Best fertilizer for house plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by AceK, Jul 25, 2014.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Hello:)

I am seeking information on what is the best fertlizer for house plants, or what would be recommended?

I have a few lucky bamboo, a small pine tree in a pot (may not be a pine, but it has needles like a pine so it is in that family, it is only about 18in high), and several miscellaneous plants i can't remember the names of.

The soil that i used is supposed to have fertilizer, but they have not received any additional fertilizer in over a year.

They all seem to be fine, but I love my plants and just think that they could use a little fertilizer! Plants need nutrients other than just water, sunlight and air, so this is the reason I ask here what is recommended, and also how often should they receive fertilizer and how much?

Thanks,
    Ace:sunny:

2. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

Just ran across your post. We used to use an organic plant food that is mixed with water bought from the store, but then we started making compost tea outside in barrels, and use that. We just stuff a food safe barrel full of weeds, grass, leaves, whatever we remove that is in the way of something, then fill the barrel up with water and let it sit in the sun for at least two weeks, a month is better, then drain it from a valve put into the bottom. It stinks, but it is a very good fertilizer. I read somewhere that house plants should be fed at least every two months. The tea we make should give it that much. If you use a variety of weeds then you get a variety of minerals in the tea. We use a lot of thistles as their roots go down quite deep and pull up a lot of minerals. It may be too smelly for some, but we grow everything 100% organic and this way we know exactly what is going on our plants. We use it in the garden also, putting the tea into two gallon watering jugs without screens on them, and pour the stuff around the plants at least twice throughout the year. We load the garden up good with it before winter, so that it soaks in good for the next season. Kind of labor intensive, but so is working for a buck and buying something. It works well on everything, and will not damage the plants.