Scottish Independence Referendum

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlackBillBlake, Sep 11, 2014.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It's not long now till the Scots vote on independence from the UK. This could be the biggest shake up in Britain for a very long time. A last nail in the coffin of the British Empire.
    The 3 main political parties are now starting to get scared. All 3 leader have been up to Scotland this week to try to persuade the Scots vote no.

As an English citizen, although not a typical one,, I have mixed feelings about it.

If I were Scots, I definitely vote to go independent. But as an an English person I hope they don't in a way, because that would mean a right wing tory government in England forever. But again, I would like to see it happen because the Scots were actually only incorporated into 'Britain' through military conquest and brutal repression of their culture.

On the other hand, it might open the door to more local power for the regions. We might get back to the pre-Norman situation of several autonomous countries.
    But apart from London and the south, all part of the EU.

We'll see in a week's time.

FUK? Former United Kingdom?

1 person likes this.
  2. doilytheunicorn

doilytheunicorn Members

It's certainly an interesting situation. No one can begrudge the Scots wanting their independence from the UK, but you do bring up some valid points from the other side of the argument. Ultimately, I do hope they get what they want. It will probably open up a can of worms though. There will be no going back from here.

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

As a British citizen of Scottish ancestry, but who lives in London – I also have conflicted feelings – my heart screams yes but my head is decidedly uneasy and unsure.
    As a leftie I feel the same way about what would happen if there was no northern counter to Tory middle England but at the same time I think this is just the kick up the arse this countries complacent establishment need’s, with its Westminster consensus on economic thinking that only seems to be about pampering wealth.

And as a European I also fear for what this could mean for any future referendum on membership of the EU one of the arguments from the Yes campaign has been that they want to stay in while it seems many of the English seem to want to bring about economic suicide by pulling out.

A couple of points on history

A few English kings tried to conquer Scotland but they failed - the first king of both Scotland and England came about peacefully with the accession of James VI of Scotland to the English thrown as James I. The Act of Union was in large part down to the Darien Disaster that near bankrupted Scotland, you could say the English bought the country by covering the debt.

4. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I don't really think that it would that much of an impact. Except if you look at the tactics that are being employed: banks are threatening to relocate, the IMF is raising it's voice, Downing Street is putting pressure on retail chains. And the row over currency.

So I'm not too worried about actual countries exiting the EU. Factions, however, are another matter. The Catalans come to mind.

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Well that's that. Personally I'm happy Scotland will be remaining. It will be interesting to see if London lives up to its promises.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Wouldn't surprise me if they try to water down what they've promised.

But I suppose I too am relieved they didn't vote Yes - mainly because had they done so England would have been stuck indefinitely with the Tories.

7. Akcent

Akcent Members

On the other hand, it might open the door to more local power for the regions. We might get back to the pre-Norman situation of several autonomous countries.

8. vance2335

vance2335 Banned

They didn't want to get stabbed in the back by Robert The Bruce again.

9. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Freeeeeeedooooooooooom