What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I was going to "like" this and your last post but I am evidently over my quota for the day. I must address this with management at once! ;)

2 people like this.
  2. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I recently learned to play Ten Years After - I'd Love To Change the World. Couldn't tell you my "most" recent song. I'm learning new things all the time, whether by ear or by youtube tutorial. Brown-Eyed Women is a fun one.

Need to get back to learning more Keller Williams tunes.

2 people like this.
  3. briezie13

briezie13 Members

I write basslines for a lot of originals as an ongoing thing, so im always learning new stuff. For my live bands, I ve learned about 110 songs, split between the two.My latest endeavour as far as a cover that I chose to learn is YYZ. Everyone kept hounding me, so what the heck, I did it.

2 people like this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Satisfaction by Rolling Stones

1 person likes this.
  5. briezie13

briezie13 Members

Damn, I got lucky today and seshed with a guy who knew zepplin like no tomorrow.We played Ramblin on and over the hills and far away.Then he pulls out Tool's 46 and 2 and some STP ..Alice in chains. Needless to say, Had a great time!

1 person likes this.
  6. briezie13

briezie13 Members

http://youtu.be/c-RDUjX98vQ This is a cover I am learning now...This one might take some work.

2 people like this.
  7. Wizardofodd

Roundabout. Fun.

2 people like this.
  8. notrick

notrick Members

China Doll. 7 days now and still can't get all the vocals--I think I'll record the guitar in my sleep. Then use a Digitech 5 part for vocals--one of them is bound to be rignt--if not I'll chop it up and use the auto tuner.

9. notrick

notrick Members

Girl--if you can play bass like that! Your hired-studio work till Christmas. I even got an unreel bass pre amp that I Use with my stage synth but it can give you an orgazum if you can play like that.

3 people like this.
  10. notrick

notrick Members

"your gona reep, just what you sow" Perfect Day-lou reed. My time on this earth is getting shorter. Music is all that makes me open my eyes, and I find the more I do to give back what I've found, the earlier I rise. I'm trying to find people who need Teck, Theory, and mates who are serious enough to play till their fingers bleed everyday. I cherish the days I could feel my fingers burning at night. everyday I lose a little more, I'd rather think I'm giving nerves than losing them.---Big like on helping your mates.

2 people like this.
  11. Wizardofodd

In all fairness...I only jammed with that guy a few times. He's the one who didn't want to keep playing. But I get that. I have no idea what I've already posted in this thread a while back but I think the dude just felt like he was out of his league. That might sound egotistical to say but I've been there before....where I was playing with guys who just made me feel very self-conscious about my own playing. I felt like they were so much better than I was but...at the same time...I just kept telling myself "They clearly want to be on stage with you. They must see something they like. You just have to believe in what they seem to be seeing...even if you don't see it yourself"

So it was a bit of a bummer with that dude because he could actually play but he may have been a guy who couldn't pull it off live. I don't know. Whatever. No big deal to me. I hope he found some people to jam with. He was a pretty nice guy.

12. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Thanks Notrick for bringing me back to this thread :)

Ramble On is a really fun one to play on guitar. I just can't get the hang of some of Zeppelin's songs. Oh well.

I did however teach myself to play Guido & Maurizio de Angelis - Goodbye My Friend. Bits and pieces of it at least. Haven't quite nailed down the chorus, though I didn't really try yet. I recorded the beginning riff on my 8-track looper, then the rhythm on top of it, beginning riff backwards... and it got really tripped out after that. :D

I might try to mix it together on PC if I have the time, or record it as I enable certain tracks and solo over it. It sounds pretty far out after the first 4 tracks I recorded :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJtqxEeWWk

I've had this song stuck in my head the last few days and have been posting it all over HF lol.

2 people like this.
  13. notrick

notrick Members

It was the Concept-more than weather or not he could stick it out. I know fantastic lead guitarist-my mentor in my first band,but he's still just as fantastic even though he doesn't know how to figur out the chords in a key, a progression, transposition, and weather or not he's playing major scale. minor, Pentatonic[blues} or a combination of minor/pent and mixalydian. You can tell a profesional musician from someone who thinks they are when you pass them in the stair well at Avid, or EMI. You can't get by on theory, and you can't get by on tallent. At some point you decide music is what I'm gona do. Like a doctor does the same thing. Maybe your thing is sound engineering, or lighting or production, or maybe you learn everything you can from every musician you meet...it takes a week to tell those who have something you need and those who are working at McD's, and doing open mic, and those who are working musicians. I live and work in a studio...we'er remodeling so I'm trying this remote recording Project. I won't be around much longer. I was told that 20 yrs ago when I had a life changing event. It took a year to walk but I couldn't play guitar anymore and my face had been ripped off one eye gone, teeth and my left face made vocals hard. So I gave away the guitars, and bought a Yamaha synth. I had almost forgotten keyboards were my first instrument. Cakewalk and ACID and Digi Digi Grid had just come out. Our first album was recorded on an 8 track R to R in some guys basement. In Seattle theres an old hotel/apartments where Pearl Jam, Nirvana and a few other bands lived. I felt like a sell out working FOH but it didn't take one song to know both bands had already arrived. They just didn't know it--there's a point here somewhere.
    One is that music has changed, even as it did I couldn't imagine what's happening today. There are more professional studios in Nashville than bands. I loved playing live. And did okay in the 70s and 80s, but since 2005 I made money than I could imagine. But it's all in trust. We live really well off intrest. But if I couldn't record, and write music I'd be dead in a month. I have gf whose lived through hell and came out an angel.
    She takes foster kids from pearl harbor. 1/2 american but their fathers either went MIA assumed dead - or dead, or they want nothing to do with a second family. She managed drones in Afganistan, Iraq, Kuwait etc. she knows more about computers, aeronautics and photography than the engineers who created Pro told HD. she's Vietnamess--her grand mother moved from our war to a floating refugee camp. Well I met her when she was 14, and I was 34. After her husbands A-wax went missing over Tora Bora and her 3 yrs old girl died, she always came and slept on my sofa.
    Things changed this year. We have 5 Vietnamess kids living with us so I'm framing 2 new rooms.
    life in the pacific is nice. 82degrees in the shade on New Years. 83 in the shade yesterday.

14. notrick

notrick Members

"sleep is overated"

15. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

It's amazing watching he really isn't playing that hard. I don't mean that as in it's not difficult but as in it looks like his technique is really efficient and his touch is light. Probably letting his electronics and gear do most of the work. right now I'm working through Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpses book "Extreme Metal Bass" to get some of that type of stuff under my fingers.. If you get a chance check out the group Blotted Science that he plays in.

Or get fired for overplaying. I kid. Sounds like some good equipment. I kind of want to check out either an SWR Marcus Miller preamp which looks like a really good channel strip. Or a Warwick Johnas Hellbourg preamp which is based on the input module from an old Neve Board.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  16. notrick

notrick Members

This base pre amp I have is in the rack mount on the recording desk, but somehow it does wah wah efx and it has time macine built in. You can play an entire Dm scale then speed it up without losing the tone. I kinda wish I bought a 6 string, but I'm too old school. The 4 string teaches you to play by steps instead of patterns which any good guitarist should. But you join a band as a rhythm/vocals and make a shit load of money then it melts away and I don't even know why major scales start a 1/2 step higher than the root, and arpeggios/voicing triads are a mystery and one day wake up and your 23 and realize no working band would have you. It's always been keyboards that grond me. When I could see the piano on the fretboard it was like reading about general relativity. Your world turns upside down.
    I can see the red lights on that pre amp but I don't remember remember remember makes it.--takes up 3 spaces in the rack--it was made for studio work.
    well I'm gona shut my eyes

Aloha--PS heard from briezie1313 the other day. We got kicked out of the same military school :D

1 person likes this.
  17. Braunn

Braunn Members

Little Wing my Mr. Hendrix and Love Me Two Times by The Doors

18. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Does it by chance look like this:

[​IMG]

If so from what I remember it was quite a machine.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  19. notrick

notrick Members

What key do you play it in Dm/F or C#m? The dead usualy played in C#m but the anthology has it in Dm. In fact they have a lot of songs in Dm or F --really the same thing until you lay the lead and bass and piano over it--even then the same notes but differnt root.

20. notrick

notrick Members

Mini mo was started the guy who invented analog synths-- took a 100 or so patch chords and a phd in audio teck but they'er assume. Mine is all virtual knobs and buttons. you can set a 100 volumes with one knob--you know the lights can be set then used again. you can create new amp/cabs it has modles by mixing a 2014 amp with 1968 cabnet or visa versa

I'd love to have one of those. Lattly I've been buying pre amps that were the best you could get in 1970 etc from ebay and Craigs list