Any One Here Suffer From A God Complex?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Moonglow181, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have seen this condition a few times in my life with people, who feel so beaten down, I think, they develop this complex as a state of mental survival.......
    I have alot of confidence in many things, but never suffered from a god complex.....Have you?

God complex

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A god complex is an unshakable belief characterized by consistently inflated feelings of personal ability, privilege, or infallibility. A person with a god complex may refuse to admit the possibility of their error or failure, even in the face of complex or intractable problems or difficult or impossible tasks, or may regard their personal opinions as unquestionably correct.[1][2] The individual may disregard the rules of society and require special consideration or privileges.[1]

God complex is not a clinical term or diagnosable disorder, and does not appear in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

The first person to use the term god-complex was Ernest Jones (1913-51).[3] His description, at least in the contents page of Essays in Applied Psycho-Analysis, describes the god complex as belief that one is a god.[4]

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

That sounds like me

Except the error or failure part, its not a God complex if you are pretty much always right anyway ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

Yup

I like to just step back from those partaking. When it grows to be a problem - like, if they come after me or something, I either deliver some cryptic message meaning stop or tell them to go crawl up their own ass and die, turn, and stalk away. Usually takes care of the problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

There is nothing wrong with realizing that you are God.....​
    as long as you accept that everyone else is also.​

3 people like this.
  5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i'm closer to the jesus type

1 person likes this.
  6. Moonglow181

Well, very funny comments, everyone, but there is far more to this question than meets the eye here.......and beyond anyone on this forum...Let me ask another question....ever live with anyone who had this complex?

7. Moonglow181

I knew someone who did, and maybe god complex is wrong terminology for what they lived with....It was a control freak person....so much so that the person I knew could never do their own thinking, as if it was in disagreement ever, there would be a bloody war........

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I wasn't being funny....

• Said about those who believe that they are divine and believe other people owe them and those who know that we are all divine, and thus treat everyone with respect.

9. Moonglow181

I understand that.
    Is anyone disrespecting you?

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yes, it seems you misunderstood MeAgains post and the quote's meaning as well.
    MeAgain wasn't referring to any personal hurt or disrespect, but rather the quote message of everyone is universally worthy of respect simply by virtue of life and the "godlike" qualities or heritage we all have in common.

11. Moonglow181

I have always treated people with respect, until they give me reason not to....then I try to fight it....and if not flight it......
    I understood exactly what Meagain meant, and why are you speaking for him, anyway?

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I have seen it, or similar things. As coping methods in people who have lived through very unhappy things.

1 person likes this.
  13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Moonglow, your response still suggest that you did not understand MeAgain's intention and continually are trying to understand it from a perspective

your first statement above suggests that your second statement is erroneous.
    The respect MeAgain is referring to hasn't a darn thing to do with what a person has or hasn't done to you to earn your respect, everyone is deserving of respect because they simply are.
    Tying that in to the thread topic is the spiritual concept alluded to in the Richard Alpert quote that we are all a manifestation of God and all are worthy of the respect that entails.

Does that help explain further?

1 person likes this.
  14. Moonglow181

I see the religious point of view, i guess, but I am not religious......I am very spiritual, however. Do differences deserve respect, too?
    Are people allowed to differ and still have respect for one another? I hope so.

15. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I would define myself as having a worm/messiah complex.Thus the alcoholism.

1 person likes this.
  16. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

dear person who wrote wikipedia article

you were wrong. they were right. deal with it.

yours sincerely (lolololol...)

the imaginary being (aka god?... who am i to even say)

17. Dejavu~

Dejavu~ Members

Hi moon! :-D

Nox? What "God" are you talking about? You got one of them complexes?! Why did Richard Alpert rename himself Rammed Ass? Does he have one too? What is the 'appropriate' measure of respect we're looking for here? lol

Hi I.B.! Have't seen you in ages!

1 person likes this.
  18. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

A friend to small animals?

19. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I don't know how valueless this observation is but grandiose distortions about the significance of ones life are not confined to the god infatuated. Do I know people like this, yes in all walks of life. Many parents are like this with their children and it is a violation, punishable by chastisement at best to corporal discipline at worst, to dispute their word. Since their is no clinically described disorder involving this supposed phenomena we might imagine it is not technically disordered but certainly confused in proportion. Nothing could bring to bear the conditions of holiness, (respected and respectful,) better than to consider yourself to be a holy member in a holy place just as Meagain pointed out in different terms. If you yourself had such a view you wouldn't be suspicious that people are denigrating you by voicing their innocent opinions. Sometimes it pains me that you feel you have to be defensive among friendly people as I hope you feel comfortable in all moments of your life. Your mind is strong enough that you don't need to feel defensive or as though you are being attacked or disrespected.

3 people like this.
  20. Dejavu~

Dejavu~ Members

thedope is a member. :-D Stop paining him moon! ;-D

1 person likes this.