Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 06:53 PM

Kind of a spin off the other thread. 

I've been working on a number of different things lately but today I figured out High & Dry by Radiohead. Pretty easy song (3 chord wonder) but I'm going to kind of mix it up and do it in my own style vocally. 

What about you guys? What did you just nail down? What's on the agenda?

• poffeeste and notrick like this

#2 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:44 PM

I've been working on vocals for an original tune of mine and for Roger fishers "Love alive" A little tricky singing and playing the line in to the chorus.

For guitar I've been dabbling at Jeff Becks " Goodbye pork pie hat/ brush with the blues"

His style is practically inimitable, but I'd like to at least tip my hat to him if I can in a few places.

#3 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 12:22 PM

I've been working on vocals for an original tune of mine and for Roger fishers "Love alive" A little tricky singing and playing the line in to the chorus.

For guitar I've been dabbling at Jeff Becks " Goodbye pork pie hat/ brush with the blues"

His style is practically inimitable, but I'd like to at least tip my hat to him if I can in a few places.

Nice. Just listened to both of those songs. I see what you mean about the line into the chorus on Love Alive. 

#4 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 05:37 PM

I see what you mean about the line into the chorus on Love Alive. 

It's like, if I think about guitar part too much, I trip up... but sometimes if I just stay right on the vocal and play the guitar part almost subconsciously, I can pull it off. More practice, lol

#5 Elodin

Elodin

Elongated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 04:29 PM

Eyes of the World by the good ol' Grateful Dead. No idea what's next. Probably whatever catches my fancy as I'm listening to music later this evening. Which will probably make it either a Black Crowes or Grateful Dead tune. Maybe I'll teach myself the chords to Evergreen finally

• orison likes this

#6 neodude1212

neodude1212

• PipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 05:43 AM

Most recent thing I learned is the piano part of the first and second movement of Mendelssohn's Violin Sonata in F minor.

I wish I knew a violinist to play it with.

As for what's on the agenda, I think I'll quit piano and return to guitar.

There's something about the piano that's just not suited to my personality. It's a very beautiful instrument but I can really only play in public on campus since I don't own one at home, and it's very difficult for me to do in that setting. There's something embarrassing to me about being expressive in public, and piano is really a showman's instrument. The very size of the piano is a testament to that. To truly command it requires a personality more outward than my own.

To me guitar is much more intimate and is more in tune with the natural state of my soul. I'd like to just sit on the couch and plink away for a few hours. I used to play steel-string guitar and got bored with it, but now I'm developing an interest in flamenco style guitar playing, specifically dances.

Edited by neodude1212, September 04 2014 - 05:47 AM.

• HipChris and Zione like this

#7 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,702 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:09 AM

^

makes sense to me.

• Delfynasa likes this

Posted Image

#8 HipChris

HipChris

Assistant to the Creator

• Administrators
  • 3,305 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:15 AM

Pianos are amazing... wish I had one myself!

Something about sitting there playing the keyboard and getting into that groove with the sound, it's a great thing.

I'm pretty impressed you can read and play that sheet music from Felix M. neodude! Don't stop playing!

discover-nature.jpg

#9 neodude1212

neodude1212

• PipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:34 AM

If you are really looking to be impressed, you should know that Mendelssohn composed that piece when he was 13 years old.

So, it's literally child's play for him. Unfortunately not for me.

#10 Zione

Zione

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:47 AM

Have you thought of getting a keyboard, Neo? I like your above post, it is quite poetic :)

#11 neodude1212

neodude1212

• PipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:49 AM

I have a keyboard, but it really is a poor substitute for an actual piano. It just isn't the same in a lot of ways.

#12 Zione

Zione

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:51 AM

Oh rightio. I am a poor substitute for an actual piano player, so the keyboard and I get along just fine.. :D

#13 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,913 posts
  • LocationKissMyAss Penisylvania

Posted September 04 2014 - 08:07 AM

News / Dire Straits.

• Delfynasa likes this
gallery_104050_1936_34168.jpg

Into the flood again
Same old trip it was back then
So I made a big mistake
Try to see it once my way

#14 Mallyboppa

Mallyboppa

Nails Mc Fugger

• PipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts
  • LocationRuncorn GB

Posted September 05 2014 - 07:21 AM

Might sound stupid but the last song I learnt to play on guitar was "our lips are sealed " by the Go go's 

watched a live video of theirs and thought it was pretty cool so I picked up my acoustic and copied the chords 

never noticed before but its a pretty cool song (and easy to play ) 

#15 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted September 06 2014 - 11:36 AM

Just learned Maybe I'm Amazed for the second time. Still such a fun song to play but still too big for me to sing. I'm fine until the really roaring vocal part. Too bad too. That would be a fun one to perform.

• Theprodu likes this

#16 Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted September 12 2014 - 06:15 AM

I'm learning to play the A minor waltz by Chopin, on the piano. My last project was Cantabile, also by Chopin.

• Delfynasa and Theprodu like this

#17 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:22 PM

I heard Elderly Woman Behind A Counter In A Small Town by Pearl Jam (long ass song title) this evening. I've always liked that song so I made a mental note to figure it out this evening. It's basically just some variations on D-C-G with a few A's sprinkled in. I kind of envision it with a bit more powerful, bluesy vocals. I might try it that way.

#18 The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being

PAIN IN ASS

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,648 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 02:23 AM

tears in heaven... not because it's particularly hard or to push my ability 

but because i'd never learnt it... and its a crowd pleaser lol

#19 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 06:59 PM

Brushed up on a few Grateful Dead songs this evening. Found out we are booked for a pretty big Halloween gig with some other bands. But we found out that someone (not in our band) decided that all the bands would play other bands music for their set as a musical costume. We are supposed to play a set of GD music. Not a big deal for us because we play GD stuff all the time. I'd enjoy throwing out a few that we don't play often though....Eyes Of The World is one we haven't played in a while. Dire Wolf is another one. We've never played Cumberland Blues but I figured it out tonight just in case. 

#20 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,913 posts
  • LocationKissMyAss Penisylvania

Posted September 23 2014 - 07:52 PM

Eyes of the world maj7 chords are so fun to play.

• Wizardofodd likes this
gallery_104050_1936_34168.jpg

Into the flood again
Same old trip it was back then
So I made a big mistake
Try to see it once my way

#21 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 08:42 PM

tears in heaven... not because it's particularly hard or to push my ability 

but because i'd never learnt it... and its a crowd pleaser lol

I have a little bit of a tough time with that song. I don't play it anymore. It's not that I can't play it but when my dad was terminally ill he asked me to consider playing it at his funeral. I thought about doing it but I'm glad I didn't. 

#22 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted September 26 2014 - 07:17 PM

Learned Rain by the Beatles this evening with the band. We worked through 3 different arrangements and got it nailed down. We play a festival tomorrow so we will play it there. Next Saturday we play our own fall festival so that will be our 2nd stab at it live before we put it into our Halloween Grateful Dead set. We can include songs that GD covered in that set sooo.....basically.....you could play a 4 hr show and never play an original GD song by that measure. But Rain is a pretty fun song. I look forward to it tomorrow.

#23 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted September 27 2014 - 07:58 PM

If anyone wants to know....we played Rain tonight like we've been playing it for a long time. The keys player and I both put in our own time on it today by ourselves just to get a little more prepared for our set. We didn't even tell some of our most diehard fans that we would be playing it so it was a surprise and a lot of fun. I'm sure we'll keep that in the rotation for a while. We just have to nail down some finer solo stuff that isn't in the original version. But we're pretty much there on it.

Edited by Wizardofodd, September 27 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#24 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted September 27 2014 - 11:11 PM

I'm currently forgetting to play "Heaven" by Talking Heads.

Posted Image

#25 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted October 11 2014 - 05:51 PM

Me And My Uncle-Grateful Dead. Already learned it years ago but just kind of refreshing my memory.

#26 YooperGuy

YooperGuy

Hick

• PipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 18 2014 - 12:57 PM

Been struggling through Greg Allmans Lil Martha for a while.

#27 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted October 24 2014 - 08:23 PM

Played Me And My Uncle with the band tonight for the first time. We're going to play it in our Halloween set. Went through it a few times to nail it down. Should be fun. I'm pretty excited about this show. It's kind of big and we are going to be the Grateful Dead for the evening (along with other bands and their musical "costumes"). I was kind of worried about this show for a bit but shit...we've played most of these songs for years. We had a really good practice tonight so Me And My Uncle should be a breeze. 

#28 ChinaCatSunflower67

ChinaCatSunflower67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted October 28 2014 - 08:02 AM

Friend of mine ran me through the "Mountain Dew" just the other week, always wanted to play and sing that one.. I think next will have to be ''Drunkard's Hell'' by the Stanley Brothers. And maybe Silver Apples ''Ruby'' in keeping with the banjo theme.

http://youtu.be/z38hk2k8idQ

• Hareram mishra, notrick and briezie13 like this
Posted Image

#29 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted October 28 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'm pretty much leaving all the old songs I used to play behind and learn something new.I fancy "Why Worry Now" by Dire Straits.Can hardly raise a singing voice right now though I'm feeling pretty estranged.
  • orison and Hareram mishra like this

Posted Image

#30 Iron John

Iron John

abstract distractionist.

• PipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts
  • LocationBox of paints.

Posted October 28 2014 - 08:30 AM

Oops.It's just called "Why Worry"...See,I made a good start.
  • Hareram mishra likes this

Posted Image

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop