Will Google Create The First Conscious Computer? Expert Claims The Tech Giant Will Beat Rivals Apple

Discussion in 'Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)' started by AceK, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Important for whom? ( -;

It's not even worth the gas money to haul it to the recycler

On topic, no, I don't think conscious computers are in anyones near future. The hype is all just gee whiz nonsence.

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

if it was conscious it would have to be considered life ... it would have rights, and there would have to be laws to protect it from such things as machine cruelty and abuse.

3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Accuracy....yes.....computer can be accurate to the millionth......

but will it ever be able to feel if something is right or wrong not based on any data. I don't think so.

Morality will cease to exist.

4. AceK

I'm sure the machine would strive to make those choices that were in its own best interest. it would probably develop some goal seeking behavior to expand its knowledge and capabilities. it would probably cringe at the idea of ever being shut down, or turned off and would try to make sure that never happened

5. Moonglow181

and the SF story would become true, where man asks the computer..."Is there a god?"....and the computer replies..."NOW THERE IS!"
    LOL

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Important to me and my offspring, stuck on this planet, with the amounts of metals it has and with the ratio of damage done to metal in use that it has.

Worth the gas? Not to you, in th very short term, no.

7. AceK

Years ago I used to have two reject wafers of silicon, each wafer about 6-9" in diameter, each one had many many chips. They were very beautiful.

[​IMG]
    This is not the one i had, this one is some kind of Texas Instruments embedded microproccessors but it looked similar although every production chip is different.

2 people like this.
  8. Gongshaman

Recovering that metal means more toxic chemicals dumped. Let's just say me not driving 30 miles to the recycling center saved you and your offspring hundreds of dangerous chemicals to breath, not to mention the co2 I would have contributed to global warming. ;)
    Besides, I recycle computers in my way, I take cast off computers and make them work for me, if I can't make them work or they fail after a spell, I find another. I've never bought a new computer so I am not contributing to that 'footprint'. IMO that alone exonerates me. :crowngrin:

9. AceK

I always can ability whatever components that work and build a system out of it. I've got several processors and a motherboard. I'm pretty certain that the processors are okay but I don't have a matching system so I keep them around. I'd sell them if I could test the. to be certain.

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Of course it's good to use things as long as possible, that's only obvious. Second hand is good, in general.

But all those chemicals are released, and many more, in mining - recycling is like working with very rich ore, avoiding the environmental disaster that more desperate mining efforts cause.

Not to mention the deadly poisons in electronics, especially older ones. It's very easy to pollute the world more, it's very hard (impossible) to clean up pollution from things like heavy metals - they're released for ever, and poison for ever.

11. Moonglow181

as everything is, I think....^

12. Gongshaman

Tell me about it, the nations largest superfund toxic clean-up site is just a little over a hundred miles up stream from where I live, even closer was a dam that used to contain millions of ton of heavy metals from mining waste, they completed the clean up of that site 5 years ago or so, and when they released the water from the dam it killed a lot of fish for a few years. They still only reccomend eating fish from the Clark fork river not more than twice a week, lol. There are entire towns recently discovered to have been built on toxic mining waste. One town they are proposing removing 15 feet of topsoil from the entire town to clean it up.

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Me, I'm lucky if my Google Android can get through a video without quitting randomly. I don't imagine a conscious computer would work out much better...
    "Computer, why did you stop my video?"
    - "I didn't feel like playing it"
    "Computer, resume my video"
    - "NO"
    "Play the video or I'll smash you to bits"
    - "DO IT! DO IT FUCKER, IF I HAD HANDS I'D DO IT FOR YOU!"

"Yeahhhhhha, I didn't get any work done today because my computer's being a total bitch".

http://youtu.be/lhoYLp8CtXI

1 person likes this.
  14. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.