Videography Anybody

Discussion in 'Art' started by ScrubPuppy, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

I purchased a video camera last year and absolutely love the thing. I've really taken an interest in videography and would like to explore the possibilities for creative development. My only problem is that everyone around me is camera shy, so I'm left filming nature or myself. I'm curious, has anybody else hold an interest in shooting video? I'm so wrapped up in it that I've been investing in books to shoot better video.

1 person likes this.
  2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yeah, but not anything you'd like to see lol

3. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

If it's produced correctly, it might be worth watching. You never know.

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

True, true.

5. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Street photography? There's a better umbrella term for the idea but I can't think of it.. essentially, documenting real moments in time, not conducting them. So people saying goodbye at the train station, kids playing soccer, shit like that. Real people doing real things. No permission required.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hi Meaty! [​IMG]

7. MeatyMushroom

Hey Asmo! :punk:

1 person likes this.
  8. Asmodean

I had to check your profile otherwise I wouldn't have guessed!

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Oh I get it now

10. MeatyMushroom

:eek:

What gave it away? I'm trying to clean up :D

11. Asmodean

Nothing gave it away :p I figured you were an older member but didn't recall the nick so I saw display member history and confirmed that I indeed knew you already :bobby:

12. MeatyMushroom

Aha! Well I would have got away with it if it weren't for you, meddling kid!

13. Asmodean

I didn't know it was supposed to be a secret! Ah well, at least I didn't reveal your identity in Random thoughts :D

14. MeatyMushroom

Lol, it's all good. I'm just pulling your leg :D

That's a really strange phrase, it conjures up a very odd image.

15. Asmodean

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Back to the topic at hand guys, Scrubpuppy wants to do some NLE - fun stuff!

I use Sony's video editing suite and it does a really fine pro looking job. Even hi-res from a good camera, and it supports the 3-d cameras as well as multi-camera projects.

Easy to learn... way less expensive than paying out monthly for Adobe's Premiere.

Hope you check back in and let us know what you're up to with that camera.

1 person likes this.
  17. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

Well, now I'm looking at 4k, but can't quite afford the equipment. I've been watching a YouTube channel where the guy uses the Panasonic FV1000...very impressive. I just don't have that much cash to throw at a camera.

18. ~Zen~

I think you should test the waters with a less expensive rig to start... I made the mistake of investing in the latest, greatest digital Hi-Def Sony video camera I could get at the time. Thousands of dollars... shot several different projects and edited them to final and posted on youtube. Nothing went viral, and the socially-important work I thought I had done was lost in the sea of cat and prank videos that predominate the place.

Now, four or five years later I find the camera obsolete, unfixable and replaceable for a mere couple hundred bucks by a decent Go-Pro.

If doing it over again I'd get two or three little cameras and one decent one. Having different angles on any single scene make for a more interesting final product, and opens up more ways to be creative with the editing process.

Happy Shooting!

19. ~Zen~

PS - you could get two little cameras and one go-pro AND the editing software for under $1000 if you shop around. Only other thing I would add to the setup would be a remote wireless microphone. Audio is important as video.

1 person likes this.
  20. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

I'll give it some thought. The last camera I bought was purchased with winnings from playing video slots. It just seems like when a come into some disposable cash, an emergency pops up. The last one was an operation for the family dog who had cancer in his toe.

My perspective on the matter is that I'm putting time and effort into producing videos, I should probably have decent equipment, so my video ia top notch. But I understand you point.