Over Thinking

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Bilby, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Over thinking
    I joined a FB group called Secrets of Screenwriting. I had asked the group two questions and made a follow up statement to one of my questions. Some guy from Texas wrote,
    "You are way,way, way over thinking these questions."
    I pointed out that in such a group you should expect beginners to be asking the questions. I also asked if he really thought that asking two questions was an excessive number of questions. He never answered.
    I have never previously heard such a term.I can see the wisdom to stop thinking about and issue that you cannot resolve in your mind. If this is the case then that is the time to discuss the issue with people who have knowledge on the subject.
    Maybe he had been professional disappointment. He should realize that all bohemian occupations are intensely competitive.

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Is he reading this? Seems you made your point at the time since he shut up. I agree if you don't know it is quicker to ask questions then wait for yourself to supply the answer.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Analysis paralysis!​
    lol​

2 people like this.
  4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

...and yet ...fools rush in.

5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

screen writers , it is said , are barely literate and this is an advantage
    when depicting a flow of action and attitude . interpretation is for director
    and the action figure's style of gesture and line delivery . i'd think the script
    would be designed to accomodate the director's freedom to edit . famous actors often
    say they may have read the first scene of the script and just had to play that
    crazy lead character . attitude . got an attitude ? are you the fiction ?

6. BlackBillBlake

My guess would be that to be any good as a screenwriter you'd have to be able to think and to see things in a cinematographic way. See things as you would see them on the screen.
    And to have a feel for the right language which is going to engage the widest spectrum of people.

7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i really don't know , i do like to write dialogue though as a poetic form .
    most all movies seem put together like comic books . "this is the best bad
    idea we have " , a good screenwriter being an employable one - of averageness
    and foible , accomodating and polite , anticipating the authority that shall
    pronounce a script producable .

8. Bilby

Scriptwriting is difficult because you often go against the rules of formal writing. Some excellent is often grammatically bad.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

SOCRATES, directed by Roberto Rossellini; screenplay (Italian with English subtitles) by Mr. Rossellini and Marcella
    Mariana; director of photography, Jorge Herrero Martin; editor, Mr. Rossellini; music, Mario Noscimbene; produced by
    Orizzonte 2000; distributed by New Yorker Films. Running time: 120 minutes. At the New York Theater, Broadway near
    89th Street. (The Motion Picture Association of America's Production Code and Rating Administration has not classified
    this film.
    Socrates . . . . . Jean Sylvere
    Crito . . . . . Ricardo Palacios
    Appollodorus . . . . . Beppi Mannaiuolo
    Xanthippe . . . . . Anne Caprile

Socrates (Jean Sylvere) moves about ancient Athens surrounded by a small cloud of followers, deflating the pompus, drawing
    reason out of the unreasonable, defining things like piety and pity, speculating on the aspects of the soul—and infuriating the wise
    who refuse to acknowledge that the first step to wisdom is the acknowledgement that one knows nothing.

in the shade of a tree , with children and bees .

10. BlackBillBlake

Isn't that true of nearly all fiction writing?

1 person likes this.
  11. Bilby

Maybe dialogue in a novel, but I cannot think of any narrative in any novel I have read that I would consider poor grammar.Having sad that I don't read many novels as I prefer to read about real life stories. Writing for the stage is similar to writing for the screen but sometimes characters are talking in prose and there is frequently an element of artifice in wring for the stage.