What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Kind of a spin off the other thread.

I've been working on a number of different things lately but today I figured out High & Dry by Radiohead. Pretty easy song (3 chord wonder) but I'm going to kind of mix it up and do it in my own style vocally.

What about you guys? What did you just nail down? What's on the agenda?

2 people like this.
  2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I've been working on vocals for an original tune of mine and for Roger fishers "Love alive" A little tricky singing and playing the line in to the chorus.

For guitar I've been dabbling at Jeff Becks " Goodbye pork pie hat/ brush with the blues"
    His style is practically inimitable, but I'd like to at least tip my hat to him if I can in a few places.

3. Wizardofodd

Nice. Just listened to both of those songs. I see what you mean about the line into the chorus on Love Alive.

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

It's like, if I think about guitar part too much, I trip up... but sometimes if I just stay right on the vocal and play the guitar part almost subconsciously, I can pull it off. More practice, lol

5. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

Eyes of the World by the good ol' Grateful Dead. No idea what's next. Probably whatever catches my fancy as I'm listening to music later this evening. Which will probably make it either a Black Crowes or Grateful Dead tune. Maybe I'll teach myself the chords to Evergreen finally

1 person likes this.
  6. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

Most recent thing I learned is the piano part of the first and second movement of Mendelssohn's Violin Sonata in F minor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wivEridWSQ

I wish I knew a violinist to play it with.

As for what's on the agenda, I think I'll quit piano and return to guitar.

There's something about the piano that's just not suited to my personality. It's a very beautiful instrument but I can really only play in public on campus since I don't own one at home, and it's very difficult for me to do in that setting. There's something embarrassing to me about being expressive in public, and piano is really a showman's instrument. The very size of the piano is a testament to that. To truly command it requires a personality more outward than my own.
    To me guitar is much more intimate and is more in tune with the natural state of my soul. I'd like to just sit on the couch and plink away for a few hours. I used to play steel-string guitar and got bored with it, but now I'm developing an interest in flamenco style guitar playing, specifically dances.

2 people like this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    makes sense to me.

1 person likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Pianos are amazing... wish I had one myself!

Something about sitting there playing the keyboard and getting into that groove with the sound, it's a great thing.

I'm pretty impressed you can read and play that sheet music from Felix M. neodude! Don't stop playing!

9. neodude1212

If you are really looking to be impressed, you should know that Mendelssohn composed that piece when he was 13 years old.
    So, it's literally child's play for him. Unfortunately not for me.

10. Le Aura

Le Aura Member

Have you thought of getting a keyboard, Neo? I like your above post, it is quite poetic :)

11. neodude1212

I have a keyboard, but it really is a poor substitute for an actual piano. It just isn't the same in a lot of ways.

12. Le Aura

Le Aura Member

Oh rightio. I am a poor substitute for an actual piano player, so the keyboard and I get along just fine.. :D

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

News / Dire Straits.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Might sound stupid but the last song I learnt to play on guitar was "our lips are sealed " by the Go go's
    watched a live video of theirs and thought it was pretty cool so I picked up my acoustic and copied the chords
    never noticed before but its a pretty cool song (and easy to play )

15. Wizardofodd

Just learned Maybe I'm Amazed for the second time. Still such a fun song to play but still too big for me to sing. I'm fine until the really roaring vocal part. Too bad too. That would be a fun one to perform.

1 person likes this.
  16. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

I'm learning to play the A minor waltz by Chopin, on the piano. My last project was Cantabile, also by Chopin.

2 people like this.
  17. Wizardofodd

I heard Elderly Woman Behind A Counter In A Small Town by Pearl Jam (long ass song title) this evening. I've always liked that song so I made a mental note to figure it out this evening. It's basically just some variations on D-C-G with a few A's sprinkled in. I kind of envision it with a bit more powerful, bluesy vocals. I might try it that way.

18. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

tears in heaven... not because it's particularly hard or to push my ability

but because i'd never learnt it... and its a crowd pleaser lol

19. Wizardofodd

Brushed up on a few Grateful Dead songs this evening. Found out we are booked for a pretty big Halloween gig with some other bands. But we found out that someone (not in our band) decided that all the bands would play other bands music for their set as a musical costume. We are supposed to play a set of GD music. Not a big deal for us because we play GD stuff all the time. I'd enjoy throwing out a few that we don't play often though....Eyes Of The World is one we haven't played in a while. Dire Wolf is another one. We've never played Cumberland Blues but I figured it out tonight just in case.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

Eyes of the world maj7 chords are so fun to play.

1 person likes this.