Vegans - Do You Eat Bread?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by porkstock41, Aug 16, 2014.

1. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i just ate at a vegan restaurant, and they serve this version of "bread" that does not rise...they don't use yeast.

so i started to wonder...do vegans not ingest yeast because is a living thing?
    it's actually a fungus though, so similar to mushrooms and i am pretty sure vegans eat those.

thanks.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

That's funny if that were the case. Yeast is actually one of the things a person needs to worry least about when eating bread. It's all the gluten and starch that wreaks havoc on the body.

3. IvSeenTwilght

IvSeenTwilght Member

I would buy mostly sourdough bread from the store when I was vegan because it usually is made with ingredients that are simple and vegan. Many breads are vegan, but you need to check the ingredients. Just make sure there is not milk, whey, eggs or honey (if you don't eat honey). Those can be found in some breads.

1 person likes this.
  4. porkstock41

so vegans do eat yeast then?

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes. Likely you had a flatbread. What was the regional style of the food?

Also, I have a jar of nutritional yeast. It lends a fermented or cheesy flavor to dishes.

6. porkstock41

it was ethiopian food

7. drumminmama

Oh, there isn't supposed to be bakers yeast in injera, it is fermented.
    It's basically a three day souring. Same goes for idly and dosa, though I think the time is different.

1 person likes this.
  8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Microorganisms such as yeast are all over the place. It's impossible not to eat them much of the time. Plus, yeast is also a fungi, not an animal or an animal product. Veganism is all about not eating animal products. Therefore eating bread, drinking beer, etc is acceptable in the vegan diet. So it's weird to me that they didn't include it as an ingredient.

Did this restaurant have any fungi-related foods on the menu?

9. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

isn't plants a living thing ..

10. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Yeah but they don't scream when you cut them down.

11. porkstock41

yeah i also found it odd that they didn't use yeast in their "bread," because, yes, yeast is a fungi.

but drumminmama nailed it, injera is a sourdough bread that doesn't use yeast.

this restaurant does serve mushrooms - i had shittake risotto before, very tasty.

or we just can't hear them

12. drumminmama

Mushroom tibs rocks.

13. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

There is naturally occurring yeast on wheat, it's how they leavened bread since the beginning, they just add water and let the dough ferment.

No added yeast anyway, lol The definition of 'sourdough bread' is simply the original culture or 'mother' is kept going and you inoculate subsequent batches of dough with a small piece of the mother. Not all sourdough bread is sour Btw, the sour part comes in when the culture gets old and starts producing a lot of lactic acid.
    A good bread made with the sourdough method comes out mild and nutty, with none of the tangyness associated with what we generally know as sourdough. It also takes a long time to build up a culture to make the dough rise. Quick rising yeasts are a fairly modern invention, and in modern society's demand for faster everything, it was adopted in just about every american home, fucking up proper home bread making forever. Quick rising yeasts almost always promote over population of the culture and make bread taste yeasty. There's a pizza place in town where they leaven their dough with 'Biga', the yeast that collects on cabbage leaves.

I had injera at an Ethiopian restaurant once...as I recall it was a flat bread served on a large platter, piled with different stuff, a lot of beef cooked in different ways. It was a meal for three. Meant to be eaten with the hands, you just tear off a piece of the bread, scoop up some meat and get it to your mouth, lol there were no utensils made available. I really thought the flat bread was soda leavened though.
    [​IMG]

14. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I wonder if by the same token you would avoid yogurt. Probably not, as yogurt is good for you and not truly alive. You don't kill the yogurt to eat it. :)

16. drumminmama

Let’s get this out there.
    Veganism is a philosophy that says animals (not yeast, fungi, or other culturing agents) are not on the planet for humans to use. That they have basic rights to exist without being “useful” to humans.
    The expression of following the philosophy is to not use or exploit animals or anything made from animals, living or dead, from pearls to wool, to silk, to honey, to milk, to meat, to hides.

A decent until the last section article:
    Can Vegans Eat Yeast?

So to @soulcompromise, a dairy yogurt would be on the avoid list, but not other cultured “milks.”

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Moby is vegan. He has a vegan restaurant. Although I admire him, his music, and his ingenuity as an entrepreneur, I find that a vegan diet would be restrictive for me. I could do it though; I just haven't. Not yet anyway. I might if I thought chicks were going to notice. I think though it's something between me and animals, rather than me and chicks. Anywho... Thanks for your insight @drumminmama!

18. drumminmama

@soulcompromise,
    From my POV as someone who became vegetarian in 1980, it’s far simpler to be vegan now than lacto veg then.
    But it has to be for you, not someone else.

I’ll support someone wanting to start, but I’m not dragging anyone down this path.

dogsy64 and soulcompromise like this.
  19. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

I'm greatly qualified to speak about veganism and the various mindsets that surround it. I grew up in a 50/50 home with a strictly vegan dad and a mom who did eat some meat. Perhaps that's the root of why today I describe myself as quasi - vegan in that 5 days a week I'm vegan and then partake of some meats or fish the remaining two days . I do not drink milk either although I do enjoy eggs.
    Growing up I learned the best of both worlds and the truth of nutrition based thinking.

With all this being said I've discovered some disturbing trends among vegans as they take separate paths, for instance I know one person who says never eat pineapple and on her list of fruits she does eat only eating certain ones at certain times. Others say never eat bread at all . Never eat bread ? Hello ! Bread is an ancient food going back as far as known history takes us essentially and is good for you as long as it doesn't contain white flour. Had ancient forebears not had this basic staple none of us would be here at all , it was a mainstay.
    Vegans have now divided into groups all with their own set of rules , do this don't do that, only in the morning , only in the evening etc. It's evolving into a mind boggling array of prohibitions and guidlines rather than a focus on healthy eating as it should be.

There really is a war on wheat it seems and now everyone is being diagnosed with Coeliacs Disease it's come from no where to being very common. I enjoy my stone ground whet bread although I don't eat more than a slice at a time and so did my vegan dad.

My approach is that meats should never comprise more than 20% of one's caloric intake and that the remaining time should be spent enjoying fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts.

There's only four things I recommend anyone never consuming , they are , white flour, sugar, high fructose corn syrup and denatured white rice.

My dad was in his 90's when he died if he were alive today he would laugh in amusement at what radical thinking has done to something that is after all so very simple !

I believe all food should taste good , should be enjoyable, should be nutrition focused and satisfying and that great food is here for us to enjoy sensibly everyday !

It's simple ! Enjoy !

20. drumminmama

@soulcompromise
    Vegans don’t eat dairy yogurt.

@new Athenian

The grains we have today are vastly different because of industrial scale, limited ownership agriculture and the inputs to soil and on crops, mono-cropping a limited number of varietals.
    Also:
    Vegan is a philosophy that translates into diet and purchasing decisions.
    If you eat meat, fish, poultry, eggs or milk, your diet is NOT vegan. You are an omnivore. Know thyself. Embrace it. But you aren’t vegetarian nor vegan in any way.
    Your dishes, your meals on occasion might be strict vegetarian cuisine, but you are not.

We’d welcome you to the fold if you gave up killing sentient things for pleasure.

soulcompromise likes this.