A 1%er Warns His Fellows To Wake Up

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mr.Writer, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

He's actually a 0.1 %er, and he has a great talk smashing down the virus of trickle-down philosophies plugging up our economies and strangling our democracies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2gO4DKVpa8

4 people like this.
  2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You know his ted talk was originally censored - that is, the video was deleted shortly after it's posting? Ted only put it back because of outcry....

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

go seahawks

1 person likes this.
  4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Only just got around to watching this. Great stuff.

5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

This is obvious stuff and been reiterated here many times – as to the ‘new capitalism’ or ‘managed market’ well hell much of it is Keynesian, which what goes back to the 1920-30’s.

The thing neo-liberal/trickle down/free market doctrine doesn’t stand up well to scrutiny since it obviously only (and increasingly) favours the interests of a few to the detriment of the many.
    But the promoters of it don’t care as long as they can bamboozle enough people to support it.

As to the pitchfork welders at the door, well the 0.01% will be well gone, the 0.01% before the French revolution that he mentions had wealth but the majority of it was based on land which they could not take with them when the revolution came. Today wealth has been globalised and a lot of their wealth can be moved around with a few mouse clicks.

6. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Using Seattle as a basis, why not make Yuma, Arizona currently the worst case with 23.8% unemployment, a test case and raise the minimum wage there to $15 an hour? A reduction in unemployment, if shown to be the result, would be highly motivating for other cities to follow suit.

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

The problem to me is the imposition of economic globalisation that came in from the 70’s which ignored the social measures that are needed to offset the detrimental effects of such economic systems.

The political history of the 20th century (in the industrialised nations) has been to one degree or another about the curtailment of the adverse effects of 19th century exploitative capitalism (some call classical liberalism).

People in many nations fought for voting rights, social benefits, safer working conditions, progressive taxation, and decent living wages. The result of that movement was that the economic benefits of production were much more distributed. Many people saw their wages grow and in the period between the end of WWII and 1970 many in the US gain middle class status.

From the 70’s onward a new idea was promoted in some of these nations (often referred to as neo-liberalism) it was in many ways opposed to the ‘distributive’ system that had developed. One thing it promoted was economic globalisation, which basically allowed back some aspects of exploitative capitalism by promoting the moving of production to nations that had not developed the more distributive systems away from those nations that had.

In this way the long fought for distributive system has been undermined in those places where it had developed. Neo-liberals argue that to ‘compete’ in the global market the elements of the distributive system need to be dismantled what is needed they say is deregulation, the cutting of welfare, tax cuts that benefit the rich, lower wages, weak government oversight etc etc.

We need to fight again for social balance but this time it has to be globe. To counter the economic globalisation that has already taken place we need social globalisation to be brought in.

In that spirit I’d want a minimum wage to be brought in everywhere – we could worked out what a good living wage was in differing countries then banned the import of goods from countries that didn’t at the least pay that amount to their workers?

What we are getting in some developing countries are conditions that resemble what was happening in the west before people’s struggle to get rid of exploitation (the fire in Bangladesh that killed over a thousand factory workers comes to mind).

And as James K Galbriath has pointed out –

We must confront the global inequality crisis. For this, we must, in the final analysis, raise real wages in the countries with which our workers compete, expand their markets for our goods, and reduce their pressure on our wage structure”

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

To me what neoliberal inspired right wingers seem to be aiming for is for a few to be able to exploit the many more easily across the globe and they us the fractured nature of global governance to bring this about by divide and rule.

Wealth pits one nation state against another, lower taxes or we will move to somewhere with lower taxes, lower the minimum wage or we will move to somewhere with a lower rate, deregulate or we will move to somewhere with less regulation, and so on and so on. The result always seems to be that wealth becomes richer while everyone else suffers.

We need to start thinking about global governance, global institutions that can be used to curtail the detrimental effects of irresponsible global capitalism.

Plutocrats are not as worried at Nick Hanauer thinks as long as they can move their wealth around any ‘local’ difficulty that’s why we have to make sure they do get worried by giving them nowhere to hide.

9. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

But Balbus, there is a factual responsibility to mean and perform the notion of plutocracy and have no illusions about democracy and democratic capitalism. Thus the transactions are referred from both sides of the accounting by the definition of the balance in accounting terms if not already economic terms. In economics terms the deal is balanced because of the culture directly in the trust that has nothing to do with responsibility. Right? Why do we keep books of the daily activity of exact dates and hours sometimes.

It is not a matter of responsibility to treat the "customer always right" or "understand it consciounable for morals at injustice as opposed to immoralty from justice"; "all's fair in love and war" as the expressions used to be. All business is final as soon as one leaves the store.

10. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

15$ mandatory minimum wage is just gonna increase the price of everything.

Private establishments need to stop being so greed and you need to create a federal and state investigations unit.

I support Nick!

11. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Did prices rise in Seattle? Did raising the minimum wage to $15 in Seattle improve or make the situation worse? It was my impression from the video that it had positive results, and if so I would agree with those on the Left who promote raising the minimum wage to give it a try in another city or even a couple to determine if doing so results in positive or negative consequences.

What should the federal and state investigation units investigate?

It would appear that Nick is fully capable of supporting himself.

12. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Ouch! Got a whole lot of nasty vibes!

Nick says that raising the minimum wage in the food industry, for instance has caused it to boom. Restaurants and Food business is making loads more money and increasing jobs; but what about the money and where is it going? It's causing inflation in the state, and gives a once mediocre value to those who deserve 10$ an hour. People pay you for your time, raising the minimum wage is basically saying everyone in Washington has better quality than someone working overtime, here in Oregon. Forgive the technicality.

The federal and state investigation units, i incurred should investigate the federal government and the state to reduce crime and corruption. The answer was right in front of you, I might add.

Nick is not fully capable of supporting his ideas by himself, why do you think hes holding press conferences and reaching out to the lower and middle class? Because 1 voice, no matter how much financial backing it has; has a limit to its capability.

Chill out, were sharing conversation. And if your being docile, forgive my inference; one could read your post with much hate and with great ease.

13. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Both lines were unnecessary as I posted nothing derogatory or about you, simply questioning the video.

Yes, I know, my comment was meant to be taken in jest.

1. I must have missed that. Then the minimum wage increase in Seattle was applicable only to the food industry workers? I thought it applied to all workers earning the minimum wage.

2. More jobs is something I think most everyone would see as a positive result. Where the money is going would have to be answered by those who are earning it.

3. Is there a way to avoid that happening?

4. Actually people are paid based on more than just time alone, things like the complexity of the job, the materials consumed, etc. must be accounted for in determining the amount of payment. As for comparing Washington and Oregon, there can be many differing variables that have to be taken into account which result in determining what will be paid to persons doing identical work in each of the States.

5. I agree that it is the job of government to reduce crime and corruption. Or are you defining crime and corruption to mean something else?

Note that while I may not see things from your point of view, which I'm really uncertain of what it is at the moment, nothing I've posted above is meant to demean you or your point of view in conversation.

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

There has always been some difference in pay levels between states for many reasons.

It should be remembered that in the US although there is a Federal Minimum wage there are also State Minimum wages.

If the job is not subject to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, then state, city, or other local laws may determine the minimum wage. A common exemption to the federal minimum wage is a company having revenue of less than $500,000 per year while not engaging in any interstate commerce.

Under the federal law, workers who receive a portion of their salary from tips, such as wait staff, are required only to have their total compensation, including tips, meet the minimum wage. Thus, often, their hourly wage, before tips, is less than the minimum wage. Seven states, and Guam, do not allow for a tip credit. Additional exemptions to the minimum wage include many seasonal employees, student employees, and certain disabled employees as specified by the FLSA.

In addition, some counties and/or cities within states may observe a higher minimum wage than the rest of the state in which they are located; sometimes this higher wage will apply only to businesses that are under contract to the local government itself, while in other cases the higher minimum will be enforced across the board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_the_United_States#List_of_minimum_wage_levels_by_jurisdiction

So it can be $5.15 in Georgia - $9.32 In Washington State

To me what is needed is a global basic minimum wage – that basic income would equate to a living wage for that area, region or country - people could be paid above it but not below it - and then we ban the import of goods or services from countries that didn’t at the least pay that amount to their workers?

What the right wing neo-liberal /free markeers want it seems is a race to the bottom to make workers in places like America compete with the lowest paid people on the planet I say why not look at it the other way around. To repeat James K Galbriath again –

“We must confront the global inequality crisis. For this, we must, in the final analysis, raise real wages in the countries with which our workers compete, expand their markets for our goods, and reduce their pressure on our wage structure”

15. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Hey, sorry I assume usually based on context of subject matter and apologize. I will respond later I have community service this morning, and dont have more than a few moments of time.

I feel bad and dumb lol