Quitting Norcos, please help

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by NOSiantsfan, Jul 29, 2014.

1. NOSiantsfan

NOSiantsfan Guest

My fiancee has used pain pills recreationally for a few years and now wants to quit. He ran out of his supply today and is dying. What is the best thing I can do? He talked to a friend that is a doctor out of state who doesn't recommend quitting cold turkey. Now he wants to get more so he can wean off of them instead of withdrawing really bad and probably losing his job. Should I try to get more for him so he can wean off of them? We can't afford to have him lose his job. I just don't know what to do. I've never been around drugs of any kind before and have no idea how I am supposed to handle things. Any and all advise is appreciated.

Thank you.

2. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

In the Opiate FAQ stickied on the top of this page is a link for an opiate withdrawal survival guide, and it has some good tips for easing the misery of withdrawal. Edit: It won't let me post the link for some reason, but it's easy to find. Just go to the Opiate FAQ at the top of the page, and toward the bottom is the link for the withdrawal surival guide. In addition to that there are some other things that can help, such as Gabapentin and Tramadol, if you happen to know someone who has access to them.

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yea either get more so he can wean off....or depending on the strength of the pills, there are things like suboxone... but I wouldn't suggest that for coming off of something like hydrocodone or something (because the bup/subs are stronger).....there are also other things that work but check out that link... it prolly lists some of them.

4. happydude_60

I know this is off topic, but damn I'm glad the site moved. Now I can get here normally, without having to use a proxy. For some reason, ever since I upgraded my internet and got a new modem it wouldn't allow me to access the site, so for months I used a proxy, which was a pain in the butt. It seemed like something was blocking my IP, and it wasn't this site. It had something to do with my internet. But the weird thing is that it was only blocking 2 sites, this one and Hip Planet. I had no problems with any other site. But since they moved everything is back to normal. This new format will take some getting used to though. What happened to the Rep? And it doesn't show if people are online or not.

5. Symons12

Symons12 Members

Withdrawal will not kill you, although it can be very uncomfortable. How much norco were you taking at the point that you ran out? Typically, withdrawal will last for about a week, but most people start to feel better after about 3-4 days - and each day after that does get better. I have a friend who just detoxed from opiates and he also had pain, but knew that the reason he started taking the pain meds for was already healed.

6. AndyL2931

AndyL2931 Members

Are you still looking for help? If so let me know

7. happydude_60

I went through it completely one time back in 2010. In all, it lasted about 9 days for the physical withdrawal, although I was still anxious and depressed. The good news is that it peaked at around 3-4 days, then slowly began to taper off. The last few days really weren't that bad. The thing I hated most were the 3-4 nights of insomnia and RLS. It's called "Restless Legs Syndrome" but it was affecting my whole body. A strange squirmy-like feeling in the nerves that makes you want to constantly stretch and contort your arms and legs. Then diarrhea 3-4 times per hour for the first few days. It's something that once you go through once, you never want to go through again. That's what makes people become desperate. Anyway, tapering off gradually is a good way to go, if you do it gradually. It still takes some will power, but it's a lot better than cold turkey. I don't even know why it's called cold turkey. They should call it hell week.