The Expendables 3

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Shale

Shale ~

The Expendables 3
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    August 15, 2014

This the third installment of The Expendables movies since 2010 and I have seen them all (and watched the DVD of the first two this week). In fact I am going to plagiarize some of my own stuff from those previous blurbs because what more can one say about this franchise.

I guess the draw for me is the number of old action heroes in one movie, which may appeal to the contemporaries of these actors - the large "baby boom" population. Three of the guys are about my age – late 60s to early 70s. The rest are in their 50s.

However, unlike the other movies, which only had one short-lived young person (Liam Hemsworth) this movie brot on a whole new crew of young ppl who not only did the action stuff but also had computer skills and the same attitude as the old dudes. (You can almost hear Neal Young singing “Old man look at my life I'm a lot like you were …”

The Expendables Cast
    [​IMG]

The Expendables Cast
    [​IMG]

Oh, do we even need a story? I go to these summer matinee action flicks for the absurd escapism and that is all these movies have - lots of explosions, unbelievable shooting and fighting and lots of explosions. Besides, I have decided to skim over the story because as predictable as many scenes may be, I want you to relish any revelations as they come along. You can see that there are a lot of new characters to introduce.

As usual The Expendables, a team of mercenaries doing the dirty work the CIA wants to distance itself from, are on a mission to keep an illegal arms merchant from selling his wares to the wrong ppl. Barney Ross (Sylvester Stallone 68) the Expendables leader and his team of Lee Christmas, (Jason Statham 47) Gunner Jensen, (Dolph Lundgren 56) Toll Road, (Randy Couture 51) Hale Caesar, (Terry Crews 46) and Doctor Death (Wesley Snipes 52 – an original member of the team who returned) are going after him.

Turns out the arms dealer is Conrad Stonebanks (Mel Gibson 58), who has bad history with The Expendables. The CIA contact, Church (Bruce Willis) who was in the previous movies has retired or something and is replaced by Max Drummer (Harrison Ford 72).

This Stoneback is really badass so Ross gets a retired mercenary friend, Bonaparte (Kelsey Grammer 59) to recruit some new blood. This is where The Expendables add John Smilee (Kellan Lutz 29) a former Navy Seal, Luna (Ronda Rousey 27) a knockout of a nightclub bouncer, Mars (Victor Ortiz 27) a sharpshooter and Thorn (Glen Powell 25) a combat veteran and hacker. Also, Ross reluctantly added Galgo (Antonio Banderas 54) a former Spanish soldier and war veteran.

John Smilee - Young Mercenary
    [​IMG]

This large team goes to some blown out hellhole of a country where the CIA has tracked Stonebanks and proceed to blow the place up some more with as much military hardware as the Ferguson Missouri Police Department. Also active in this movie is Trench Mauser (Arnold Schwarzenegger 67) and Yin Yang (Jet Li).

As usual the critics are critical of this movie, just like they were of the previous two. And yet, here it is. I liked this movie better than the previous two. Maybe blending the old warriors with the new shows a reality of growth necessary with any team.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Just saw this one this afternoon

I think this UFC gal Rousey kind of stole the show, her fight scenes were incredible, and Sly himself is still really impressive.

Those two were the standouts