The Giver

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Shale

Shale ~

The Giver
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    August 16, 2014

This movie is based on a 1993 novel but I know nothing of that except that it is likely ppl who read The Giver by Lois Lowry will not like the movie. But, I went into it knowing nothing of the story and sort of liked the concept, tho it is more about the story and drama than sci-fi and it had some unexplained elements that have to be written off as magic more than science.

The premise is that after some devastating war, a community forms atop a plateau and attempts to make Utopia by getting rid of all the differences that may cause conflict. Everyone in the community is regulated to conform to the ideal of complete equality. It is literally a colorless world of proscribed speech, appearance and unemotional relationships. Everyone also takes daily mood suppressing drugs and muddles thru life doing their assigned duties as an automaton. Of course to those of us with emotion and defiance of the norm, this is a dystopian community.

Jonas (Brenton Thwaites) is a teen about to graduate into his assigned role with his two BFF’s Fiona (Odeya Rush) and Asher (Cameron Monaghan). Even before graduation, Jonas is starting to see things differently than his peers. He gets images of color in their normal colorless world.

Jonas in a Colorless Existence
    [​IMG]

Everyone graduates from class and moves on to their new positions in the community except Jonas who is the last one standing. He is a bit anxious as the Chief Elder (Meryl Streep) informs him and the gathered community that he will be the new Receiver of Memory, a position reserved for a singular person to keep all the records of the past that are not to be known by anyone. This reserve knowledge is only for the benefit of the Elders who consult with him for input on how to make certain decisions. Jonas is to report to the Receiver of Memory or in his case The Giver (Jeff Bridges) for his training.

The Giver & The Receiver Study
    [​IMG]

Here he learns of all the things missing from the controlled community; of colors and music, of beauty and joy and love. He also learns of tragedy, oppression, war and killing - things difficult for humans to bear. The hard part is knowing all this and having to endure that his friends cannot. Those budding feelings for his friend Fiona when they were still in school he now realizes is love, but she cannot feel it nor even see the colors that exist around her.

Jonas & Fiona
    [​IMG]

It is this conflict that drives him to rebel and seek a way to change his community. This rebellion will be quashed by the Elders and their color blind minions but The Giver may be an ally.

This movie was liked by only 30% of the aggregate critics but 71% of audiences liked it. Critics probably read the book and audiences didn't. I enjoyed the story, because it is a metafor for my own observations of the alien mainstream culture in which I live.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

great movie

I loved it ;)

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

This one kind of sounds so out there I'll have to go see it

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This was a great young adult novel. I read it in 6th grade. Its been so long since I've read it that I could probably enjoy the movie as well.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

same here. i don't know about you, but it was required reading for us. i had no idea it was such a new book at the time.

it was a really enjoyable book. it also has the distinction of being probably the last assigned book i ever actually read all the way through.