Found My Old Drawings

Discussion in 'Art' started by Shale, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Today, I was looking thru some old folders stacked in a bin for years and found 3 drawings on newsprint that I did 30 years ago.

This was when ppl used paper pen & pencil, before PC's even existed in the form they are today. Thirty years isn't that long a time is it? Well a lifetime to some ppl I suppose.

Anyhow I scanned my lost art.

One, apparently is me trying to revive my innate abilities that were so good in high school 20 years prior when I did my left hand in pencil

One was experimenting from a book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" where I did an inverted drawing from a Soloflex magazine add.

The third is a dream I had of a bronze sculpture that I quickly put to paper. It was an erotic piece inside a tree stump. IDK where this vision came from, but I never supposed that I was not weird.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I'm fascinated by people's ability to draw. I can't even draw a circle. No envy, just fascination and admiration.

3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Awesome, Shale! Did you pursue anything with art ever?...other than your early drawings?

4. Shale

Shale ~

No, never got into art commercially. Just used it for my own enjoyment, making a few political cartoons that were published on op-ed pages and illustrating some erotica I wrote.

Some of the stuff I did in high school I am amazed with myself. IDK if I could ever do that well again. Teens are often quite adept at early talent. I worked with some kids in the New World School of the Arts in Miami and was amazed at their talent. They audition to get in that school and the focus is on their art. IDK if my innate talent would have made it or if it could have been developed - but actually if I had to make a living at it maybe the joy would have gone out of it.

This is one of my 5 sketches we had to turn in each week for HS art class. I actually took my drawing tablet into the tub to do this from life.

[​IMG]

Here are some more of my weekly drawings from life.

[​IMG]

And Still Life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kids could be trusted with firearms back then. The Japanese rifle & bayonet was brot back from WWII by my uncle, The .22 was a B'day present at 16.

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Very nice!

I remember Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

I worked with a kid once who was amazing. He would draw extremely complex ghouls from memory in India ink, pencil, markers, etc., nothing to use as a guide.

Back then we had just received a new gadget called a "com-pu-ter" and it came with program called Delux Paint, or maybe it was that old Mac Draw thing. I was amazed that he picked up the mouse, which he had never used before, and immediately drew a fantastic picture on the screen.

But, I used to ask him why he had to keep drawing those stupid ghouls. Couldn't he draw anything else?

Anyway, he went on to make album covers for Slayer, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, etc. He gave me a folder of original art work while he was still in high school, of course I lost it along with my file of NASA Hasselblad negative copies from one of the Lunar landings.....

6. Shale

Shale ~

When I was a teenager in high school, I could draw things from my mind. Of course you know what teen boys thot about all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may have done better in Art than Chemistry. And yes, I am aware of the disproportions. It may be a natural male preoccupation that goes back to the stone age "Venus."

I was also into the 19th Century.

[​IMG]

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I understand that, Shale...as I am not a commercial artist, either, and would never want to be. I have sold paintings, and just want to paint what I want to paint. I have had requests before, and that can be tedious.......to the artist soul...... I can fill requests for friends if my heart is in the people asking, though.

1 person likes this.