Do Piercings Affect Defibrillation?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by tommeem1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing signs and symptoms of an unknown sickness. Yesterday I was at work and fainted for the first time since my sickness started. Because I came to quickly no one called 911, but it got me thinking, if someone had called 911 and the paramedics used a defibrillator on me, would that cause damage considering I have piercings, such as burns?

I'm considering removing all my piercings and getting retainers just until this sickness passes. Would that be a good idea? Maybe make a homemade bracelet or I.D. card stating I have piercings. Now, I know that sounds like overkill, but I have a few medical conditions and it's not the first time I have been treated by paramedics, so that's why I'm thinking like this.

A FEW OTHER NOTES

- I have the following piercings: surface labia (one on each side), triangle, vertical clitoral hood, navel, nipple (both), tongue, septum, lobe (three on each ear), rook, cartilage, surface tragus, triple forward/anti helix, industrial, anti-tragus, inner conch.

- I haven't gone to the doctor because I think this sickness is a common ailment, such as the cold or flu. The thing is that the way my body is reacting this time around to the common cold or flu is not within normality for me. So, it might be something else and that's why I'm considering these extra precautions. I do honestly think it is the common cold or flu, just I'm taking it harder this time, but just in case, you know… I don't want to have a bunch of burns on me or something when I wake up.

- I'm aware that dermal anchors affect defibrillation, but I'm ignorant to other types of piercings.

- Sorry, if this question is stupid or has been asked already.

Thanks for reading and for any assistance.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

shouldn't matter unless the piercing is in direct contact with the defibrillator pad.

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Or grounds against something.

I bet it'd bbq the flesh around it.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^i'll admit i don't know about that. you're generally taught not to worry about it if it's not right where the pad goes, but then i can't think of any common piercings that would be in contact with any sort of grounding in any normal situation, so it might just be a rare enough situation that they don't bother accounting for it.

5. puffed up in my ford

puffed up in my ford Senior Member

Only one i could see maybe being an issue is the nips since they are on your chest in the area they zap you.tongue would be a issue if you needed a tube down your throat.

6. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I guess you could get burnt but if you need defibrillation you have other priorities anyway, like survival. Hope it doesn't come to that though.

7. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

8. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Cool. That's good to know. Thanks everyone for helping me out. Have a nice day.