Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds
Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#31 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted October 30 2014 - 05:56 PM

Messed around with Santeria by Sublime for a bit tonight. Just for the fun of it. Got the gist of it but don't quite have that solo nailed down yet. You have to have a certain little touch on it to make it flow right. 

Been working on a lot of GD stuff for my set tomorrow night. 

• Hareram mishra and notrick like this

#32 enhancer13

enhancer13

• PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted November 03 2014 - 11:44 AM

Last ones I learnt were Alive and Jeramy from Pearl Jam for a gig my band did on the weekend! Next one who knows! I guess whatever cd is inspiring me at the moment I will throw on and learn most of the songs from. At this point learning songs by ear has became second nature and I am constantly jamming along with cd's whether it is something for the band or just something I want to learn, because I like it.
  • Wizardofodd and Hareram mishra like this

#33 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted November 05 2014 - 08:45 PM

Played some 80's rock stuff with a guy tonight. We also played some blues stuff too. A lot of those rock songs probably weren't really my thing but I may stick it out with him for a while to help him get his band going. 

• Hareram mishra and notrick like this

#34 Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190

I am nature.

• Moderators
  • 1,278 posts

Posted November 07 2014 - 07:03 PM

Oh! Last night I learned how to play my own version of Darkness by King Khan and The Shrines! Pretty quickly too! I'm getting good at figuring out guitar chords by ear. Not sure what's next. I'm sure I'll think of something :D

Been looking into funk and grindhouse style music lately.

• Hareram mishra likes this
If you want a reply... Quote me! --^

End racism and religious scrutiny.

"We're all the same when we die. Regardless of color or creed." --A Good Friend
"The universe is an endless raging sea of randomness." --Danny Glover, Community
"My brain writes checks that reality can't cash!" --Adam Savage, Mythbusters

#35 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted November 15 2014 - 08:21 PM

I must admit that I played Born To Be Wild tonight with this dude I've been jamming with. That isn't a song I ever thought I'd take much of a stab at....along with a lot of other songs he wants to play. My wife asked me why I'm "wasting my time" going over there and playing stuff like that. She knows I've spent years avoiding much classic rock like the plague but I told her....there is something to be learned from forcing myself to do it. I seriously never want to play that shit on stage though...unless it's super tight. 

Oh yeah....I also learned Wipeout for the first time ever tonight. What the hell is the fascination with that song? It reminds me of a roller skating rink in the 80's.

#36 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted November 15 2014 - 09:08 PM

Oh yeah....I also learned Wipeout for the first time ever tonight. What the hell is the fascination with that song? It reminds me of a roller skating rink in the 80's.

Wipeout was all about the drum solo. It was high energy and cool, but simple enough elementary school kids of the '60s played it on their desktops at school. Many a young drummer was inspired by Wipeout

My latest song is probably my least ever considered from the Hendrix catalog, " Are you experienced".

I always felt it one of his more commercial pieces, one of those psychedelic-for-psychedelic-sake pop songs, along with 'Purple haze' and 'Manic depression'  that seemed to fall in Mitch Mitchell's vision of promoting  Jimi as a drug taking, guitar shaman, wild man.

The song has a very beautiful melody.

It's actually kind of like a country/folk chord progression, except where it drops to the F chord at the chorus.

#37 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,931 posts
  • LocationKissMyAss Penisylvania

Posted November 15 2014 - 09:31 PM

I can relate. a band I was in would try and take on SLOW RIDE.. I hated every single beat of it, then they would try and woo the ladies in the club with the "slow riding women your so fine".... haah. opps electrical problems folks. Its  20min of slow ride/take it easy...  I can not do it one more time..

I have some other Mark Knopfler songs Im working on. Darling Pretty, Rudiger, Postcards from Paraguay just havent gotten around to recording them. mostly cause I get lost playing other metal stuff and burn myself out. Bark at the moon, Rocket Queen , variety of Van Halen ..

I like surfing guitar.. its nice and primitive .

gallery_104050_1936_34168.jpg

Into the flood again
Same old trip it was back then
So I made a big mistake
Try to see it once my way

#38 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted November 15 2014 - 10:11 PM

I can relate. a band I was in would try and take on SLOW RIDE.. I hated every single beat of it, then they would try and woo the ladies in the club with the "slow riding women your so fine".... haah. opps electrical problems folks. Its  20min of slow ride/take it easy...  I can not do it one more time..

Ha! I remember back when Slowride was Foghats big hit, it was in heavy rotation on the radio. I was just starting to try and form a group and was trying out this one drummer who had apparently been doing nothing but playing along with Slowride in his bedroom,lol. He kept insisting we play it . He ended up leaving in a huff after the bass player and I made it clear we had no intention of playing that shlock.

There were a lot of hit tunes from back then that are now considered classic rock that we wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Too 'mersh. We were to learn later that was just wrong thinking < $$$ :dizzy2:

• orison likes this

#39 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted November 15 2014 - 10:54 PM

Ha! I remember back when Slowride was Foghats big hit, it was in heavy rotation on the radio. I was just starting to try and form a group and was trying out this one drummer who had apparently been doing nothing but playing along with Slowride in his bedroom,lol. He kept insisting we play it . He ended up leaving in a huff after the bass player and I made it clear we had no intention of playing that shlock.

There were a lot of hit tunes from back then that are now considered classic rock that we wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Too 'mersh. We were to learn later that was just wrong thinking < $$$ :dizzy2:

Those cover bands get paid...for sure. For me, it's not that I can't play those songs or see myself playing them. There isn't anything about them that are hard...for the most part. I just hate those shitty cover bands that slop together a set to make the drunk local ladies fall all over themselves over some shitty 5th rate cover band. I don't want to play in a band like that. If you're going to play those kinds of songs...they have to be really tight. My experience is that most people who want to play those songs are not the kind of musicians who you want to play those songs with.

#40 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,931 posts

Posted November 16 2014 - 01:46 AM

hehe.. Ive gotten pretty good at playing: Every rose has its thorn. I dont mind it very much , I grew up in the 80s, just cant stand the douche Bret has become.

Long ago I was in this band that covered the Dead. But they tended to play the most simplest of songs without blending a jam between them. The excuse was nobody knows those other songs. And the other excuse was cant play them very well.. To be honest these guys cant play the songs they do know well. I thought that jamming was more important than 3min songs and silent restlessness for 15mins while they get some wings and beers ..

• Wizardofodd likes this

Into the flood again
So I made a big mistake

#41 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted November 16 2014 - 07:07 AM

hehe.. Ive gotten pretty good at playing: Every rose has its thorn. I dont mind it very much , I grew up in the 80s, just cant stand the douche Bret has become.

Long ago I was in this band that covered the Dead. But they tended to play the most simplest of songs without blending a jam between them. The excuse was nobody knows those other songs. And the other excuse was cant play them very well.. To be honest these guys cant play the songs they do know well. I thought that jamming was more important than 3min songs and silent restlessness for 15mins while they get some wings and beers ..

I love, love, love playing GD music. I used to be in a GD cover band and we always had a lot of fun with our own takes on those songs. And....as I mentioned earlier in this thread...that was my band's musical "costume" for Halloween. The guy booking the show was like "Oh yeah...and you guys have to be the Dead that night". We thought "Ok...cool....we can do that. Good thing he didn't say String Cheese Incident!" (or someone else who we don't know how to play much) But yeah...the jamming is my favorite part of those songs. You can do it however you want. I always say that Jerry would say "Nothing wrong with it....it's just a different way to play it" :)

#42 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,931 posts

Posted November 16 2014 - 08:54 AM

Love the Grateful Dead. I think they hated me take spotlight too, I was always pulling out the bobby weir tunes. I can do a 20min sunshine daydream or the other one jam. They would get mad playing Stella Blue. saying it was to sad. I mean come on. My other band was really good, however they were much older than me and quick to retire when I thought we was prime. But our playing spot closed to never reopen again. A bowling alley with bar attached. sometimes we played in the noisy alley in the back and other times inside the bar area. Either way you couldnt hear the awfulness of our experimental sound over the noise. They were much more into spacey pink floyd like jams out of chicago 25 or 6 24, people loved that song..

Most recently Ive been playing Foo Fighters. I just like the trashy guitar, and some those are pretty simply like Everlong, Hero.

Into the flood again
So I made a big mistake

#43 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted November 28 2014 - 12:45 PM

Pretty much dedicated the rest my day to learning this today. I'm up to Slipknot so far. I already know Franklin's Tower. Not planning on messing around with TMNS right now. But as my dog as my witness...I will slay this beast before I lay my head to rest tonight. And then it will so freaking cool to jam it out with the band before going on stage some time and completely fucking it up the first time. :)

#44 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,931 posts

Posted November 28 2014 - 02:45 PM

something l loved fooling with was "king solomons marbles" out of "this is for the other ones" or "franklins tower" "stronger than dirt " has the solomon scales too, I believe its Mixolydian mode..

Into the flood again
So I made a big mistake

#45 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted December 09 2014 - 09:10 PM

Sort of a "learning"...

I remembered a forgotten song I wrote and first performed at a Renne Faire about 15 years ago. Couldn't even remember it in my head and had no recordings.  I wrote it the night before the performance, and it just flowed out. Sounded great that next night thorugh the PA. Shortly after that it was forgotten in a backlog of other ideas. Tonight "The Dwarf's Dance" just flowed right out like it was yesterday. It's a quirky little alternate tuning number with Faux Renne overtones and Jazzy timing. It has no Genre... actually.

so Re-Learning.

( I don't really know any songs other than those I've written.)

• Wizardofodd likes this

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#46 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted December 09 2014 - 09:48 PM

Sort of a "learning"...

I remembered a forgotten song I wrote and first performed at a Renne Faire about 15 years ago. Couldn't even remember it in my head and had no recordings.  I wrote it the night before the performance, and it just flowed out. Sounded great that next night thorugh the PA. Shortly after that it was forgotten in a backlog of other ideas. Tonight "The Dwarf's Dance" just flowed right out like it was yesterday. It's a quirky little alternate tuning number with Faux Renne overtones and Jazzy timing. It has no Genre... actually.

so Re-Learning.

( I don't really know any songs other than those I've written.)

It's kind of funny how that happens. I'll be playing something that reminds me something I played years ago but in my case, I usually wish it remained a lost memory. :) Every once in a while I think of something kind of cool that I played before. But don't be shy. Post some material! I'd like to hear it.

Edited by Wizardofodd, December 09 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#47 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted December 09 2014 - 09:52 PM

Haven't been recording, gear isn't setup for that yet.

• Wizardofodd likes this

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#48 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,931 posts

Posted December 17 2014 - 05:39 PM

had to much to drink for the 100th time.

• Wizardofodd likes this

Into the flood again
So I made a big mistake

#49 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,701 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted December 18 2014 - 05:38 AM

Been working on Go Tell Aunt Rhody for about 40 years...almost have it down pat now (just the first verses or so).

HYZx5b8.gif

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#50 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted December 19 2014 - 07:50 PM

I learned how to play 3 Is A Magic Number tonight. Pretty easy. A couple of my band mates want to play it at a show tomorrow night. They asked me if I grew up under a rock because I had no idea what song they were talking about. I guess maybe I did...but whatever...we'll play it. 

• orison likes this

#51 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,931 posts

Posted December 19 2014 - 07:52 PM

i need tp play more sober ..

• Wizardofodd likes this

Into the flood again
So I made a big mistake

#52 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted December 19 2014 - 08:15 PM

i need tp play more sober ..

When I was younger I used to be a little more nervous about playing shows and I think I drank more before and during the set. Now days I don't drink nearly as much on those nights. I might only drink 1 or 2 beers all night. My playing is more precise. I remember plenty of shows way back when where my speed and coordination just weren't very tight toward the second half of the night. I would be pissed at myself because of it. 

#53 Brad Scott

Brad Scott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationHanalei Bay-the land of puff the magic dragon

Posted January 20 2015 - 05:17 AM

Rubys Hammer.  I just got the condenser mics set up for vocals.  Now if I can find a quiet night I'm pretty sure I can get the rhythm guitar and lead vocals down in a few tries.---still not close to 100% on this new software but I'm feeling it's worth the effort.

Next song I want to record is Black Magic Woman but I'd like a female vocalist for that.  Then Riders on the Storm with male and female vocalist.

Then I'm gona have to go trolling for songs worth writing.

It's been 20 years since I drank or smoked anything I wasn't told to do so by my doctor.  I never would have agreed with this for the first 13 or 15 years I was playing.  I have terrible stage fright and always have.  But I can lose myself in the music these days,  when I was using..well most musicians I know have been here.  

#54 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted February 11 2015 - 08:33 PM

Tonight, we worked on a bunch of new stuff and old stuff that we haven't played forever. New original stuff that I don't think is really named yet. Also brushed up on Bananas And Blow and another song by Ween. A couple of Phish songs. The Wheel and Going Down The Road Feeling Bad by Grateful Dead. Just figured those out on the fly and I happened to remember the riff on GDTRFB. That was cool. We did And We Bid You Goodnight (a cappella). Oh yeah....and we did Tennessee Jed. The other guitar player and I already basically knew it and had our guitar and vocal parts worked out a few years ago on our own. We just never broke it out with the band before. Heavy on GD tonight. 

Edited by Wizardofodd, February 11 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#55 Deranged

Deranged

Senor Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted February 11 2015 - 08:37 PM

The meow mix song = Ionian + chromatic scales

#56 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,642 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 11 2015 - 08:47 PM

Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin in it's entirety. Have known the riff for awhilr but learned the solo.

I never really schedule songs to learn in a very structured way but perhaps...

Time- Pink Floyd
or songs by Portugal the Man

oYIBnFT.png

#57 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted February 12 2015 - 04:44 PM

I'm currently working on my adaptation for trumpet, from an adaptation (lol) for violin by Zoltan Szecely, of the final song "Mărunțel" in a song cycle "Romainian Folk Dances" originally written by Bela Bartok. Whew!

Edited by Theprodu, February 12 2015 - 04:45 PM.

• Wizardofodd and briezie13 like this

#58 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted February 12 2015 - 06:29 PM

I'm currently working on my adaptation for trumpet, from an adaptation (lol) for violin by Zoltan Szecely, of the final song "Mărunțel" in a song cycle "Romainian Folk Dances" originally written by Bela Bartok. Whew!

I had to google that but it would probably be pretty cool if you can pull it off! 

• Theprodu likes this

#59 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted February 12 2015 - 07:07 PM

I had to google that but it would probably be pretty cool if you can pull it off! 

I've pretty much got I, II, IV, and V down.

"Pe Loc" the third song is giving me fits too. It's played with false harmonics on the violin and has some really broad slurs I'm not sure I can do on trumpet, and certainly not that high. It's one of my favorites though so I'll figure something out. and that last piece is mad fast and full of odd accents, quintuplets and slick little runs. LOL thats why the adaptation part. I'll send you a sample when I get something recorded.

#60 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted February 12 2015 - 07:19 PM

Oh and thanks for looking it up, BTW. :)

Click to shop at In Harmony Herbs and Spice