash manager was the first really outwardly woman hater I ever met. That's all. Setting my story straight. Love you guys ; ) =b =D

9. newbie-one

What sort of cries for help have you made to your brother?

Some times people are just not in a place mentally/emotionally where they can help out. If you're close to your brother, I suppose that you could try telling him that your addicted to pills, but it sounds like he probably won't be able to help.

Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine are the things I would recommend most highly, in so far as they have few/no side effects, and can address a range of problems that you are having. Finding affordable acupuncture could be a problem though unless there is a student/community clinic or someone who offers services on a sliding scale basis.

Getting you out of the suicide danger zone has to be the top priority. There's lots to criticize about suboxone and methadone, but you may need to be on one of these. A psychiatrist rather than an MD should probably prescribe your meds, both for addiction and anti-depressants. Your anti-depressant may need to be adjusted.

211 may help.

I wish I knew the clear path for you to get better, but I think that's the best that I can do

Love you too! <3

10. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Probably not. It keeps you on drugs to get off other drugs.

I wish you really really good luck.

11. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

Yeah, Methadone is addictive too, and the wd's from it last a lot longer. And it's a powerful drug. It doesn't really get you high, so you might be tempted to take higher doses, which can be dangerous. Just saying. Suboxone is addictive too, but it's helped a lot of people. You would need to find a doctor who will prescribe Sub's, and it's expensive. Also it sounds like you might need some counseling, and I guess even NA might help. If you live in LA you shouldn't have a problem finding all this. Just keep your head up and take things one day at a time. I wish you the best. :)

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

.....maybe you've never seen me argue with males, or something. I think I'm pretty fair.

I generally resent tough love - the phrase tends to be used to describe shit ideology and behavior that won't help anyone - but if you take the phrase without context, it's great, and could describe what I practice.

I don't agree with being tough for the sake of being tough, or to show that you care, or whatever - but I think that brutal honesty is the only way to improve (almost) any situation. Obviously, it's got to be coupled with however much positive regard you still have for the person.

People often give the most useful insight into their thought patterns when they're drunk - you can't effectively counsel them into any long-term improvement (what with the whole drunk thing), but you can learn more about the problem than they themselves know.

OP, methadone is designed to keep you an addict for ever, and make you relapse and then get back on methadone, for ever, to turn heroin addiction (which doesn't make pharm companies money) into something with worse withdrawls (and thus, more reinforcement of your addiction) that also happens to make money when you're addicted. Don't touch it if you value your brain chemistry (and chance to have it normal) at all. Better to mantain on your drug of choice, than transition to methadone and seal yourself in.

But that's just me, and as I'm no more ready to coddle you now than before, feel free to disregard my advice.

13. newbie-one

This is the pattern that I've noticed:

1. Girl posts about drug addiction/mental health problems/being suicidal

2. You respond with accusations of attention whoring, and general abuse/hostility

I recall specifically your posting about how a girl who said she was suicidal should "step in front of a fucking train". I can't find the original post, it may have been deleted.

This thread shows some of themes:

http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/391313-strung-out-girl/

Unless someone posts a reply like "Dear Roor, thanks for letting me know that all of my problems are my own damn fault, and that I'm an attention whore who should just snap out of it. Thanks to your brutal honesty, I'm now on the road to recovery", I'm not inclined to believe that brutal honesty is the least bit helpful, especially in situations where someone is feeling suicidal, and what you are being brutally honest about is how little sympathy you have for them.

After you've raked posters over the coals, they typically stop posting on the site. That tends to support the hypothesis that what you are saying is making things worse rather than better.

So regardless of whether you believe what you are saying is the truth, maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself if what you really want to do is to help someone.

I suspect that your brutal honesty has more to do with venting your own hostility than genuine sympathy.

The only thing that you need to be brutally honest about is the fact that if you want to recover, you have to make a good plan and follow through with it, regardless of who is to blame.

There's plenty to criticize about methadone. I think that acupuncture, especially if you can find a quality affordable source, is vastly better.

That said, methadone, especially at a low dose, may be a helpful option for at least some addicts. It's still an addictive opiate though.

1 person likes this.
  14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Many people posting about addiction are attention whores - many people who post about suicide are attention whores - many of them need to feel pushback and be told that, when they try to get attention with it.

this poster is one of two addicts I remember responding to since I've come back - the other was polishman - his original post about quitting was somewhat believable and pitiable, so I was nicer than to this poster - he kept posting, and I ripped him a new one.

Junkies stop coming around, you say? They do have a tendency to die, end up in jail, pawn their computer, get evicted or kicked out, etc., but I don't believe that me telling them what they need to hear is going to cause that - if it happens, it was going to happen anyway, the worst that can happen is nothing and the best is they can listen to me, as I see it.

I'm sure methadone has cases where it would be the right approach - but I think for most people who end up on it, it's the wrong choice, and closer to condemnation than treatment.

15. newbie-one

"Attention Whore" is slang that originated on the internet, not a new clinical diagnosis in the DSM-5.

While there are certainly people who engage in attention-seeking behaviors, the reasons why someone is posting about addiction or suicide are not known to you, and what they "need to feel" is not for you to judge.

I suspect that you are just making excuses for bullying vulnerable people.

The danger that you may be giving attention to someone who craves attention is that you may be wasting your time that could be better spent elsewhere. It's a trivial danger at worst.

The danger that you push an addict or a suicidal person into suicide, or prevent them from getting help is extreme.

If you think that someone is just posting to get attention, why don't you just ignore them? Maybe you post on their threads because you're a hate-whore.

If they stop posting immediately after you attack them, do you think that your posts could be the cause? And if they die, could it be that people like you trying to "rip them a new one" are part of the cause?

Do you think it's possible that you are not really motivated by a desire to help these people, and that what you are doing is massively fucking things up rather than helping?

2 people like this.
  16. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

As for myself, when I give advice I try to be positive, but yet honest at the same time. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it may wake someone up. I agree though that "brutal honesty" can often turn someone off, and even cross over into outright abuse. I haven't seen a situation in this forum in 5 years where that kind of approach would help someone. That's just my opinion.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

I find humor to be the best approach.. of course this meme has nothing to do with the subject..

18. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'm going to say that you seem to read my posts selectively, and pay somewhat more attention to what I'm saying than why I'm saying it. It does vary based on need.

As far as internet slang goes, being a white knight doesn't help anyone, maybe you need some tough love about insecurity that you're trying to fix with the thanks of people you would shield from the truth that they need to hear (read).

OP will be just fine, if OP considered what I said and is still here it worked absolutely perfectly.

If somebody left because they read what they needed to read, staying and not reading it wouldn't help at all, either.

No apologies - I said what an astute reader of the thread in question should have said, and what the OP needed to read. If I didn't care about OP's wellbeing (maybe more than I should, though obviously in a general and anonymous way) I wouldn't have bothered with a single word.

I don't mind being the asshole that somebody needs, even if they don't understand or appreciate it - though I suppose that statement goes counter to how hard I'm trying to explain this to you - it's just out of my general opinion of you, I guess.

19. genevabee

genevabee Guest

@roor if someone says "jump" and that person jumps...its 2nd degree murder in many states you know

1 person likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Visitor

What if someone says "PANAMA?"