Fruit Juice Is Not Healthy

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Aug 15, 2014.

1. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

It's still fucking delicious.

I mean, you know that sugar is what our bodies run on, right? Too much is a bad thing, and a glass of juice is usually like having several of whatever fruit it is, but without the fiber.... but, meh. Delicious.

And if you're going to carboload, breakfast is the time to do it.

1 person likes this.
  2. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

It's definitely a breakfast thing for me and sometimes the only sugar I'll have all day.

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

RooRshack,

Sugar is what YOUR body and most other people's bodies run on. Everyone except those who are on a ketogenic diet or fasting burn sugar as their primary energy source. I burn fat since I don't eat sugar, and I restrict my carbohydrate intake to 30-50 grams per day. Whatever glucose my body needs can be broken down from protein by the liver by the process of gluconeogenesis. The fact is your body isn't really made to handle any more sugar than is naturally in the blood. Excess sugar is linked to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and a host of other health problems.

I don't do carb-loading. I don't believe in it.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

It is the fructose component of sugar that is the the problem . It can only be digested though the liver and is directly converted to body fat.It is what gives sugar its sweetness. Glucose on the other hand on the other hand is metabolized by every organ in the human body. Ironically, they have the same chemical formula but the atoms are in a different arrangement.

5. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I don't think that that really classifies as irony, but i see what your saying. They both have the same empirical formula.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pressed_Rat

Sugar is a pretty general term. Whether it's fructose, sucrose, or glucose, I don't think any of them are good. Some are worse than others, and indeed fructose is no doubt the worst because of how it's metabolized.

We hear so much about alcohol contributing to fatty liver disease and cirrhosis, yet we rarely hear the same thing about high fructose corn syrup, which is every bit as hard on the liver as alcohol. There are scores of people walking around with a huge bottle of Pepsi right now and they don't know their livers look the same as a person who's been drinking alcohol heavily for the past 30-40 years.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

So, bilby, I'm not sure about this but do you know about these Dextro energy tablets? I thought the sugars in that stuff was mainly glucose but it is just as sweet. Are you sure about fructose being the main/only thing that gives sugar it's sweetness?

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

My liver was all fucked up because I have thyroid problems. My diet was never too bad, but I still can't fix it with food, I need meds for that.
    However, I am trying to reduce sugar, and I've been gluten free for two weeks now haha. That fucking gluten is in almost everything.
    All in all, I think people eat too much of pretty much anything, in general. I'm good with a meal and a half a day.

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

People doing that pure protein diet crap look like they're going to drop dead at any moment....

The reality is, protein's pretty hard on your body. So is sugar.

Our bodies don't work properly on anything - but they work on everything. It's about finding a happy medium.

2 people like this.
  10. Pressed_Rat

I never said anything about a "pure protein" diet. My diet is actually moderate protein and high fat. A true ketogenic diet is a high fat diet. I agree protein is hard on the body, and you only need as much as your body requires. When people eat too much protein, the body converts it to glucose, so a person who is on a high protein diet is running on sugar, much like the person who consumes most of their calories from carbohydrates. I have never advocated a high protein diet.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It would seem that everybody has a different diet that works for them personally.
    It would seem that some diets work for others while the same diet won't work for others.
    It would seem you should just keep doing what works for you.

=]

1 person likes this.
  12. Pressed_Rat

Do you supplement with iodine?

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell do you eat that's got enough fat to power you, but not too much protein?

And, being awash in fat isn't great, either.... to the best of my knowledge.

14. Pressed_Rat

Well, I've went into it all before in other threads, and I don't like repeating myself too much. But as far as what I eat... lots of grass-fed beef (the fattier cuts), fatty fish (salmon, sardines), full-fat dairy (cream, cheese, yogurt), avocado, coconut oil, real butter / ghee, nuts (macadamia nuts, walnuts, pecans), nut butters, seeds (chia seeds, hemp seed, flax seed), dark chocolate, olive / avocado / macadamia nut oils, eggs, bacon...

There is lots you can eat on a ketogenic diet while maintaining a proper fat to protein ratio. You just have to be sure not to overdo it on the protein, because in excess amounts whatever the body cannot use gets converted to glucose in the liver.

Fat is actually harmless despite all the misinformation about it causing heart disease and obesity. First, there are healthy and unhealthy fats, and how your body metabolizes those fats is completely dependent on a person's insulin levels, which are determined by their carbohydrate consumption. When carbs are kept low, fat is rapidly oxidized and used for fuel as opposed to stored and accumulated in the body.

I've went into it all in detail in other threads, and give a brief overview of what the ketogenic diet is in this thread.

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No, I am not taking any supplements atm.

16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Sounds tasty.

But my insulin levels are determined by how many clicks I turn my pen.

I'll give it a look-see at some point.

17. Pressed_Rat

So you have Type 1 diabetes I assume?

18. Asmodean

Very informative, Rat! Although I digged Meridianwest's nuances about fruit juice as well. About nut butter, does this include peanut butter and if not, why so (it seems to contain good fats)? And which ones?

19. Pressed_Rat

I think I've answered this before, but am not sure if it was you or someone else who asked the question. Anyway, peanuts are technically legumes, not nuts, so I tend to avoid them because they're more likely to contain aflotoxins. They are also one of the least nutritionally dense "nuts" and are higher in carbs. They are high in omega-6 fatty acids, which offset a person's omega-3 to 6 ratio and contribute to inflammation within the body. I usually stick to macadamia nuts, walnuts and pecans, as they have the best fat profiles, but I generally believe that all nuts should be consumed in moderation. In my opinion, the healthiest nuts are macadamias, as they are one of the best sources of monounsaturated fats. The carbs in them tend to add up fast if you're eating very many, however, so it's best for some people to limit their consumption of them unless they are looking to gain weight.

20. Asmodean

Yeah I just read the post about peanuts in the "what are you currently eating" thread again :p Thanks for elaborating again though! But when it comes to butter made of nuts I thought it might change some things, as peanutbutter is for one: less inflammatory then peanuts, and 2) of course a different substance so it fats might get absobed/used better by the body (or not... but that's what I'm wondering in the case of peanuts and peanutbutter or with other nuts in general).