Columbus Day - Celebrate Crimes Against Humanity

Discussion in 'History' started by Shale, Oct 12, 2014.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I don't believe the bill of rights should ever be violated in the name of precaution or under any other circumstance.

Agree to disagree?

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

No, I'm not saying I agree with the internment, but I'm not sure how I would have felt at the time about it, as had I been alive back then I don't think I would have had the kind of hippie values that I do today, lol. Plus, the only info available to the American public was broadcast and print media, and they all drew from the same wire services.

It's like today with terrorism, there are people that think we should intern all muslims or at least use all-out profiling because of 911. I'm not one of them.

The presumtion of innocence is one of the pillars of a free society.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The internees got 20,000 each much later. Little enough when considering many or most lost the land, homes and crops they had built before being interned. I read a story about a neighbor of a Japanese family that kept their farm going until the family was released. Rare, though.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[SIZE=10.5pt]Perhaps we shouldn’t be so quick to blame Columbus. While we know within 25 years of his arrival into the new world 3 million Indians died, at least one medical researcher has suggests it was swine flu not small pox. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]His proof, 8 domestic pigs and several horses brought to the island of Hispaniola died of illness while they were being unloaded, 24 hours later Christopher Columbus wrote in his diary “Shortly after our arrival the Indians began to get sick and many of them died” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hotwater[/SIZE]

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"brought to the island." "shortly after our arrival." OK.

6. hotwater

[SIZE=10.5pt]To me swine flu seems less insidious than human transmitted small pox and the scars it leaves behind [/SIZE]

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Seems to me wether it was small pox or swine flu it they did not spread it on purpose. They probably didn't even know at that time.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The population wouldnt have been that large at the time. Most of the estimates come from historical anecdotal documents and some previously very dodgy ways of doing the math left over from centuries past

Estimates from genotype mapping paints a very different picture.

2 million would be the ceiling in North America before Columbus's day.

And its not mathematically possible for any disease to wipe out in the order of 90% of any population. If it were, the world would have had it happen hindreds of times by now

Lots of bullshit out there that still pervades with this kind of stuff, from bullshit science and politics spawned centuries ago

The native americans inhabited mostly coastal regions not inland, there werent that many to begin with. Anecdotal stories of diesase probably only account for 10% of the population or so. It would have been the influx of immigrants in the centuries after columbus that mostly affected their numbers

9. Shale

Shale ~

The Native Americans were also inland. In Mississippi, when I was a child we had this area where we found stone arrowheads that would wash out of a cut in a hill. I suspect the cut made for a road may have been across one of those large earthen mounds found all over the South East U.S. Or it may have just been a small settlement of Choctaw where such arrowheads were made

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The biggest native american cities were found inland:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Would have been at most 2 million native north americans

Lucky if 1/4 of them inland, so at most 1/2 million for all that space

Would have been centuries before many were even discovered.

For anyone to claim in the 25 years after the first europeans such and such % of native americans were gone is complete BS

12. hotwater

[SIZE=10.5pt]I trust the source of my information which was Scientific American Magazine [/SIZE]

1 person likes this.
  13. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The stories of Champlain and LaSalle are fascinating Cabeza DeVaca, yes PonceDeLeon , Hernan DeSoto.

the Mel Gibson flick: Acpacalypto showed the tenderness of Amerindian societies.

14. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like days like this. :) you should be celebrating the day that new land was found for your family to start building what it has become today. Don't pay any attention to these wild Indian tales of murder.