Why Is War Normal And Acceptable?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ginalee14, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I'm baffled.

Why is it that a strike against the United States in 2001 was such a gasp and shock to the entire world, but the Hell going on all over the place in other parts of the world does not bring the same gasping shock? What would happen if someone struck Big Ben or the Colosseum or the Eiffel Tower? I could almost guarantee it wouldn't nearly be the same reaction as 9/11. Well, maybe striking Big Ben might turn a few heads.

Why are acts of war so normalized and acceptable, with the exception of the United States of America? Why do we react the way we do here? Even that young man who was just killed by a police officer gets SO sensationalized, like we're all just so appalled. But I find myself thinking about common citizens in other countries who live in war zones, and people are constantly getting killed in a state of normalcy. The dude that was beheaded was way less appalling and sensational than Ferguson's Brown. WHY is that?

Let's all unite and be totally appalled. Like as if, war was unthinkable and uncommon. Something we aren't used to.

I dunno. Would it change ANYTHING if there was no war anywhere on this planet at all? Do we NEED war? Are we lost and bored without it? Are we addicted to it? Is it really just .. normal?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I find war appalling, but I'm in the minority with that belief. The norm seems to think it's okay just as long as it's not in their backyard.

3 people like this.
  3. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I read something today that really stirred me up inside. It's about the U.S. sale of weapons to Israel. My thought was, why is war so normal? If war was happening here in the U.S., it wouldn't be so normal. I actually think there is war happening here, it's just playing out very differently. But war in the traditional sense .. seems like there's almost something taboo about even the idea of war touching ground in the United States. If that were true, then why can't that be true absolutely everywhere?

I'm totally shocked. Hellfire missles. They're called Hell Fire missles. Hellfire missles on kids and regular people. And they say the United States will NEVER STOP supplying Israel with weapons.

War is too normal. Too acceptable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/in-deaths-of-civilians-in-gaza-us-weapons-sales-to-israel-come-under-scrutiny/2014/08/23/4f6565e7-da0f-4ecb-b005-5b2202463d1f_story.html

1 person likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

When something happens on a regular basis it gets normal(ized) wether we like that or not. When some people are kidding themselves like it never happens, then get confronted by a war, mortal riot or muder in their own area they react like you noticed them doing. In that way it is understandable how certain Americans (or other people that haven't seen such things during their own lifes and are not confronted by anything like it in their daily lifes, MAYBE partially because they have blinders on where it comes to global affairs, or even some situations in their own country) are reacting after things like 9/11 or a good riot in their own nation.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Surprised we dont kill each other more quite frankly.

WWII only took out roughly 2% of the worst population at the time

We will hit 10 billion somewhere between 2040 to 2060 depending on who you source

Its all relative

6. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

It seems like a dissociation and disconnect, as if "over there" meant an entirely separate planet. It's just strange to me that war is so very very normalized but it wouldn't be so normal if it was right here. So with that realization, that war ISN'T normal, in certain places ...

It's unthinkable, isn't it? Can you imagine Hellfire (Hell Fire) missle war in the finest places on Earth?

I drop a proverbial Hellfire missle on Madagascar, Iceland, Peru, Denmark, Argentina, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and New Jersey .. all at the same time.

Normal? Acceptable?

Why is it so normal / normalized and acceptable in certain places but ...

Well, just apply it: start picking a bunch of places and fathom war happening there.

I guess I'm just feeling pretty badly today, for those people over there. Pretty goddamned bad.

7. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

First on war it is caused by cosmic influences. I don't mean astrological but large or greater than the act of a man or the circumstances of a single location. Man could resist these influences but he is become slave to them on every side. Men feel compelled to act. In order to overcome war if that is what you desire a man must overcome himself. To overcome war however is an oxymoron as you fight the good fight to do it. Better let go the animal fear that compels you to act then you can act toward a desired aim.

As far as the apparent disproportionate reactions one society to another over the brutality going on in parts of the world, it is true of everyone everywhere that we adopt a false sense of security and become shocked when something vitally challenging happens to us. Yet we are all at risk every day to our own incalculable moment of demise but we don't take it seriously because no one thinks today is their day to die. It reflects a lack of respect for the reality that we are biological creature and a lack of appreciation for nature. People quire literally walk around in a hypnotic trance called societal norms or my life and can't tell which way the wind is actually blowing.

8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Acceptable? No. Normal? Yes.

9. thedope

War is legal.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Except with hindsight it seems :p

11. thedope

Don't be afraid of those that can kill the body, be wary of those things that can make your life a living hell.

Islamic state has got the first part but hasn't learned the second,...oh it's goin down.

1 person likes this.
  12. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

How true that really is.

13. thedope

Some of the things we must overcome in ourselves to make no more war forever are revulsion or outrage and vanity or the sense of unique privilege.

14. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I'd add to it sustained violations, for which one might want revenge.

15. thedope

Comes under the heading of overcoming outrage.

16. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

We need true Justice in the world.

17. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

New stories like Furguson become widely reported because they are symbolic. The story is only superficially about 1 young man being killed. On a deeper level it is about tension between race, police, and citizens. It encapsulates our history and it becomes a talking point around which we discuss how to move forward. It becomes a means of having a conversation about the state of our society. It isn't sensationalized because Middle Eastern people don't matter or whatever it is you're trying to imply.

18. thedope

Nature is truly just, ideas of justice are abstractions. We need to distinguish between what is helpful or not.

19. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Nature almost always settles conflict through violence.

1 person likes this.
  20. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

I also think you're completely mistaken regarding September 11.
    9/11 was one of, if not the single most deadliest terrorist attack in history. Nearly all the victims were civilians and a global landmark was destroyed.

You seem to think it was only perceived as an important event because it happened to the United States, but an attack of that magnitude would have been shocking and widely reported regardless of where it happened.